Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Celebrations ruined

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2011 11:08

the most noise, an empty vessel makes brendo
fanks yoda

John Peel

by John Peel » 15 Sep 2011 13:03

brendywendy cant agree more with that. the last thing i want for my club if for some random business man to come in, pump a load of money in that he'll want to take back out with profit when he loses eventually interest.
perfectly happy to allow the club to develop in an organic manner, and get success based purely on gradual progress, good planning,spending what we bring in, and development of young players.
and for that i cant think of a better chairman than JM.

i understand that this may not fit with the majority of fans though

In which case we are unlikely to be anything more than a Championship club with perhaps the odd chance of the top flight every now and again. Or unless, as Svlad said, football governance and finance changes (although i dont think it will). Which is all fine as I will support the club whatever happens, but I will always have that niggling doubt that we could be more than that. I also think you're right that the majority of established fans would probably take this given we are the most successful we have ever been. Give it 10 years though and this is all people would have really known and may want more.

Essentially though the fate of the club is out of the hands of any Hob Nobber! The reason people whinge on here is probably because they're frustrated as they know there's nothing they can do (although some are genuine knobs too of course).

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 15 Sep 2011 13:47

Terminal Boardom
Vic_Flange
Terminal Boardom
The Team Board hits a new low :|

How very dare you.

I am 6ft 7.

You ARE Clive Goddard AICMFP :lol:

:) What,that little short ar$e?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2011 15:45

John Peel
brendywendy cant agree more with that. the last thing i want for my club if for some random business man to come in, pump a load of money in that he'll want to take back out with profit when he loses eventually interest.
perfectly happy to allow the club to develop in an organic manner, and get success based purely on gradual progress, good planning,spending what we bring in, and development of young players.
and for that i cant think of a better chairman than JM.

i understand that this may not fit with the majority of fans though

In which case we are unlikely to be anything more than a Championship club with perhaps the odd chance of the top flight every now and again. Or unless, as Svlad said, football governance and finance changes (although i dont think it will). Which is all fine as I will support the club whatever happens, but I will always have that niggling doubt that we could be more than that. I also think you're right that the majority of established fans would probably take this given we are the most successful we have ever been. Give it 10 years though and this is all people would have really known and may want more.

Essentially though the fate of the club is out of the hands of any Hob Nobber! The reason people whinge on here is probably because they're frustrated as they know there's nothing they can do (although some are genuine knobs too of course).

championship winning team cost less than 5 million. 8th place in the prem team was only 1.5 million more.
and im not sure what is so bad about "the odd chance of the prem" cos thats the only way id take anysatisfaction from it.
some bloke coming in and "giving" us 40 million to spend on players would just mean it was ll down to that, rather than from being a good football club.
imo

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 16 Sep 2011 12:56

Svlad Cjelli
John Peel Fair dos Brendy!

Svlad, what you describe as 'realism' someone else could quite fairly attribute to lack of ambition. I'll rephrase that actually, lack of 'enough' ambition, because yes you're right we do have some ambition at least. Other clubs decided not to be scared off by the potential failure. Yes, some have cocked up royally by showing too much 'ambition' too quickly but others have succeeded. That's just the world of business for you. SJM isn't prepared to take the risk (fair enough, it's his money) but is desperate for someone else to take on that risk instead. Hence getting someone else in could potentially be a great thing for this club. I don't see many Man City fans complaining (yet!).

But all the ambition in the world isn't enough if you don't have the resources to back it up. I have ambition to be a multi-millionaire, but I'm not prepared to go to Vegas and put everything I won on 16 Red. Yes, it has worked for others, but for the majority it's cocked up royally - and the key points are that I know how likely it would be to succeed (not very) and what the consequencies would be (disastrous!).

And would you really want us to be like Man City? I can think of nothing worse. All the worst things about today's football - multiplied by a million. Or is success of the field the only, single thing that matters about supporting a football club?

It is according to the behemoth that is SKY!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 16 Sep 2011 13:34

I refer you to my previous comment :
All the worst things about today's football - multiplied by a million

Sky have done more to ruin football for match-going supporters than any other person or organisation.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 19 Sep 2011 12:45

Svlad Cjelli I refer you to my previous comment :

Sky have done more to ruin football for match-going supporters than any other person or organisation.

That would depend on your perspective. I don't think you can argue that the "Sky era" has seen the standard of football rise across the divisions - unfortunately it also means the astronomical sums paid to and hero worship of players for essentially being able to kick a ball to a teammate or into a net.

I don't like all the hype that goes with the Sky methodolgy where every game is "A vital three points" and the only highlights anyone's supposedly interested in are goals.

And then there's that Scottish pratt they have on SSN who almost bursts a blood vessel every half hour on every transfer deadline day.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 20 Sep 2011 09:25

I've clocked up 46 years in various shades and combinations of blue and white. It's not pretty at the moment, but over the past 6-7 years we have enjoyed a club with a higher profile and more success than I can remember. Despite our bargain basement approach, I remain confident. I really have seen far far worse and, for a year or two, far better. If you follow a 'smaller' team, you have to take the downs with the ups, especially in the current financial climate.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Sep 2011 13:33

bobby m's syrup I've clocked up 46 years in various shades and combinations of blue and white. It's not pretty at the moment, but over the past 6-7 years we have enjoyed a club with a higher profile and more success than I can remember. Despite our bargain basement approach, I remain confident. I really have seen far far worse and, for a year or two, far better. If you follow a 'smaller' team, you have to take the downs with the ups, especially in the current financial climate.

But given what we have achieved in recent years and then factoring in other things like our good stadium plus an excellent and very affluent catchment area, is it right that we should still regard ourselves as a 'smaller' team or are we in fact underperforming?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Sep 2011 13:34

If you still hate Futcher
Svlad Cjelli I refer you to my previous comment :

That would depend on your perspective. I don't think you can argue that the "Sky era" has seen the standard of football rise across the divisions .

Has it though?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 20 Sep 2011 14:03

Depends what you mean by "standard of football."

Technical standards have gone up. Passion has gone down.

I know what I prefer to watch, and it's not foreigners who don't give a tinker's cuss for the club they play for kissing the badge on their shirt before doing an elaborate choreographed dance routine because they scored a goal that involved half a dozen pretentious stepovers that'll get them top billing on next week's Soccer AM.

zummerset

by zummerset » 20 Sep 2011 14:06

Thanks to SKY I get to watch shed loads more football than I did before and I can still go to matches whenever I want...not sure what the issue is really

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 20 Sep 2011 14:09

The originbal phrase I posted was "Sky have done more to ruin football for match-going supporters than any other person or organisation."

Please note the highlighted words in the middle.

zummerset

by zummerset » 20 Sep 2011 14:12

I am a match going supporter so whats the point SC?

134 posts