Brian - is he getting it wrong?

165 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian - is he getting it wrong?

by Wycombe Royal » 12 Sep 2011 09:55

So far from McD we are only seeing a plan A. When we are losing very little changes except they might try and up the tempo a bit (like against Barnsley). Where is the plan B when things aren't working?

Change to three at the back.

Play with three strikers.

Bring on an attacking midfielder to play just behind the striker(s).

Change the passing style.

Play balls through the middle.

We need to stop being predictable.

Sean O'Driscoll probably aready has his tactics sorted for next week as he knows how we will play. He doesn't need to do any work on the training ground to nullify our wing play. He knows he will be able to get his team to pass through our central midfield with ease.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 12 Sep 2011 10:09

leicsRoyal
Cypry
North Somerset Royal Agree with what you say. However the scope for meaningful substitutions was limited from the outset by the make up of the bench which in turn is a product of having a small squad once we discount youngsters not yet up to Championship standard. At the end of the day it comes back to money.

I'm not convinced by that argument - with 5 subs, the bench is limited anyway effectively to four outfield players.....we have 30 players with squad numbers.....sorry but "having a small squad" is a myth....

I believe that Burnley won promotion a couple of seasons ago with the smallest squad in the championship and no reserve team.

Yes but they had a much more experienced manager plus a young squad less likely to be injury prone. Whilst as Cypry says we have 30 names on the back of the programme take out the academy players & the old crocks and we are pretty thin in comparison.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 12 Sep 2011 10:14

In my opinion, Federici must be 'rested' and McCarthy reinstated.

McCarthy did no wrong when he took over for an unbeaten spell when Federici was injured and he was then unfairly dropped in favour of the 'more experienced' Federici.

Federici does not appear to inspire confidence in those in front of him and I still wonder whether his heart is fully in Reading FC.

Bite the bullet, Brian!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Sep 2011 10:33

Much more of this and McDermott's job must be at risk.

No need to make any rash decisions though - give him another six games to see what he can do.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 12 Sep 2011 11:53

I blame the players more than the manager TBH - they just look like they really cant be bothered. However, I do wonder if Bri is perhaps a bit too nice, I would hope they got a pretty good bollocking after Sat but not sure if thats his style.

Also those laying into McAnuff - yes he doesnt seem to display much leadership on the pitch, he's not a shouter. However, I have no idea what sort of leader he is off the pitch & in the dressing room so its hard to judge. Its not just up to the captain to lead anyway - other personalities should be standing up as well. When we conceded the goals on sat, every player had their head down and they didnt even look at each other.

Confidence will be a major prob now - which is why players such as Kebe wont be taking the opposition on - I hope McD can sort this out like he did before. They also mentioned on the radio that although this group of players are lovely and get on really well, they could be lacking some bigger characters who will be shouting and rallying the troops in the dressing room

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Sep 2011 12:03

Isn't it the managers job to motiv8 the players and get them putting some effort in?

Kebe was a disgrace on Saturday - I worked up more of a sweat drinking my half time beer.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Sep 2011 12:04

as kebes number one fan i can do nowt but agree.
awful.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 12 Sep 2011 12:08

Maguire Isn't it the managers job to motiv8 the players and get them putting some effort in?

it is partly his role but the players should be fighting for their shirts anyway

if they still look as unmotivated in a few games time, it will def fall on McD's shoulders

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 12 Sep 2011 12:16

Something told me Kebe's interest had long gone when watching Leicester highlights and he took a casual stroll back as the second goal went in

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 12 Sep 2011 12:28

That performance was an utter shambles from the 11 on the pitch to the tactics and hoof ball we're playing.

Why when we can all see it are we still not trying to play football? We've got some superb wingers here but fck me we just hoof and hope and cut them out.

Everyone needs to look at themselves and go back to basics, incliuding the manager. Get the ball on the floor, drop those that are putting half-arsed performances (Legs, Griffin) and give some of the others a deserved chance in the side.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 12 Sep 2011 12:41

Ian Royal
savage 4 england
handbags_harris
Well please forgive me for pointing this out, but you clearly have absolutely no clue what a diamond formation is. A diamond formation is a narrow, solid unit which utilises central midfielders with differing qualities. You have a base "Makelele" player protecting the back four, you have two typical English up and down players defending and attacking, and you have an attacking midfielder at the fulcrum, just behind the front two. It is not a wide, expansive formation that looks to exploit wingers, it is a narrow formation with any width provided by forward-thinking full backs.

Your idea mirrors mine however, so at least you're thinking along the right lines 8)

Thanks for your insightful tactical knowledge.

I was using the diamond in a loose way. I was simply emphasising the change from two box-to-box midfielders. I sincerely apologise.

Essentially what you are asking for is to have our midfield even more wide open than it is already with just one player to look after the defence and cover runners. A diamond with genuine wingers is a horrendus idea.

Like I said the other central midfielder wouldn't have a completely free role, so would still have some defensive responsibilities. Under Coppell Sidwell was given license to get forward with Harper often doing a lot of the covering. I understand that now we have more out and out wingers, but McAnuff shows great discipline and Kebe would still be dangerous from a deeper position.

I think Howard is the best man for the job, as he has shown good defensive capabilities (09/10). I think his touch isn't what it should be and he takes too much time on the ball, however he can pick out a good pass.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Sep 2011 17:28

Elmer Park When results are poor the Manager has to take some of the blame and after each game it is very easy to pick holes in his team selection.

However, certainly on Saturday, the players let him down. We all have views about individuals in the team and might have one or two different preferences in specific positions but at the end of the day the team McDermott fielded should have been good enough to be able to win a home game against Watford (with due respect).

The Captaincy issue is a red herring and people are becoming too obsessed with it. We don't have the sort of leader people seem to want in our team anyway and if we did they would be showing it anyway even without the armband. What's more to strip someone of the Captaincy is a pretty insulting step so it isn't going to happen, nor should it.

As for team selection, without the benefit of hindsight, McDermott has made selections so far this season which are perfectly logical. He found himself in a situation where he lost three regular members of the team from last season and felt that was upheaval enough and has tried to stick as near as possible to the rest of the regular line up that played most of the games last season which up to this early stage in the season seems perfectly logical to me.

In the last home match we created a lot of chances and two bits of sloppy defending and two penalty misses cost us the points. It's perfectly understandable that McDermott would have thought the introduction of Gorkss might eliminate the sloppy defending and that Le Fondre would be able to convert some of the chances the same midfield who played on Saturday created against Barnsley. The established players let him down so he has a right to question almost every player's place in the side now and the team selection for the Doncaster game is going to be a difficult one and a test of McDermott's management skills.

Really good post.

The big question is will McDermott show faith the players can dig in and turn it around, giving them two or three more games to do so, or will he ring the changes to system and or personel. I know what I'd probably do in the circumstances as shown by my team thread for Donny, but I don't think yuo can really argue with either choice from a management point of view given McDermott knows the squad so much better than us.

One thing he can't do, is stick with the same team for more than two or three games if it isn't working, or keep making regular changes to the side. It is important it settles, there's no other way they'll get their understanding back.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Sep 2011 19:41

Seems like Brian's damned if he sticks with the same squad and damned if he makes changes.

Yeah, damned right it'll be interesting to see what happens on Saturday.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 12 Sep 2011 23:43

Maguire Isn't it the managers job to motiv8 the players and get them putting some effort in?

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_lPJ8h ... ata_player

Lol

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 13 Sep 2011 07:14

wycombe royal wrote: So far from McD we are only seeing a plan A. When we are losing very little changes except they might try and up the tempo a bit (like against Barnsley). Where is the plan B when things aren't working?

There is no B- plan you just have to look at the 4 outfield palyers selected on the bench.

A big shake up is required to sort this rabble out:

Drop McAnuff and give Hal Robson Kanu and a run in the side for one.

Drop Pearce for Morrsion the lad can do not worse than the performaces put in by Pearce and Bongo.

Cummings needs to come in for Griffin.

Play Hunt and Adam Le Fondre up front.

Leigherwood needs a kick up up the arse to get back to what he was doing last season... if he fails to do anything in the next few games bring Tabb or Howard in.

Gorkss need to be given the capataincy now before it's too late.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2011 14:43

As ever, it's so typical of many who thought the sun shone out of Coppell's backside to once again blame the Chairman at the first sign of trouble.

What makes Brian so unique in losing a striker who was clearly ready to play at a higher level? He went on to score against Man U and Chelsea in his first 2 games for WBA, FFS, thus making fools of many who slagged him off last season :| Good players, that would be the type required to challenge for promotion, move on to better clubs and those they leave behind have to find replacements...................go ask some Rotherham fans.

I can't comment on individual performances this season but I know why Shane Long isn't playing in the top flight with us............................because McDermott signed 2 left backs who were not up to the task and insisted on playing his favourite right back and goalkeeper having dropped better alternatives to make way for them. All of the afore mentioned were culpable in yet another poor defensive display that resulted in defeat in the play off final.

Coppell threw away our Premier status and a golden opportunity to return at the first attempt.

Now (and I'm truly saddened to say this) Brian seems to be heading off down that same dark alley.

I'm praying with every bone in my body that I'm wrong because Coppell's last 2 seasons were like watching a car crash in slow motion and I'm not sure I can stand a repeat performance.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Sep 2011 14:52

[img]joey%20deacon%20picture%20with%20his%20tongue%20in%20his%20bottom%20lip%20going%20duuuh[/img]

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Sep 2011 15:26

Woodcote Royal As ever, it's so typical of many who thought the sun shone out of Coppell's backside to once again blame the Chairman at the first sign of trouble.

What makes Brian so unique in losing a striker who was clearly ready to play at a higher level? He went on to score against Man U and Chelsea in his first 2 games for WBA, FFS, thus making fools of many who slagged him off last season :| Good players, that would be the type required to challenge for promotion, move on to better clubs and those they leave behind have to find replacements...................go ask some Rotherham fans.

I can't comment on individual performances this season but I know why Shane Long isn't playing in the top flight with us............................because McDermott signed 2 left backs who were not up to the task and insisted on playing his favourite right back and goalkeeper having dropped better alternatives to make way for them. All of the afore mentioned were culpable in yet another poor defensive display that resulted in defeat in the play off final.

Coppell threw away our Premier status and a golden opportunity to return at the first attempt.

Now (and I'm truly saddened to say this) Brian seems to be heading off down that same dark alley.

I'm praying with every bone in my body that I'm wrong because Coppell's last 2 seasons were like watching a car crash in slow motion and I'm not sure I can stand a repeat performance.

Can't say that the first half of Coppell's last season was like watching a car crash. Sure, our home form in 2009 was dire but we still finished third - having thrown away a fairly impressive position. And, we did beat Wolves twice that season and they went up as Champions.

If we continue to focus our attacks out wide then the full backs need to get forward much more than Griffin and Harte do. Otherwise it will be dull. Very dull.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2011 16:12

Terminal Boardom
Can't say that the first half of Coppell's last season was like watching a car crash. Sure, our home form in 2009 was dire but we still finished third - having thrown away a fairly impressive position. And, we did beat Wolves twice that season and they went up as Champions.

The away win was a rare trip for me and an excellant performance. A Harperless central midfield of Brynn and Gem holding everything together as we thoroughly deserved our victory and looked like promotion certs but once Harps was fit Gem was "Coppelled" within a few games and it all went down hill from there..................

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Sep 2011 16:30

Woodcote Royal
Terminal Boardom

The away win was a rare trip for me and an excellant performance. A Harperless central midfield of Brynn and Gem holding everything together as we thoroughly deserved our victory and looked like promotion certs but once Harps was fit Gem was "Coppelled" within a few games and it all went down hill from there..................

Over-rated ......even Pearson has found him out ...Sidwell made him look good at Reading ..as soon as Sidwell went he was exposed, and boy was he exposed

165 posts