Cedric Baseya

418 posts
Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Re: Cedric Baseya

by Svlad Cjelli » 21 Sep 2011 11:27

NR_Royal Just laughed so hard it hurts. ZERO goals

Dean Horrix (RIP) scored ZERO goals for months, but it was his presence that created hat-fulls for Trevor Senior.

Perhaps they want to try someone big and aggressive to get knock-downs for ALF?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 21 Sep 2011 11:28

RG30 Pointless signing when we only invested in Brett Williams 9 months back who now seems further away from the first team then when he first signed.

Perhaps this signing is because they've now written off Williams making it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Sep 2011 11:32

Wimb that's less than £100k over the length of his deal, hardly busting the bank .

It is when our current wage structure is not sustainable. Look at the accounts. We cannot afford to be spending money like this.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 21 Sep 2011 11:33

6'4 will come in handy.

Let's hope he's more Kitson than Mooney.

Ferris Has scored 0 goals in his professional career. Prolific.

You spelt pathetic wrong.

Welcome to the club Bas #2. 8)

retro royal

by retro royal » 21 Sep 2011 11:41

He's here for Brett Williams, Reading FC's charity for players not quite good enough.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 21 Sep 2011 11:42

Hunt, Church, Manset, Le Fondre, B Williams, HRK (at a push), Bignall and now Baseya. Add to that the likes of Murphy and Ugwu in the development squad :|

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 21 Sep 2011 11:48

FiNeRaIn
Wimb that's less than £100k over the length of his deal, hardly busting the bank .

It is when our current wage structure is not sustainable. Look at the accounts. We cannot afford to be spending money like this.

By that logic, we can never afford to offer an academy product a contract. We can never afford cheap signings like Doyle and Long. We should save all the cash, however small, for established first teamers so that we don't increase the deficit.

Poor logic. We take chances on several academy players and cheap, basement signings. Some will come good, offer something to the team and be sold on at a good value. Some won't. You just assume that the success stories will more than cancel out the failures. Up front, we now have Williams and this guy in development. We also have Bignall in the academy and other kids in the development team; Ugwu and Murphy. If 1 or 2 out of all these guys come good and offer something to the team, that will probably cancel out the expense of all the others.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Sep 2011 11:49

Wtf is going on?!

He's not even a buy for the future, he's 24 in three months.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2011 11:49

I'm not writing the lad off, but what a truely bizarre signing.

We've got quite a few options upfront now, most of which are young and with quite a bit to prove, so I don't see any point in bringing in a very similar player to add to that list.

As for having trust in the scouting network etc etc, if that scouting network was so sound and proven to make it above question then the likes of Williams (x2), Mooney, Vasilev, Bozanic, Antonio, Manset, Morrison etc etc would be running out in our first team week-in week-out and we wouldn't be needing to bring in more of these gambles.

I don't expect them all to pay off because they're usually cheap for a reason. I'm not against taking a few cheap punts here and there but do we really need to keep throwing good money away on so many of these players.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Sep 2011 11:50

Svlad Cjelli

Dean Horrix (RIP) scored ZERO goals for months, but it was his presence that created hat-fulls for Trevor Senior.

We really have well and truly moved on from Doyle, Kitson, Lita, Long, Hunt etc, haven't we.

Hit and hope.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Sep 2011 11:51

rhroyal Poor logic. We take chances on several academy players and cheap, basement signings. Some will come good, offer something to the team and be sold on at a good value. Some won't. You just assume that the success stories will more than cancel out the failures. Up front, we now have Williams and this guy in development. We also have Bignall in the academy and other kids in the development team; Ugwu and Murphy. If 1 or 2 out of all these guys come good and offer something to the team, that will probably cancel out the expense of all the others.

We can't afford this. What do you guys not understand? We need to cut the cloth to make ourselves more sustainable. This is a completely pointless signing when we have 7 other options up front. Needless expenses. We weren't struggling when we bought people like doyle and long, even they however were more proven than this guy.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Sep 2011 11:52

cmonurz
Svlad Cjelli

We really have well and truly moved on from Doyle, Kitson, Lita, Long, Hunt etc, haven't we.

Hit and hope.

Hardly.

Cedric is the only punt of a signing made this window.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 21 Sep 2011 11:53

Can I say that I expect him to score us 20 goals this season?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 21 Sep 2011 11:55

FiNeRaIn
rhroyal Poor logic. We take chances on several academy players and cheap, basement signings. Some will come good, offer something to the team and be sold on at a good value. Some won't. You just assume that the success stories will more than cancel out the failures. Up front, we now have Williams and this guy in development. We also have Bignall in the academy and other kids in the development team; Ugwu and Murphy. If 1 or 2 out of all these guys come good and offer something to the team, that will probably cancel out the expense of all the others.

We can't afford this. What do you guys not understand? We need to cut the cloth to make ourselves more sustainable. This is a completely pointless signing when we have 7 other options up front. Needless expenses. We weren't struggling when we bought people like doyle and long, even they however were more proven than this guy.

We won't ever be sustainable, though, except by transfer income. So the sums for this guy won't make a difference.

And as long as the costs for this guy are within the "football budget" - and I'd be pretty much certain they would be - then I have no problem with us taking this low-risk gamble.

In fact, I think that although this has been flagged as a "signing" it's probably really more like an "extended trial".

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Sep 2011 11:56

It's like the Erik Opsahl and the canadian guy who's name escapes me signing.

9 month contract, prove you've got it otherwise bye bye.

Only one of them proved it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Sep 2011 11:58

We are going down the same route as Bradford, Leeds and Portmouth by spending money we haven't got on players. Having studied the accounts as closely as I have( backed by a strong history in finance), I feel in a position to comment that we have massive financial worries as it is with our wage structure, we simply cannot afford more baggage that won't contribute directly to the team on a regular basis. I really hope we sell some squad players soon to ease our wage structure.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Sep 2011 12:01

The sarcasm is literally dripping from your posts, FR.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2011 12:01

Comparing this signing to Doyle and Long is a bit of a false argument.

Doyle was signed as our 3rd choice forward and was a very cheap gamble at that level. Long was not only a bit of a makweight in the deal he was also an 18 year old even bigger gamble but was still probably 4th or 5th choice and replacing Bas Savage in the general scheme of things (Obinna and Cox the other two in contention at the time?). This is a different kettle of fish.

If what McDermott wanted was a big target man then I'd say he should've saved this money, and that of a couple of other waste of space squad players, and made Henderson an offer in the summer.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 21 Sep 2011 12:02

FiNeRaIn

What do we not understand? You've just ignored every point of my response to your initial argument and repeated your initial stance. Smacks of misunderstanding to me.

I'll respond in king and spell out my logic again, perhaps more clearly for your sake. You clearly didn't read it first time.

1) Keep several cheap, young strikers on the books.

2) Give them chances in reserves/on loan and monitor progress.

3) Hopefully, 1 or 2 offer something to the team. You therefore save ££££ on going out and signing a "proven" striker. if they're really good, sell on at a high price.

4) Let the others go. All cost incurred on them has been cancelled out, and more, by stage 3.

That we currently have a few strikers on our books only makes this less of a risk. It's a £100k or so gamble, nothing more. He won't affect the team if he's not good enough; we aren't in a position to where we need him to step up.

Which relates nicely back to Doyle. This guy is far less a risk than Doyle, as he needed to step up straight away. He did brilliantly, but could not have. Also, we're in a better financial position now than when we signed Doyle and Long. We were making losses year on year back then. The change in the Chairman's attitude has been discussed in relation to this enough and I won't go into it now.

Suffice to say, we can afford this. It's a cheap investment, and peanuts compared to what the senior players will cost us.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Sep 2011 12:05

Can I be the first to say that some of the posts on here are quite frankly embarrassing and cringeworthy at best.

Judge the bloke on the pitch with his Reading shirt on.

Cedric welcome to RFC.

418 posts