Why do people go to games?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Why do people go to games?

by Royal Lady » 31 Dec 2011 17:48

I'm asking this, because I am surrounded by fuckwits at the moment. Two women behind do nothing but moan ALL THE BLOODY TIME. Every time the oppo get the ball, the main protagonist goes "here we go, here we go, they're going to score" and, of course, they don't. Kebe can do nothing right for either of them. Ledge was getting stick. But make a good pass, score a goal and they sit there impassively, don't even bloody clap. It takes all my will to stop giving them a right mouthful to be honest. There's also a dreary voiced Welsh bloke who moans constantly - but, again, you never hear him sing, clap or get excited if we score or come close to scoring. WHY DO THEY BOTHER COMING TO GAMES?

Again today, the old bloke in front who remains completely stock still all game, every game, together with his equally boring daughter who also never claps, shouts, celebrates a goal - decided to turn around and tell Schards to stop kicking his seat? WTF? If he did touch his seat, it was once and by accident - that was the first time I'd seen the bloke even move during a game tbf. I don't expect that everyone should be jumping up and down and singing/clapping - but for God's sake, a bit of bloody enthusiasm wouldn't go amiss. I just don't understand how people can be so impassive - and the constant moaning from the people behind is ruining my enjoyment of games these days. :cry:

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why do people go to games?

by Cripple Creek » 31 Dec 2011 17:57

Reading in the mid-seventies - when I first started going to matches - was the worst time for constant moaning that I can remember. Oddly, Neil Webb and Lawrie Sanches were, as I recall, the main victims. My Dad used to take us to the Stands every Saturday and the same people day in/day out just groaned relentlessly about how rubbish we were. The fact that they were right is irrelevant...you do wonder what possible pleasure they got from the matches given that, like a lot of us, they had been waiting all week for Saturday.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 31 Dec 2011 18:02

Bring back Russellers. She used to keep the rif raf in order.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 Dec 2011 18:04

Thankfully i sit around decent people with a sense of humour. The row in front of me changes every week so generally no issues with anyone. Away games are a different matter sometimes.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2011 18:07

Maybe you should move somewhere else. I agree though, can't stand negativity like that. I tend to think these people feel better about themselves in some way for slagging someone else off on a Saturday afternoon, sad really.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 Dec 2011 18:10

Norfolk Royal Maybe you should move somewhere else. I agree though, can't stand negativity like that. I tend to think these people feel better about themselves in some way for slagging someone else off on a Saturday afternoon, sad really.

Agreed. Taking your job lot into football and simmering is never good. It's supposed to be escapism from the humdrum of life.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Dec 2011 18:12

I don't want to move - chances would be I'd just get more moaners around me anyway. :roll:

My new year resolution is to tell them to shut the feck up when they start moaning that we haven't scored 118 goals in 20 minutes. :evil:

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 31 Dec 2011 18:17

its why ive been to 3 games this season RL.

Im not prepared to pay £23 week in week out to sit with a load of brainwashed post 2005/2006 pricks who don't have a fucking clue what being a Reading supporter means, clap every move Shaun Cummings makes good or bad. The tourettes bloke who dressed up in a female Santa outfit in Y20 on Boxing day just about sums up everything i hate about Reading fc today.

that aside, McDermo is doing a ruddy fine job.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 31 Dec 2011 18:21

'greed. I used to sit near a bloke that used to drive me mental. I say that, as an easy going sort...!

He disliked Keith Jones, Tony Rougier, Jim McIntyre and a few others who I've forgotten. I can accept that and almost accept his continual abuse of them during a game (almost)... However, what this massive great twat thought he was achieving by standing up and booing them when they came on as subs leaves me scratching my head. Erm, no, really. Someone please explain to me how it's going to motivate a sub coming on when some arsehole in your home crowd is booing you even before you've got on the pitch.

P.S. Spare me the obvious jokes. Keith Jones did a job for us. Jimmy Mac was underrated and played out of position.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 31 Dec 2011 18:22

Royal Lady I don't want to move - chances would be I'd just get more moaners around me anyway. :roll:

My new year resolution is to tell them to shut the feck up when they start moaning that we haven't scored 118 goals in 20 minutes. :evil:

Yep, I'd say have a word RL. Or go for the slightly more cowardly way (my personal choice) of making your own choice mutterings when their tedious predictions fail.

I had a satisfying moment a few years back in our first season back in division one, when one old git in particular did nothing but moan throughout - get this - a 5-1 win over Preston ("God, can you imagine this useless lot in the Premiership" etc). I had a dig at him, quitely but so he would hear, when we scored a penalty shortly after the berk had loudly declared he wanted to put money on Shorey missing. That shut him up a bit. Of course he left before the 5th goal, still slagging the team off.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 31 Dec 2011 18:27

Para Handy P.S. Spare me the obvious jokes. Keith Jones did a job for us. Jimmy Mac was underrated and played out of position.

^^ good call , i was one of the few Jones fans, put in an honest shift everygame playing a position that gets less recognition than a goal keeper. McIntyre was a fantastic player, so much so i think General B still to this day desperately wants to bum him.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 31 Dec 2011 18:33

Focher
Para Handy P.S. Spare me the obvious jokes. Keith Jones did a job for us. Jimmy Mac was underrated and played out of position.

^^ good call , i was one of the few Jones fans, put in an honest shift everygame playing a position that gets less recognition than a goal keeper. McIntyre was a fantastic player, so much so i think General B still to this day desperately wants to bum him.

TBF General B wants to bum most people.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Dec 2011 18:36

Sit next to Ian Royal

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Dec 2011 18:39

Snowball Sit next to Ian Royal

You obviously misunderstood the question. This is why do people go to games?
Last edited by sandman on 31 Dec 2011 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Dec 2011 18:39

Royal Lady I don't want to move - chances would be I'd just get more moaners around me anyway. :roll:

Go West, RL........................you know you want to.

Knit 6 jumpers a season and if you want to sleep 'til half time you know someone will give you a gentle nudge ( Mr A is especially good at this) when the lady with the ice creams comes round in the interval..............................did we win to today :roll:

:P

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 31 Dec 2011 18:42

Woodcote Royal

Go West, RL........................you know you want to.

Knit 6 jumpers a season and if you want to sleep 'til half time you know someone will give you a gentle nudge ( Mr A is especially good at this) when the lady with the ice creams comes round in the interval..............................did we win to today :roll:

S'alright in the West.

Just thought I'd add that.

:P

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 31 Dec 2011 18:52

Sit by a few numptys. I do wonder sometimes whether they actually watch the game and know the laws of football ......

What does get me is the people who think Reading should be 6-0 up by half time. That really gets my oxf*rd goat! I have great seats and love the view I have every other week just wish the people would piss off. Also there is one woman behind me who screams and laughs all game and she expects someone to shoot and score when they are surrounded by 8 players in the box. I honestly think her husband gets embarrassed as both me and my uncles have got annoyed with her and told her what we think of her nonsense.

Also sit next to this guy who gets on my tits just because he doesn't watch the game and doesn't understand the basic laws of football, that and his kid is the most miserable oxf*rd ever.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 Dec 2011 19:05

^^^^^

That reads like a STAR coach bus trip.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 31 Dec 2011 19:13

Focher McIntyre was a fantastic player, so much so i think General B still to this day desperately wants to bum him.

Ooof. Not sure he'd fancy the return fixture.

But they do say that once you've gone Mac you never go back.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 31 Dec 2011 19:14

I sit with a great bunch of people.

Alas, they all think I'm a c unt.
Last edited by 'lista on 31 Dec 2011 19:15, edited 1 time in total.