Seven Crucial Questions

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Seven Crucial Questions

by Svlad Cjelli » 21 Jan 2012 00:29

Back in May the below seven questions that should be asked by Sir John Madejski about any potential new buyer were posted onto thetilehurstend.co.uk

Today is probably a good time to publish them again and ask if he's considered all these things.

An Open Letter to Sir John Madejski .....
So I’d ask you to bear in mind the below points in any negotiations and due diligence of any potential sale of the club :

1. Who wants to buy and why?
Clearly, supporters want someone who is here for the football club and will do the same as you in safeguarding it for the future – someone who buys it as a potential money-making venture will inevitably fail, and may well bring the club to its knees in the process.

2. What are their plans for the club?
Is the intention to carry on building the club, or to pump endless money in to try to compete with the biggest clubs? Although some Royals fans would love the latter approach, I don’t think it’s appropriate for Reading FC or would actually work. Yes, it might bring some short-term success, but it would inevitably change the whole ethos of the club, and it’s fundamentally unsustainable – boom is inevitably followed by bust.

3. Where’s the money coming from?
Does the money actually exist, or is it all empty promises that will bite us later on. And what are the implications of where it has come from? We know you are a man of great integrity, and we love the way our football club has the same attributes. So it would leave a nasty taste in the mouths of many supporters if the club we purchased by someone who has acquired their money in questionable or possibly illegal ways – and in my book not knowing where it has come from means it has almost certainly been obtained in a questionable way.

4. Will it leave us saddled with debt?
Whilst perfectly legal, leveraged buy-outs such as those seen at Manchester United and Liverpool leave clubs saddled with debt, and the only way that can be recovered is by slowly turning the financial screw on the supporters. Supporters universally hate leveraged buy-outs, so please don’t allow any purchase to be funded in such a way.

5. Who is the owner?
Too many football clubs are owned by unknown parties, through tortuous ownership models and umbrella companies in overseas tax-havens. Supporters have got a moral right to know who owns their football club, and why would any club owner want to hide their ownership through such complicated ownership structures? Again, something that would leave us all very worried and suspicious, and which would inevitably change the club for the worse.

6. What will be their relationship with the Supporters?
If I were going to criticise you, this is the one area I’d choose, because you’ve often had an arm’s length relationship with the club’s supporters, appropriate to your ownership of 97% of the club. But times are changing, and supporters across the globe are participating more and more into the clubs that they put so much financial and emotional investment into. And there are so many talented and committed people out there who care deeply about the future of their club that the club can only benefit from their involvement – not every supporter thinks only of short-term results. Countless legal structures exist to allow supporters to participate in their clubs, so how much involvement would any new owner be prepared to allow them?

7. What guarantees are being made?
A tricky last question, this. How can you be sure that any of the answers to the above questions will actually be true. Partly a judgement call, but partly also something that can be judged from due diligence and proper investigation of the bona fides of any potential buyer. But there ought to be conditions in any sale ensure that any promises made are translated into actual deeds.

Sir John has always said he'd only sell to the *right* buyer. Now's the time for him to prove that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Seven Crucial Questions

by Snowball » 21 Jan 2012 08:46

Thanks for posting this.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 21 Jan 2012 12:51

850+ views and not one serious reply.

Seems these questions may not be as crucial as the OP thought.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 21 Jan 2012 12:55

Well we can hardly answer them, for all we know we're just getting the ground sponsored, or maybe Waitrose will supply a new range of sandwiches in the concourse.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 13:04

TheMaraudingDog 850+ views and not one serious reply.

what were you expecting? in all honesty it's a silly list of questions unless you have the chairman sat in front of you. you don't, you have joe public, many of which are kids with football manager imaginations.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 21 Jan 2012 14:02

moo Well we can hardly answer them, for all we know we're just getting the ground sponsored, or maybe Waitrose will supply a new range of sandwiches in the concourse.

Black bread and misery sandwiches.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 21 Jan 2012 14:50

TheMaraudingDog 850+ views and not one serious reply.

Great questions, thanks for the OP, food for though...

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 21 Jan 2012 15:21

I'm sure Mr Madejski was delighted to receive this. Did you also lend him your wisdom on buying and selling used cars?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Where's the money coming from?

by Svlad Cjelli » 22 Jan 2012 20:07

Am I the only one a tad concerned of the need for all this secrecy until the deal is signed, sealed and irrevocable? If everything is quite so wonderful and so good for the club and its supporters, why is the new owner so reluctant to let his/her/their identity be made public? I don't quite understand the need for such reticence.

And just how is this "limited funding" happening? Given to the club, or on the balance sheet as loans? If the former, then what happens if the deal doesn't happen or if the new owners fail the Football League's "Directors and Owners Test" (previously the "Fit and Proper Persons Test"). And if it's going to take the form of loans, then what happened to the "continuing ethos" and the "prudence" argument?

If it is all as promised then that's great, and I'll be as happy as everyone else seems to be already - but at the moment all that we actually do have is promises and assurances. No concrete facts nor anything of any substance.

More Questions than Answers...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Where's the money coming from?

by Arch » 22 Jan 2012 20:23

It's called a period of due diligence. I expect our club to perform their side of that with appropriate vigour. It's always been "the Reading way" to keep the cards close to chest until everything is signed, sealed and delivered. I'd have thought you of all people would appreciate that, Dirk.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 22 Jan 2012 20:28

New thread alert, get in here BBTL and merge it all.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 22 Jan 2012 20:30

impossible to answer isn't it? so why even ask? you'll know in march who the backers are.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 22 Jan 2012 20:31

I'm relaxed because SJM said he would only sell to the right people. This wasn't an overnight thing, it's taken him 7+ years to find the right buyer/investor!!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Jan 2012 20:37

Arch It's called a period of due diligence. .

^this.

You don't publically name them in case it turns out they're crooks, we'd be embarassed, or if their money is dodgy so we're both embarassed. Us for pointing it out, and them for being labeled as crooks.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Jan 2012 20:38

rfc2001 I'm relaxed because SJM said he would only sell to the right people. This wasn't an overnight thing, it's taken him 7+ years to find the right buyer/investor!!

Or maybe he is now just really desperate for the cash?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2012 20:38

No-one liked your first thread Dirk, this one ain't much better so don't bother and post on the main one!!!!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Jan 2012 20:42

We have a merger. :lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2012 20:45

royalexile We have a merger. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bless.

Muguire

by Muguire » 22 Jan 2012 21:03

Svlad Cjelli Am I the only one a tad concerned of the need for all this secrecy until the deal is signed, sealed and irrevocable? If everything is quite so wonderful and so good for the club and its supporters, why is the new owner so reluctant to let his/her/their identity be made public? I don't quite understand the need for such reticence.

And just how is this "limited funding" happening? Given to the club, or on the balance sheet as loans? If the former, then what happens if the deal doesn't happen or if the new owners fail the Football League's "Directors and Owners Test" (previously the "Fit and Proper Persons Test"). And if it's going to take the form of loans, then what happened to the "continuing ethos" and the "prudence" argument?

If it is all as promised then that's great, and I'll be as happy as everyone else seems to be already - but at the moment all that we actually do have is promises and assurances. No concrete facts nor anything of any substance.

More Questions than Answers...

why are you always so desperate for attention? you always come across as a smug little know it all. the same thread twice in 24 hours. get a life!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 22 Jan 2012 21:09

Whatever. Someone needs to be asking a few awkward questions to disrupt the general "everyong is wonderful, who will we buy" love in?

PS - Considering the previous post came from someone whose big and original idea is trying to pass themselves off as an established and actually witty poster, I think I need a new irony meter. Mine appears to be broken!