CONFIRMED - Billy Sharp

1064 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: RUMOUR - Billy Sharp

by TBM » 13 Sep 2013 11:30

Scutterbucketz If true, it is a worrying situation. If we signed a player like Sharp we'd have to pay those kind of wages so you why are they are stumbling block in a loan deal?

It's like renting a house. It's dead money

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 13 Sep 2013 11:31

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8914671/Parachute-Payments-Killing-Competition...

This adds further intrigue - with a season in the PL, very little spent in transfer fees, record season tickets, swollen parachute payments, yet we are baulking at a smal load fee???

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Sep 2013 11:31

agreed- plus, hes not really worth 20kpw in the championship
imo

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Sep 2013 11:38

M U R T Y http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8914671/Parachute-Payments-Killing-Competition...

This adds further intrigue - with a season in the PL, very little spent in transfer fees, record season tickets, swollen parachute payments, yet we are baulking at a smal load fee???

tbf we spent a fair ammount for us just in fees, loads more in wages. last time we were up there our wage bill was ~32 million, id imagine with pog and guthrie last year it was closer to 40+.

even if we reduce our wage bill by half(and no player is going to accept a 50% relegation reduction clause) that will still make it 20 million quid, which is about 5 million more than it was before, meaning wed be losing 10 million+ quid a year, just on wages.
add to the the substantial investment in the academy bid, and training ground etc. pay off for McDermot, and the big reduction in the size,of the gate, and price of the tickets.

the article youve posted actually says quite clearly what the parachute payments are designed to do, and its not to fund 4 years of daft spending to make a quick return. its simply to stop relegation killing the club financially.

The aim of parachute payments is clear. The substantial gap in the average quality of teams between the Championship and Premier League dictates that whilst a squad may have contained sufficient ability to gain promotion, such a level of proficiency is unlikely to be enough to survive. Without this economic buffer, promoted clubs would lose their ability to negotiate the transfer market. Potential signings could not be offered extended contracts because if relegation did occur after just one season, the reduced provisions in the Championship would almost inevitably end in financial disarray.

lol at the fantasy financials that you lot come up with sometimes.
just lol.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 13 Sep 2013 12:13

Just shows how frustrating football can be for both the fans and their clubs. We've got a sulky Pac-man munching up the wages who doesn't seem that keen on playing, and another who doesn't look like he's going to make the grade playing up front.

Standing on the other side of the river bank is a genuine bloke like Sharp who's looking to get some games somewhere, surely he'd be here like a shot if he had the green light and I'd defo take him without hesitation. In the meantime we've got to sit watching and see if the club can afford him/offload the other two goons before eventually someone decent can be brought in :| .

Cypry

by Cypry » 13 Sep 2013 12:18

andrew1957
M U R T Y The Post now running the story too.

Apparently, paying a large portion of his 18k wages could be an issue? I think say 10k for 12 weeks is worth the risk on this one - get him in!

I have to say that the financial position of the club looks increasingly odd. We had 30 first team players at the end of last season. We sold/released 8 and loaned out 2 more on season loans. This has saved millions in wages.

Go on then, I'll bite. Give us a breakdown of how we've saved "millions" in wages (and don't forget to take into account the additional outgoing wages for Drenthe, Williams and Bridge....)

We received 5M for Kebe and Mariappa and have only brought in 3 new players and yet we are apparently concerned about affording 18K a week for 13 weeks (emergency loan term). That is just £234,000 for a player that could really make a difference. Then we can think again in January.

Surely we should be snapping Southampton's hand off at that price before someone else does.

No, we could perhaps in the long term receive up to £5M depending on appearances, but that's likely to be the maximum and at the moment the figure is likely to be SUBSTANTIALLY less than £5M.

If you're going to hammer the club on finances at least use realistic figures

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2013 12:23

Cypry
andrew1957
M U R T Y The Post now running the story too.

Apparently, paying a large portion of his 18k wages could be an issue? I think say 10k for 12 weeks is worth the risk on this one - get him in!

I have to say that the financial position of the club looks increasingly odd. We had 30 first team players at the end of last season. We sold/released 8 and loaned out 2 more on season loans. This has saved millions in wages.

Go on then, I'll bite. Give us a breakdown of how we've saved "millions" in wages (and don't forget to take into account the additional outgoing wages for Drenthe, Williams and Bridge....)

We received 5M for Kebe and Mariappa and have only brought in 3 new players and yet we are apparently concerned about affording 18K a week for 13 weeks (emergency loan term). That is just £234,000 for a player that could really make a difference. Then we can think again in January.

Surely we should be snapping Southampton's hand off at that price before someone else does.

No, we could perhaps in the long term receive up to £5M depending on appearances, but that's likely to be the maximum and at the moment the figure is likely to be SUBSTANTIALLY less than £5M.

If you're going to hammer the club on finances at least use realistic figures

It almost certainly, along with relegation pay cuts, has saved millions. But then that's good, because our income has gone down by millions. I agree andrew is oeveregging the amount it'll have gone down.

It's not like Church, Harte or Tabb would have been anywhere near the top earners. I can't even think of who the others of the 8 were except Hunt. And you can bet that HRK and Pearce's deals probably involved a lot less of a decrease from PL wages than we'd have liked.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2013 12:58

Regarding wages obviously none of us know the exact figures but here is a stab at it.

Leaving Church 7.5K per week
Hunt 10K per week
Shorey 10K per week
Harte 10K per week
Tabb 7.5K per week
Mills 5K per week
Kebe 10K per week
Mariappa 10K per week
Andersen 5K per week
Carrico 10K per week

Total 85K per week

In Bridge 10K per week
Drenthe 12K per week
Williams 10K per week

Total 32K per week overall saving £2.756M

These figures are conservative. In this I have assumed the three joiners are on PL equivalent wages (may be lower). We can assume that although HRK and Pearce got better contracts that they will be receiving no more than last season. Most other players will have had a wage cut and this will have saved much more.

We received 63M last season reputedly plus we will get a 20M parachute payment this season. We spent next to nothing on players when we got promoted and spent next to nothing again this summer and yet we cannot afford 234K on a loan deal.

Whatever we got for Kebe and Mariappa, we can be 100% sure we made a profit on them.

Give me a break - we are all in favour of financial stability, but these numbers just don't add up to me.

And Melonhead - I have worked out that you must be NH as the club can never do anything wrong in your book.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2013 13:03

TBM
Scutterbucketz If true, it is a worrying situation. If we signed a player like Sharp we'd have to pay those kind of wages so you why are they are stumbling block in a loan deal?

Not if he scores 8 between now and Christmas and we are top of the league by then. Think of how much money promotion brings.
Last edited by andrew1957 on 13 Sep 2013 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Sep 2013 13:04

would that NH be Nigel Howe or Nick(y) Hammond?? ...big difference ;-)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2013 13:06

DOYLERSAROYALER would that NH be Nigel Howe or Nick(y) Hammond?? ...big difference ;-)

Perhaps he is both.

JIM

by JIM » 13 Sep 2013 13:16

TBM said its like renting a house, dead money. no it is not ,it is the difference between a full MAD STAD and an empty one. Pay the wages and say goodbye to the championship again.Then splash out to stay there in the premier div.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 13 Sep 2013 13:22

TBM

Well, if you can't afford to buy the house outright, what are your options?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2013 14:33

Scutterbucketz
TBM

Spot on. The only reasons for buying a house rather than renting is either if the mortgage payments are cheaper than renting or because of the chance of capital appreciation.

Same with a player. If we had bought Sharp in the summer we would have had to match his wages or give him a much longer contract and so wages are similar in cost. The only thing we lose by not buying is the chance of making a profit in the future - plus if he does well Southampton will want more money for him if they choose to sell in January (unless we agree a loan with a view to buy deal).

Cypry

by Cypry » 13 Sep 2013 14:37

andrew1957 Regarding wages obviously none of us know the exact figures but here is a stab at it.

Hunt 10K per week
Shorey 10K per week
Harte 10K per week
Tabb 7.5K per week
Mills 5K per week
Kebe 10K per week
Mariappa 10K per week
Andersen 5K per week
Carrico 10K per week

Total 85K per week

In Bridge 10K per week
Drenthe 12K per week
Williams 10K per week

These figures are conservative. In this I have assumed the three joiners are on PL equivalent wages (may be lower). We can assume that although HRK and Pearce got better contracts that they will be receiving no more than last season. Most other players will have had a wage cut and this will have saved much more.

We received 63M last season reputedly plus we will get a 20M parachute payment this season. We spent next to nothing on players when we got promoted and spent next to nothing again this summer and yet we cannot afford 234K on a loan deal.

Whatever we got for Kebe and Mariappa, we can be 100% sure we made a profit on them.

Give me a break - we are all in favour of financial stability, but these numbers just don't add up to me.

And Melonhead - I have worked out that you must be NH as the club can never do anything wrong in your book.

£40M actually, but what's £23M between friends.....? http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... 13-210501/

If you're going to try to beat the club up and quote figures to back up your point, at least try to make sure they're accurate....

If our wage bill was similar to last time in the Prem (£28M - I suspect there'll have been some inflationary pressure on that so probably in excess of £30M this time...) then you can write it down to £12M maximum last year for signings, getting CAT1 status etc etc - yes, we get some income from tickets, shirt sales etc but it really is insignificant in the grand scheme of things....we did spend at least £5M on transfer fees so now you're down to a maximum of £7M left (oh yeah, and we spent over £1M on the new 3G pitch behind the Dome)....

This year we get £23M in parachute payments, so even if we reduce our wage bill by a third through offloading players and relegation clauses, we'll still only have some £3M left - not much is it?

Still, if you want to keep on making up conspiracy theories based on made up numbers, you carry on.....

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 13 Sep 2013 15:16

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 Sep 2013 15:18

Scutterbucketz
TBM

Move in with your mum?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2013 15:25

Cypry
andrew1957 Regarding wages obviously none of us know the exact figures but here is a stab at it.

Hunt 10K per week
Shorey 10K per week
Harte 10K per week
Tabb 7.5K per week
Mills 5K per week
Kebe 10K per week
Mariappa 10K per week
Andersen 5K per week
Carrico 10K per week

Total 85K per week

In Bridge 10K per week
Drenthe 12K per week
Williams 10K per week

£40M actually, but what's £23M between friends.....? http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... 13-210501/

If you're going to try to beat the club up and quote figures to back up your point, at least try to make sure they're accurate....

If our wage bill was similar to last time in the Prem (£28M - I suspect there'll have been some inflationary pressure on that so probably in excess of £30M this time...) then you can write it down to £12M maximum last year for signings, getting CAT1 status etc etc - yes, we get some income from tickets, shirt sales etc but it really is insignificant in the grand scheme of things....we did spend at least £5M on transfer fees so now you're down to a maximum of £7M left (oh yeah, and we spent over £1M on the new 3G pitch behind the Dome)....

This year we get £23M in parachute payments, so even if we reduce our wage bill by a third through offloading players and relegation clauses, we'll still only have some £3M left - not much is it?

Still, if you want to keep on making up conspiracy theories based on made up numbers, you carry on.....

The 63M is the estimated total turnover from all activities including gate receipts, hospitality and merchandising. 40M is just the TV money. So sorry I did not make that clear.

And as for the total spending on buying players the figures are
Summer 2012 £3,260,000
Winter 2012/13 £3,310,000
Summer 2013 Profit £4,250,000

Net spend over three windows £2,320,000. These are based on the most common estimates in the press etc. And don't give me we don't get it all up front nonsense because that applies to purchases too and so is neutral.

Again I am not saying we should be spending 20M but £234K on a loan player in a position we are desperately short in seems a very low risk gamble to me - especially as next summer a lot of quite high earners will leave the wage bill (Gorkks, Leigertwood and Roberts immediately come to mind).

And as for this season thanks for pointing out we get 23M and not 20M parachute payment but we will also turn over around 17-20M on top (again gate receipts, hospitality, merchandising etc) so your figures are right up the spout.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 13 Sep 2013 15:33

What ever figure you have you can easily triple that if you include Agent fees and signing on fees. Every single payment that goes into bringing a player to the football club has to come from somewhere. You sooner people understand, the less of this crap we will hear from deluded fans

SouthSmallRoyal

by SouthSmallRoyal » 13 Sep 2013 15:41

Hunt 10K per week
Shorey 10K per week
Harte 10K per week
Tabb 7.5K per week
Mills 5K per week
Kebe 10K per week
Mariappa 10K per week
Andersen 5K per week
Carrico 10K per week

Total 85K per week

In Bridge 10K per week
Drenthe 12K per week
Williams 10K per week

Seriously? 12k a week for Drenthe? 10K for Bridge?! We lured him away from QPR, remember

1064 posts