zummerset

Re: Cedric Baseya

by zummerset » 21 Sep 2011 17:06

Good post FL..and welcome to the club Cedric

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 21 Sep 2011 17:08

Hoop Blah
Hoop Blah You sure about Federici? I'm sure he was part of the squad at that time because I thought I used to see him at the gym. Maybe it was when he was with us on a non-contract basis.

I'd include Dobson because he was part of the squad. He was only saved from playing because of Sonko and Ingimarsson's outstanding lack on injuries and suspensions.

Just checked, he was sub not used against Luton in the Carling Cup, Sept 05, so he must've been with us in some capacity.

Hoop Blah is right. He was on a non-contract basis for about the season having previously trained with Wolves. That would be when he used to sleep on Sonko's floor if I am correct.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Sep 2011 17:13

GreaterTorontoRoyal
Hoop Blah
Hoop Blah You sure about Federici? I'm sure he was part of the squad at that time because I thought I used to see him at the gym. Maybe it was when he was with us on a non-contract basis.

I'd include Dobson because he was part of the squad. He was only saved from playing because of Sonko and Ingimarsson's outstanding lack on injuries and suspensions.

Just checked, he was sub not used against Luton in the Carling Cup, Sept 05, so he must've been with us in some capacity.

Hoop Blah is right. He was on a non-contract basis for about the season having previously trained with Wolves. That would be when he used to sleep on Sonko's floor if I am correct.

From Wiki

"He signed for Reading in January 2005 on non-contract terms, and was quickly loaned out to Maidenhead. He spent the second half of the 2005–06 season on loan at Carshalton Athletic. Federici signed his first professional contract for Reading in the summer of 2006, and in a subsequent pre-season friendly match on 15 July, scored the only goal of the game against Bromley, having been played as a makeshift striker".

I guess he was around from Jan 05 but had absolutely zero chnace of playing a league game that season - so not part of the squad.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 21 Sep 2011 17:26

Federici's then girlfriend worked at HSBC in Apex Plaza. He was a proper transient Aussie back then, desperate to become a pro and intent to work as hard as it takes to make his dream happen, via bedroom floors, non-contract basis etc.

Rags to riches.

Oh and he dumped the girl when he got his deal I believe

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Sep 2011 17:35

Friday's Legacy we have some really whiny people on here. this lad will be on a the lowest of wages and is well worth looking at. bit of a rough diamond who we have kept an eye on for a while. if nothing comes of it then so what?

What in his record so far makes him well worth looking at?

And would not all of these low (in footballers terms only) wages perhaps be better consolidating into one to enable the signing of a player with a better record. IM0 far better a smaller squad with higher levels of quality than squad number 40+ . Footballers don't just cost in terms of wages, it's all the extras that go with having them on your books.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 21 Sep 2011 17:41

To be fair to him, it would appear he has scored at least one goal as a professional, albeit in a reserves game:

http://www.crewealex.net/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10414~42398,00.html

buddy1983

by buddy1983 » 21 Sep 2011 17:41

Z175 Federici's then girlfriend worked at HSBC in Apex Plaza. He was a proper transient Aussie back then, desperate to become a pro and intent to work as hard as it takes to make his dream happen, via bedroom floors, non-contract basis etc.

Rags to riches.

Oh and he dumped the girl when he got his deal I believe

Nice guy lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2011 17:51

andrew1957 From Wiki

"He signed for Reading in January 2005 on non-contract terms, and was quickly loaned out to Maidenhead. He spent the second half of the 2005–06 season on loan at Carshalton Athletic. Federici signed his first professional contract for Reading in the summer of 2006, and in a subsequent pre-season friendly match on 15 July, scored the only goal of the game against Bromley, having been played as a makeshift striker".

I guess he was around from Jan 05 but had absolutely zero chnace of playing a league game that season - so not part of the squad.

But absolutely our third choice keeper at the time though wasn't he? If either Hahnemann or Stack had picked up a knock we'd have called him back. If you're going to count Locke in your numbers for this year then Federici counts for that year seeing as he spent August to Jan in the squad and then went on loan.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Sep 2011 17:55

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Sep 2011 18:49

RoyalBlue
Friday's Legacy we have some really whiny people on here. this lad will be on a the lowest of wages and is well worth looking at. bit of a rough diamond who we have kept an eye on for a while. if nothing comes of it then so what?

i would suggest the fact the football club who have been "keeping an eye on him" for some time means he is well worth looking at. it's a 10 month deal, or if we like what we see we can activate a further 12 months. it's low risk, low cost, and who's to say he wont prove to be another doyle, long, kitson, shorey, ingimarsson, stephen hunt etc etc? reading have taken many punts, not all come off but when they do they are well worth looking at. it's low risk, low cost, and if mcdermott and his scouts and coaching staff believe he has something about him then he is worth taking a look at over the next 10 months. quit moaning. it's the reading way and it's proved a MASSIVE success over the last 8 years.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2011 19:01

Let's hope he does work out, it just seems more than a bit odd to be bringing in yet another unproven forward. With the number of them we have at the moment he might even struggle to get on the bench for the reserves.

As much as I hope he's the next rags to riches story for the club I'm not sure that us 'watching him for some time' is that much of an endorsement. The last few I remember them saying that about were Morrison, Fae, Halford and Brett Williams!!!

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 21 Sep 2011 19:35

I'm just waiting on Spaceys take on this... :)

Welcome to the club Cedric

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 21 Sep 2011 19:37

Friday's Legacy
RoyalBlue

i would suggest the fact the football club who have been "keeping an eye on him" for some time means he is well worth looking at. it's a 10 month deal, or if we like what we see we can activate a further 12 months. it's low risk, low cost, and who's to say he wont prove to be another doyle, long, kitson, shorey, ingimarsson, stephen hunt etc etc? reading have taken many punts, not all come off but when they do they are well worth looking at. it's low risk, low cost, and if mcdermott and his scouts and coaching staff believe he has something about him then he is worth taking a look at over the next 10 months. quit moaning. it's the reading way and it's proved a MASSIVE success over the last 8 years.

It's been a success that's true. But I think massive only really applies if you ignore the ever growing number of failures that we have had during that same time. Perhaps someone should start off a list. I reckon we would all be surprised by the number of names that appear on it.

Personally I would prefer to see far less spent on longshots and a bit more on those with proven quality.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Sep 2011 19:46

Royal Lady Well I'm prepared to eat a whole humble pie if he comes good and is another Doyle (or Kevin Philips - LOL) - but are those ,who have the opposite views to me, prepared to do the same if he turns out to be a wet fish? :|

Yep

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 21 Sep 2011 20:22

The whole everything about this bloke, his non-history, his non-prolific scoring record, the fact the Scummers let him go.......um everything else, and his miniscule wages! :shock: means this nonentity, poundland signing will probably be a ripper!

Jesus wept.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Sep 2011 20:49

RepressedRoyal It reminds me of my dear old Dad when he goes to LIDLS or ALDI. He buys something like a pot yeast extract (imitation marmite) for 5p and it stays in his cupboard for a year without being used before he finally realises it is not fit for purpoose and chucks it away. Pointless signing one suspects.

I like the analogy :)

Does this open up a whole new challenge of comparing players to foodstuffs or likening them to purchases? Maybe not!

I look forward to a new buy that is likened to a vintage rolex, that is expensive in the first place and gains in value over time

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Sep 2011 21:39

Lets face it, unless we're in for a massive surprise, he isn't going to be in the squad ahead of at least Hunt, Le Fondre & Manset, probably Church or HRK, so genuinely what is the point?

None of our strikers have proven themselves as first choice goalscorers at this level, so why bring in someone else who is a massive rough diamond.

You can say it's a low risk gamble, but the fact is, if you bring in a dozen low risk gambles, they all add up. Our problem in the Prem was having a big squad of mediocre players on relatively low wages and it cost us when we got relegated because even low cost gambles are still money out.

The criticism isn't that he's shit and can't come good, it's what is the point of signing him given the options we already have and his pedigree so far. Does anyone seriously expect him to feature much this season?

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 21 Sep 2011 21:45

Shane Long had only ever played 1 professional game when we signed him, now look at him. Although i do agree that this a bit strange.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Sep 2011 21:52

RoyalJames101 Shane Long had only ever played 1 professional game when we signed him, now look at him. Although i do agree that this a bit strange.

He was also 18 or younger, came to footbal late and was extremely well rated as a prospect as his club.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Sep 2011 22:11

manny96 If he were Long's replacement, I'd get the anger. Otherwise, chilldogs. Also, Mooney got a goal against Blackburn last night. Even if Cedric doesn't get a minute of gametime in the league, we can probably shift him at a profit with a bit of good PR.

How do you make a profit on a free transfer?

418 posts