Brian - is he getting it wrong?

165 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brian - is he getting it wrong?

by Hoop Blah » 13 Sep 2011 16:38

Even the first half of that season was pretty poor. The difference was that, like post-Christmas last season, we had an in-form forward who was converting a high percentage of chances for the team (many of which he created himself) and papering over the cracks of some pretty poor performances.

It's uncommon for a forward to maintain that kind of form over a whole season and when Doyle's goals dried up our form plummeted.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Sep 2011 16:47

Woodcote Royal As ever, it's so typical of many who thought the sun shone out of Coppell's backside to once again blame the Chairman at the first sign of trouble.

What makes Brian so unique in losing a striker who was clearly ready to play at a higher level? He went on to score against Man U and Chelsea in his first 2 games for WBA, FFS, thus making fools of many who slagged him off last season :| Good players, that would be the type required to challenge for promotion, move on to better clubs and those they leave behind have to find replacements...................go ask some Rotherham fans.

I can't comment on individual performances this season but I know why Shane Long isn't playing in the top flight with us............................because McDermott signed 2 left backs who were not up to the task and insisted on playing his favourite right back and goalkeeper having dropped better alternatives to make way for them. All of the afore mentioned were culpable in yet another poor defensive display that resulted in defeat in the play off final.

Coppell threw away our Premier status and a golden opportunity to return at the first attempt.

Now (and I'm truly saddened to say this) Brian seems to be heading off down that same dark alley.

I'm praying with every bone in my body that I'm wrong because Coppell's last 2 seasons were like watching a car crash in slow motion and I'm not sure I can stand a repeat performance.

Dear god man let it go. We all know you and Royalee are founding members of the we hate Coppell club there's no need to keep on about it.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Sep 2011 16:47

DOYLERSAROYALER
Woodcote Royal
Terminal Boardom
Can't say that the first half of Coppell's last season was like watching a car crash. Sure, our home form in 2009 was dire but we still finished third - having thrown away a fairly impressive position. And, we did beat Wolves twice that season and they went up as Champions.

The away win was a rare trip for me and an excellant performance. A Harperless central midfield of Brynn and Gem holding everything together as we thoroughly deserved our victory and looked like promotion certs but once Harps was fit Gem was "Coppelled" within a few games and it all went down hill from there..................

Over-rated ......even Pearson has found him out ...Sidwell made him look good at Reading ..as soon as Sidwell went he was exposed, and boy was he exposed

:roll:

sidwells hardly looked oxf*rd brilliant since he left harps either tbf, only just found his level now, many moons after splitting up the partnership.
i think the whole idea was that they complimented each others games very well and made a beautiful partnership.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Sep 2011 16:48

sandman
Woodcote Royal As ever, it's so typical of many who thought the sun shone out of Coppell's backside to once again blame the Chairman at the first sign of trouble.

What makes Brian so unique in losing a striker who was clearly ready to play at a higher level? He went on to score against Man U and Chelsea in his first 2 games for WBA, FFS, thus making fools of many who slagged him off last season :| Good players, that would be the type required to challenge for promotion, move on to better clubs and those they leave behind have to find replacements...................go ask some Rotherham fans.

I can't comment on individual performances this season but I know why Shane Long isn't playing in the top flight with us............................because McDermott signed 2 left backs who were not up to the task and insisted on playing his favourite right back and goalkeeper having dropped better alternatives to make way for them. All of the afore mentioned were culpable in yet another poor defensive display that resulted in defeat in the play off final.

Coppell threw away our Premier status and a golden opportunity to return at the first attempt.

Now (and I'm truly saddened to say this) Brian seems to be heading off down that same dark alley.

I'm praying with every bone in my body that I'm wrong because Coppell's last 2 seasons were like watching a car crash in slow motion and I'm not sure I can stand a repeat performance.

Dear god man let it go. We all know you and Royalee are founding members of the we hate Coppell club there's no need to keep on about it.

& what a great club that is!

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Sep 2011 17:00

brendywendy
DOYLERSAROYALER
Woodcote Royal
The away win was a rare trip for me and an excellant performance. A Harperless central midfield of Brynn and Gem holding everything together as we thoroughly deserved our victory and looked like promotion certs but once Harps was fit Gem was "Coppelled" within a few games and it all went down hill from there..................

Over-rated ......even Pearson has found him out ...Sidwell made him look good at Reading ..as soon as Sidwell went he was exposed, and boy was he exposed

:roll:

sidwells hardly looked oxf*rd brilliant since he left harps either tbf, only just found his level now, many moons after splitting up the partnership.
i think the whole idea was that they complimented each others games very well and made a beautiful partnership.

Correct me if im wrong Brendy but I think Sidwell went up to Premiership joining Villa .... meanwhile Harper went sideways to Sheff Utd ????...hardly a case for comparison .....at least Sidwell has maintained prem status and is a first team player at Fulham...meanwhile Harper cant even get into Hulls first team

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2011 17:06

Given Sidwell doesn't really play regularly for any of the teams he's been at since leaving us, it's impossible to say whether he'd have done any better than Harper in the Championship. Very much a midfield greater than the sum of it's parts. As was our whole team back then.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 13 Sep 2011 17:09

Ian Royal Given Sidwell doesn't really play regularly for any of the teams he's been at since leaving us, it's impossible to say whether he'd have done any better than Harper in the Championship. Very much a midfield greater than the sum of it's parts. As was our whole team back then.

he seems to be playing plenty this season for fulham.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Sep 2011 17:11

Ian Royal Given Sidwell doesn't really play regularly for any of the teams he's been at since leaving us, it's impossible to say whether he'd have done any better than Harper in the Championship. Very much a midfield greater than the sum of it's parts. As was our whole team back then.

Totally disagree IR ..in the championship Sidwell would have been a far more effective player than Harper ...its all opinion but for me Sidwell >>>>>>Harper...any day

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2011 17:17

DOYLERSAROYALER

Totally disagree IR ..in the championship Sidwell would have been a far more effective player than Harper ...its all opinion but for me Sidwell >>>>>>Harper...any day

But you are judging that based on his performances with Harper. He probably would do better. But there is simply no way one carried the other, no matter which way you try ans spin it. They built up a great understanding and complemented each other well.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Sep 2011 17:21

Ian Royal
DOYLERSAROYALER

But you are judging that based on his performances with Harper. He probably would do better. But there is simply no way one carried the other, no matter which way you try ans spin it. They built up a great understanding and complemented each other well.

No im judging him in his own right ...hes a different player to Harper admitted, but he's a better player than Harper ...didnt see Prem clubs coming in for Harper but Sidwell did make that move ......

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2011 17:25

sandman

I can't comment on individual performances this season but I know why Shane Long isn't playing in the top flight with us............................because McDermott signed 2 left backs who were not up to the task and insisted on playing his favourite right back and goalkeeper having dropped better alternatives to make way for them. All of the aforementioned were culpable in yet another poor defensive display that resulted in defeat in the play off final.

I know it's painful for some of you "know nothings" but the fact you can't see the obvious parallels here really isn't my problem.................you could always fcuk off and buy a brain.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Sep 2011 18:32

Woodcote Royal
sandman

I can't comment on individual performances this season but I know why Shane Long isn't playing in the top flight with us............................because McDermott signed 2 left backs who were not up to the task and insisted on playing his favourite right back and goalkeeper having dropped better alternatives to make way for them. All of the aforementioned were culpable in yet another poor defensive display that resulted in defeat in the play off final.

I know it's painful for some of you "know nothings" but the fact you can't see the obvious parallels here really isn't my problem.................you could always fcuk off and buy a brain.

Well, let me know where you bought yours so that I can avoid the place like the plague.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2011 18:40

Don't Panic! If I told you the chances of you finding it would be nil.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Sep 2011 19:22

Woodcote Royal
sandman

Which makes you one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know-it-all

The man you keep mentioning in every post you make has moved on not just from Reading but from football itself and I'd rather be a know nothing than an arrogant pr1ck like you.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2011 19:46

You calling me arrogant is priceless.

For the record, I don't hate Coppell what I hate is grade A twats like you who can't see beyond is two best seasons and therefore slag anyone who dares to criticize him for the following two that undid most of the good work he achieved with us.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 13 Sep 2011 21:29

McD's been relatively quiet since the Watford game. Not sure what to make of that. I suppose he's learned after his comments before the Watford game ("We're ready", "we've trained well" etc). Any more like that and alongside an iffy result on Saturday and he really will be starting to look stupid and out of touch.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2011 22:23

Woodcote Royal You calling me arrogant is priceless.

For the record, I don't hate Coppell what I hate is grade A twats like you who can't see beyond is two best seasons and therefore slag anyone who dares to criticize him for the following two that undid most of the good work he achieved with us.

I'd say it's accurate, rather than priceless.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 15 Sep 2011 00:56

Says another arrogant twat.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2011 09:51

Woodcote Royal You calling me arrogant is priceless.

massive LOL at undoing the good work.
i can see his mistakes, he can see his mistakes. it still doesnt stop him from being the greatest manager weve ever had though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Sep 2011 10:38

That still doesn't mean his mistakes didn't undo his previous good work though brendy.

165 posts