Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

250 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2012 19:39

I'm surprised with some of the negativity seeing as we managed about 17 shots and most professional reports I've heard / seen say we missed some chances we really should have put away.

Obviously missing easier chances is not great, but still. Especially with two key players out injured, yet another new striker partnership and a right back at left back.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 28 Jan 2012 19:41

I'd like to see ALF and Roberts up front, think the two could work well with some neat passing and through balls.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Jan 2012 19:52

Ian Royal I'm surprised with some of the negativity seeing as we managed about 17 shots and most professional reports I've heard / seen say we missed some chances we really should have put away.

Obviously missing easier chances is not great, but still. Especially with two key players out injured, yet another new striker partnership and a right back at left back.

I think I will go with people that were actually there, seems all season we have been generally poor reading the back from the game threads, it is not always the same players picked out, but few have been outstanding all season in these threads. For someone that does not attend, and reading what those do say i would say that many players have decent games, but are not consistent, too many drift out of games, doesn't sound like they put in a full shift week in and week out.

Big difference to 2005/06.

Ian what do you consider a professional report? as most are all from the same person, or does Lawro count, who suggested we would lose every game in the Prem judging by his weekly predictions was back when. Or the Telegraph, who did not even report our takeover the day after it happened, or the Daily Mail who often dont bother reporting our games, unless we play WHU.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Jan 2012 19:56

We did have a few chances, but we didn't capitalise on the fact we were playing 10 men either.

We still played too much ball in the air, rather than on the ground and some of our passing was dire - with some players not reading the ball well at all.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 28 Jan 2012 19:56

paultheroyal It's official, we are the worlds worst team at throw ins, penalty taking and now playing against 10 men!

Ah, I was wondering which dickhead it was who texted this to BBC Berks. Well done.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 28 Jan 2012 20:20

RobRoyal
paultheroyal It's official, we are the worlds worst team at throw ins, penalty taking and now playing against 10 men!

Ah, I was wondering which dickhead it was who texted this to BBC Berks. Well done.

i was thinking the same in the car when i drove home, and then his post. lol.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 28 Jan 2012 20:47

Ian Royal I'm surprised with some of the negativity seeing as we managed about 17 shots and most professional reports I've heard / seen say we missed some chances we really should have put away.

How can you be "surprised" when you were not even there? Go to a game and then share your thoughts. And for the record, we were poor. Roberts showed touches of class. We can't take penalties for sh*t. We got the three points. Somehow we are 4th. We will be in the play offs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2012 20:48

Harpers So Solid Crew

I think I will go with people that were actually there, seems all season we have been generally poor reading the back from the game threads, it is not always the same players picked out, but few have been outstanding all season in these threads. For someone that does not attend, and reading what those do say i would say that many players have decent games, but are not consistent, too many drift out of games, doesn't sound like they put in a full shift week in and week out.

Ian what do you consider a professional report? as most are all from the same person, or does Lawro count, who suggested we would lose every game in the Prem judging by his weekly predictions was back when. Or the Telegraph, who did not even report our takeover the day after it happened, or the Daily Mail who often dont bother reporting our games, unless we play WHU.

Dellor, Gooding, Williams, Nicholas, Papers. All taken with a pinch of salt of course.

Didn't say reports on here weren't accurate, just I'm surprised considering. And why would you bring 05/06 into? That season was 1 in a million.

robinsfriday How can you be "surprised" when you were not even there? Go to a game and then share your thoughts. And for the record, we were poor. Roberts showed touches of class. We can't take penalties for sh*t. We got the three points. Somehow we are 4th. We will be in the play offs.
Take a chill pill pal.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2012 20:51

Royal Lady We did have a few chances, but we didn't capitalise on the fact we were playing 10 men either.

We still played too much ball in the air, rather than on the ground and some of our passing was dire - with some players not reading the ball well at all.

Thanks for a decent response RL. It certainly did sound like Bristol losing a man made no positive difference to us. Nice to see you can pick up things from listening in. :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Jan 2012 20:51

RobRoyal

:?:
I am right though!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Jan 2012 20:54

Friday's Legacy
RobRoyal

i was thinking the same in the car when i drove home, and then his post. lol.

Oh and the fact numerous posters including some on this page agree lol

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Jan 2012 20:54

Royal Lady It's certainly worrying when NO-ONE appears able to score a bloody penalty these days. I knew Roberts wouldn't score his, because he did that silly little run and stop thing - he's beefy and strong - just bloody whack it man! Glad for him that he scored on the follow up though.

McAnuff's pen looked a bit soft too. (Not to mention that no way should it have been a pen in the first place! Tomasz tripped over his own feet! But sometimes you need the luck and we got it today).

Thought Antonio had some nice play - tired a bit second half.

I think Roberts and Tomasz are a great addition to the team - but to be honest, we need to be all round better than this if we want to get promotion either this year or next year, as mooted by SJM. I'd have played ALF up front with Roberts for a start - and I hope McD considers this pairing next week.

All in all, it was pretty dire to be honest - our fans were very quiet from the off, not sure why.

I hope that now you have had a chance to see the second penalty on tv you will retract the 'tripped over his own feet'. He was flattened from behind - simple as that.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Jan 2012 20:56

Royal Lady
MmmMonsterMunch
Royal Lady :oops: No not seen TV replay - was going by what I saw with my own eyes.

I thought exactly the same as you but it's actually a clearer pen than the 1st one. We clearly both have crap eyesight!

I even had my glasses on :oops:

Mind you, your eyesight is much clearer than the poster who saw Church being fouled for the second penalty!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Jan 2012 20:57

I love the 'somehow we are in 4th'.

8 wins in 11 league games is pushing on for a 106 point season (if it was consistent). That is the somehow.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 28 Jan 2012 21:03

Ian Royal
Harpers So Solid Crew

Dellor, Gooding, Williams, Nicholas, Papers. All taken with a pinch of salt of course.

Didn't say reports on here weren't accurate, just I'm surprised considering. And why would you bring 05/06 into? That season was 1 in a million.

robinsfriday How can you be "surprised" when you were not even there? Go to a game and then share your thoughts. And for the record, we were poor. Roberts showed touches of class. We can't take penalties for sh*t. We got the three points. Somehow we are 4th. We will be in the play offs.
Take a chill pill pal.

I am extremely chilled 'pal'. But your post is pointless. You question those who were there, yet your judgement of the game is based on statistics shown on a website. You can have 55% of possession but it doesn't mean you deserve to win a game of football. It was poor, but by no means as poor as it was against Watford but nowhere near as good as we have shown against other teams this season. It was a 6/10 performance. I'm pleased because a) we won and got 3 points b) Roberts scored on his debut and shows good promise c) we are now 4th in the league and finally d) Anton is flying over for the home game against Coventry.

Winds me up when those who were not at the game (and rarely are) think they can defend a poor performance.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Jan 2012 21:07

Make your mind up. Was it a poor performance or an all round 6?

By any normal use of the 0-10 marking scheme 6 is a high average. Pedantic, maybe, but the fact is that too many people on here can't see a reasonable performance just because they always want to see a top one. Today was an ok performance, not poor; we deserved to win but should/could have done better.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2012 21:08

robinsfriday I am extremely chilled 'pal'. But your post is pointless. You question those who were there, yet your judgement of the game is based on statistics shown on a website. You can have 55% of possession but it doesn't mean you deserve to win a game of football. It was poor, but by no means as poor as it was against Watford but nowhere near as good as we have shown against other teams this season. It was a 6/10 performance. I'm pleased because a) we won and got 3 points b) Roberts scored on his debut and shows good promise c) we are now 4th in the league and finally d) Anton is flying over for the home game against Coventry.

Winds me up when those who were not at the game (and rarely are) think they can defend a poor performance.

Get over yourself. It was an expression of surprise, not a defence of any performance. Not an disagreement with what's been posted. Although I know which posters to generally trust the opinions of from their views on the games I have seen.

Stop reading too much into it and getting your knickers in a twist.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Jan 2012 21:12

I can't remember many chance we really should have put away bar the goal and the penalties. Roberts had a few on the turn but he never really had the ball under control, there was one through ball from Hunt that I think Church or Le Fondre would have scored from, and there were a few hit and hope ones, but no real moments when you thought "that should have been a goal". Except for one where Hunt slid in when the ball was played across goal, but iirc he missed the ball entirely so there was no shot.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 28 Jan 2012 21:13

Ian Royal
robinsfriday I am extremely chilled 'pal'. But your post is pointless. You question those who were there, yet your judgement of the game is based on statistics shown on a website. You can have 55% of possession but it doesn't mean you deserve to win a game of football. It was poor, but by no means as poor as it was against Watford but nowhere near as good as we have shown against other teams this season. It was a 6/10 performance. I'm pleased because a) we won and got 3 points b) Roberts scored on his debut and shows good promise c) we are now 4th in the league and finally d) Anton is flying over for the home game against Coventry.

Get over yourself. It was an expression of surprise, not a defence of any performance. Not an disagreement with what's been posted. Although I know which posters to generally trust the opinions of from their views on the games I have seen.

Stop reading too much into it and getting your knickers in a twist.

Not wearing knickers mate. To me a 6/10 is a below average performance. We could debate all night what constitutes an average performance in regards to a marking system out of ten points but quite frankly I have better things to do. Personally, 6/10 is a poor mark. Sorry if you don't agree.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 28 Jan 2012 21:15

Snowball Griffin had a very good game, apart from the mix up with Gorks that almost gave away a goal.

Give me strength.

250 posts