Hob Nob Addict

Re: Howard loaned to Millwall

by Big Foot » 26 Sep 2011 23:19

Halle-fackin-lujah

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2011 23:40

At least it is money off the wage bill and strengthens BMcD's determination to persist with 2 cloggers and lumpers in central midfield.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 27 Sep 2011 00:18

Svlad Cjelli
Optimist Really surprised he still didn't get a look in a couple of weeks ago when the changes were rung, but if he's not gonna be used and he handed in a request, then everyone's a winner (except those of us who wanted to see him play).

As for Matejovsky, I loved watching him when he played for us, his vision and choice of pass were exceptional, and often he would even fool team-mates with some of the balls he played, let alone defenders. IMO he was a step above, and I'm still gutted that he left, and that his name carries so much negativity around HNA?

He was undoubtedly skillful, but he was let down by his complete inability to tackle - he was always a yellow card waiting to happen. And pplayer needs the whole package to be effective, not just some of it.

Never was a problem for Scholes.

When we come up against the better teams again soon 4-5-1 is going to be a good formation particularly away from home and the best player to have at the front of the midfield triangle is Howard. It might be a long time before RFC have a central midfielder threatening to get into double figures for the season the way the manager has become so predictable with his style of play.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 27 Sep 2011 08:23

other than a brief flirtation under the Rodgers era we have played with two central midfielders in more defensive position for ages now with attacks reliant on our wingers. Howard was a rodgers signing and just doesnt fit in with the way we play. He's ok - sees a pass, but the execution of the pass lets him down. I'm not really fussed either way. if we were looking to play a brand new style of football then he'd be a key linchpin - but we wont so no point in keeping him.

I'd rather see Brynn in central midfield - we have a fantastic record whenever he plays.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 27 Sep 2011 09:03

Good - If he isn't in McDermott's plans, if we have better options going forward and from the bench, he's off the wage bill.

Bad - If we don't have anyone better who is creative and attack minded, no-one to come off the bench, less options going forwards.

I actually think this is a mistake. He isn't the best of players I know but what else do we have in that attacking role? Jake Taylor is getting L2 experience, Lawson D'Ath looks a prospect but isn't getting bench time, Jay Tabb seems to be more attack minded than Leigertwood, but who can come off the bench to give us that push from midfield?

I hope in January we bring someone in or start giving the likes of D'Ath a go.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 27 Sep 2011 09:25

Harpers So Solid Crew According to Wiki Matejovsky was signed after B Mc had been watching him for a long time, so BM was instrumental in his signing. As for goals neither set the world alight. I would suggest both are in need of a partner, much like Harps and Sidwell made a good partnership. Sadly neither had that at RFC.

Our remaining midfield options make Sidwell and Harper look like Xavi and Iniesta. Millwall looked the better side against us on the opening day so what does Kenny Jackett see in Brian Howard? Maybe he will help the team keep the ball better, provide some link up play and demand the ball off his defenders in a playmakers role. We obviously don`t need such a player. Makes you weep.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Sep 2011 11:50

Ian Royal
Maguire Yeah but you're an idiot

Clearly not as big a one as you, though

Cracking comeback :!:

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 27 Sep 2011 11:52

Ian Royal

I know you are, but what am I?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 27 Sep 2011 12:06

Ferris
Ian Royal

I know you are, but what am I?

:lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Sep 2011 12:09

Terminal Boardom At least it is money off the wage bill and strengthens BMcD's determination to persist with 2 cloggers and lumpers in central midfield.

Cloggers and lumpers who helped get us to the play-off final. Howard hasn't exactly been integral to us over the last year has he? I can't believe people are making such a song and dance about this, it just proves how much you all love a moan.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Sep 2011 12:25

sandman
Terminal Boardom At least it is money off the wage bill and strengthens BMcD's determination to persist with 2 cloggers and lumpers in central midfield.

Cloggers and lumpers who helped get us to the play-off final. Howard hasn't exactly been integral to us over the last year has he? I can't believe people are making such a song and dance about this, it just proves how much you all love a moan.

Spot on. Particularly when the player himself has handed in a transfer request so has made it clear he wants out.

I don't doubt that having a more creative midfielder would add something to us but thats been the case since Gylffi left. Howard hasn't been the answer to that situation since then so I can't see what the ringing of hands about it is about really.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2011 13:15

howser Bad decision, we constantly hear moans on this site about our awful long ball tactics, no surprise really when we don't have anyone in centre midfield who can thread a pass, maybe if he had been on the bench or on the first team sheet it might have been a diferent story, but this is Reading so we will just loan him out to one of our rivals in the championship..........ah well at least it will save the very hard up club some salary !!

Got to pay for all these hopeful punts somehow.

Really can't see the logic in this move. One moment he's deemed good enough to be on our bench and keep other players off it and the next moment he's loaned out to a rival.

If he's not rated by the manager, why did he put him on the bench for the past two games?

We now really will be stuck with hoof.

Vision
sandman

Spot on. Particularly when the player himself has handed in a transfer request so has made it clear he wants out.

I don't doubt that having a more creative midfielder would add something to us but thats been the case since Gylffi left. Howard hasn't been the answer to that situation since then so I can't see what the ringing of hands about it is about really.

So if he really wasn't the solution, I repeat: Why put him on the bench? And the only reason he wanted a move is because the manager wouldn't play him, instead preferring to continue with the agricultural and spectacularly unsuccessful (and even more unentertaining)hoofball tactics.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Sep 2011 13:57

McDermott has gone all bonkers. Maybe because Reading got one of the Championship's biggest cash hauls this summer, yet he was given the least amount to play with. Must be kind of difficult to keep going, especially when many of the fans think this smack in the teeth is 'a brilliant idea'. Last season he seemed in control, level-headed and happy.

But this season some of his judgements have made Meredith Kurcher's decision to 'go home for an early night' look like a blinder.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2011 15:34

I don't care if the option is Howard or someone else, but we need the option and Howard was the only even vaguely right player in the squad with any experience.

We saw last season to a certain extent, and more so this season, that it's too easy to shut us down by doubling up on our wingers. Hopefully this is being improved (along with other things) by having more attack minded and pacey full backs for overlapping. But it does still leave us without any creative or goal threat through the middle, so it's still a case of pack the flanks and leave space around centre circle and you'll stop us.

With Church, Le Fondre & Manset as strikers far less able in running the channels and chasing down percentage balls into the corners, and feeding better off shorter passes along the ground, we're now crying out for someone with a bit of vision in the middle. Or at least someone like Sidwell who possesses a genuine goal threat.

Tabb's got the energy, but doesn't pick the passes and has only marginally more chance of scoring than me. Karacan's passing really isn't very creative and he's not a big goal threat either. Leigertwood's one time simple passing and forward momentum has left him, and he's not exactly a goal threat.

Right when we're struggling in central midfield we've got rid of one of four real contenders, and the only one who offers us something different to the others, which I happen to believe is exactly what we're missing. Even if he's not necessarily particularly good.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 27 Sep 2011 15:49

No problem with this what so ever, Brian wanted to play and couldn't get the opportunity here. But please, we need a centre mid option brought in as cover... I hear JonJo Shelvey is up for loan?!!!

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Sep 2011 16:02

When do you think our central midfield will get their first goal or assist of the season?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2011 17:07

Simon's Church When do you think our central midfield will get their first goal or assist of the season?

With Tabb and Legs playing, not this season is a distinct possibility. They can't have much more than 5 goals & assists between them in their combined RFC careers. Karacan isn't a lot better either.

Federici has a better scoring record than Tabb. :lol: