Federici - the best keeper in the Championship?

338 posts
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Federici - the best keeper in the Championship?

by Big Foot » 02 Oct 2011 14:44

Great save from Emnes yesterday but a decent keeper woulda caught the first toe poke shot and not have to make the worldy camera save

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Oct 2011 14:54

A decent keeper like Iker Casillas who did exactly the same thing last week against Rayo with a far tamer shot than the "toe poke" Feds saved yesterday. Unlike Feds he did save the follow up.
Last edited by sandman on 02 Oct 2011 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Oct 2011 15:34

Definitley kept us in the game yesterday, we could have been hammered!

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 02 Oct 2011 16:42

Ian Royal
FiNeRaIn The haters are awfully quiet after that performance. :lol:

We all know he's got top draw performances in him. It doesn't change a preference for McCarthy in some though.

Exactly! Some prefer Feds over McCarthy, others McCarthy over Feds.

Feds is a decent Championship keeper, but that is all he is at the moment.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 02 Oct 2011 20:41

In recent games, Federici has improved his chances of achieving his stated ambition of obtaining a transfer to a Premiership club.( Yes, I know that he retracted of sorts but.....)

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 02 Oct 2011 23:52

^^^

So what, if he continues with similar performances and then does go in January we'll have had a superb keeper for half a season with, in many people's eyes, a ready made if not better replacement on the bench and his fee will probably go some way toward next years black hole.

A win win really

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 03 Oct 2011 06:39

Thomas L'Heureux Speroni, Stockdale, Myhill, Camp, Schmeichel, James, to name just half-a-dozen better...

I don't know how you lot can try to quantify who the best 'keeper is?
Every 'keeper in the division will have different strengths and weaknesess.
Faterici's best atribute is his distribution. Many of our blistering counter attacks over the past few years have started with a great quick release from feds, either quick roll to feet, or a longer ball. But always the right ball.
Myhill, for example, has no direction when he kicks the ball, he just lumps it over the half way line. That wouldn't suit our counter-attacking style.
I'd have feds over the others any day.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 03 Oct 2011 09:46

Hes looekd better than every opposing keeper so far this season

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Oct 2011 09:58

marcusopp
Thomas L'Heureux Speroni, Stockdale, Myhill, Camp, Schmeichel, James, to name just half-a-dozen better...

I don't know how you lot can try to quantify who the best 'keeper is?Every 'keeper in the division will have different strengths and weaknesess.
Faterici's best atribute is his distribution. Many of our blistering counter attacks over the past few years have started with a great quick release from feds, either quick roll to feet, or a longer ball. But always the right ball.
Myhill, for example, has no direction when he kicks the ball, he just lumps it over the half way line. That wouldn't suit our counter-attacking style.

There is no way of proving it one way or the other, it's all opinion.

What really seperates the men from the boys is concentration levels and most importantly of all decision making. Every single pro keeper can save shots, the old 'he's a good shot stopper' is the biggest cop out going. If a pro keeper can't stop shots he won't be around too long.

This is where I wouldn't rank Federici as highly as some other keepers. Agility superb, reaction saves - very good, distribution possibly the best in the league or second behind Kasper but up there.

It's the concentration and decision making that in my opinion he doesn't do so well at. His gaffes tend to be a poor decision on whether or not to come for a ball or just done by a shot or bit of play you wouldn't expect, concentration issue.

I don't think he's terrible I think he's probably an above average Championship goalkeeper, I can't ever see a Premiership club taking him to be a number 1, the only chance he'd have of doing that is at Reading or another Championship club that gets promoted. There are a few in the league that I feel offer more as an all round keeper than Federici, what i've seen in the limited amount of MCCarthy is he looks like a keeper. Minimal fuss, make it look easy. He too won't be the finished article but I think the potential is there to be a better keeper and more importantly a more consistant keeper than Federici is, again in my opinion.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Oct 2011 10:23

Would it be fair to say that Federici is getting better?

Worth remembering that he's still only made just over 100 1st team appearances in the pro game, almost exactly the same number as 3 years younger Frankie Fielding who most would feel has plenty of potential for improvement.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 03 Oct 2011 11:04

Z175 Hes looekd better than every opposing keeper so far this season

Other than Luke(?) Steele for Barnsley who we could only beat from 12 yards and that at the 3rd attempt

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 03 Oct 2011 15:23

Alan Partridge
marcusopp

I don't know how you lot can try to quantify who the best 'keeper is?Every 'keeper in the division will have different strengths and weaknesess.

There is no way of proving it one way or the other, it's all opinion.

What really seperates the men from the boys is concentration levels and most importantly of all decision making. Every single pro keeper can save shots, the old 'he's a good shot stopper' is the biggest cop out going. If a pro keeper can't stop shots he won't be around too long.

This is where I wouldn't rank Federici as highly as some other keepers. Agility superb, reaction saves - very good, distribution possibly the best in the league or second behind Kasper but up there.

It's the concentration and decision making that in my opinion he doesn't do so well at. His gaffes tend to be a poor decision on whether or not to come for a ball or just done by a shot or bit of play you wouldn't expect, concentration issue.

I don't think he's terrible I think he's probably an above average Championship goalkeeper, I can't ever see a Premiership club taking him to be a number 1, the only chance he'd have of doing that is at Reading or another Championship club that gets promoted. There are a few in the league that I feel offer more as an all round keeper than Federici, what i've seen in the limited amount of MCCarthy is he looks like a keeper. Minimal fuss, make it look easy. He too won't be the finished article but I think the potential is there to be a better keeper and more importantly a more consistant keeper than Federici is, again in my opinion.

Good point about the concentration.
Keepers who are playing for struggling clubs will usually look better as they're in the action more than a keeper for someone with the ball all of the time.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 Oct 2011 20:32

I think we could do with a weekly 'Federici's come and get me plea' thread

''I'm contracted for another year and whilst I do enjoy playing for Reading, I also know that if I'm going to challenge the No.1 spot I need to be playing at a higher level,'' he said. ''But time is on my side. I've got many years left and I'm just enjoying playing consistently as I have in recent years.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/at ... 1lbqh.html

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 06 Oct 2011 21:24

News here in Oz (sorry if it's already been said) is that Federici is a certain starter for Australia in its friendly against Malaysia tonight in place of Schwarzer.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 06 Oct 2011 22:10

peterroyal76
Exactly! Some prefer Feds over McCarthy, others McCarthy over Feds.

Feds is a decent Championship keeper, but that is all he is at the moment.

or...

peterroyal76
I respect opinion A, I respect opinion B.

Here is the correct opinion so shove it.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Oct 2011 09:46

cant fault his performance at the weekend.
good to see weve started throwing th eodd ball out instead of kicking all the time. his shot stopping is superb.
and as soon as he startsdominating the 6 yard box someone will snap him up, so......

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Oct 2011 10:00

RobRoyal I would go for David James.

:D

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Feb 2012 09:30

Soooooooooooooooo, all those that laughed at me

He's certainly proving a lot of you wrong :D

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 15 Feb 2012 09:33

I wont be happy until I see floyders admit he is one of the top keepers in the Championship.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Feb 2012 15:06

Svlad Cjelli I think it's easier for BMc to keep it as it is - dropping Feds would be a real slap in the face for him, so keeping the younger, less-experienced McCarthy as second choice is easier in terms of man-management.

I think BMc is also considering who is most likely to be at the club in 2 or 3 years. If McCarthy filfills his huge potential, then even the Russian's Rubles won't be able to keep him out of the grasps of the top clubs. Feds will never be World Class, but will always be a solid keeper we can generally rely on beit in the Championship or the Premiership.

338 posts