Your Favourite/Least Favourite RFC Penalty Incident

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Your Favourite/Least Favourite RFC Penalty Incident

by Tony Le Mesmer » 16 May 2012 09:35

Fav:

Gilkes in the Simod Cup
Forsters Rebound v Wigan (cant believe thats not got a mention)

Lovell Obv the least Favourite.

Overall in the last 10 years our penalty record is terrible. We must have missed 5 penalties to every 1 weve saved.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 16 May 2012 09:42

The Goat was fed Jimmy Quinn only missed one penalty for us I think, his penalties stayed hit. Ironically, the one he missed was the most "stayed hit" out of all of them.

His record wasnt actually that good, he missed 3 at least. Brum at Home in the Cup v an outfield player, also hit the bar at Bradford and the famous York one which has yet to land.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 16 May 2012 13:49

paultheroyal
Ups and Downs Murty vs QPR.
Siggys against Liverpool.

Lovell asgainst Bolton.

Pretty much nails it.

Yep, that's pretty much the best and worst. Full stop.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 16 May 2012 14:05

Portsmouth in the year we got relegated. Think it was new years day. Sonko got sent out within 2 minutes, and Portsmouth smash the pen against the post.False hope, we lost the game

didn't Sonko give away 4 pens away in 4 games that year? Blackburn, Tottenham Pompey and another?

Best for Murts QPR or Doyle Botlon away

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2012 18:23

Least:

Archie's (in effect) double miss! Good old Geordie had set him up for a second chance with his quick thinking and reactions.

Good call for Gilkes in the Simod Cup final - perhaps better still the one he took in the shoot out to send us there.

I also really enjoyed Adie Viveash's against that little team from the East End on 9/11

Thinking about it, I really have been fortunate to have been in attendance at so many great moments in the club's history.

Saw the wonder goal that the real god scored v Tranmere (yes, I really did!) and the time he kissed the copper behind the goal (and they were not the same game). The record at Newport (b*stard TV coverage on strike) & the 13th consecutive win at Lincoln. The favourite penalties referred to above, Curo's goal at Brentford, Caskey's free kick straight off the bench, Rougier during Noah's flood!, Forster v Wigan, Murty getting Kingsley, Leicester away and many, many more!

Also seen so many of the bad moments, including all the playoff defeats, (not sure which Pants day fits into, Sunny Scunny probably a positive) but now more than eclipsed by the good.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 16 May 2012 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2012 18:31

RoyalBlue Least:

Archie's (in effect) double miss! Good old Geordie had set him up for a second chance with his quick thinking and reactions.

Good call for Gilkes in the Simod Cup final - perhaps better still the one he took in the shoot out to send us there.

I also really enjoyed Adie Viveash's against that little team from the East End on 9/11

Great call for Gilkes in the Simod Cup Final - it was Stuart Beavon (senior)

Now Gilkes in the semi-final ............

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2012 18:36

Franchise FC
RoyalBlue Least:

Of course, you are right :oops: . Gilkes won the pen (cue tremendous celebrations) Beavon took it. Seem to remember he was a pretty reliable penalty taker.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 16 May 2012 19:42

Jimmy Quinn for Bournemouth against us for Bournemouth.

Made it 3-2, I think, in the 90th minute at Dean Court. Didn't see it go in as the travelling South Bank were all up on the perimeter fencing, though Quinn did run along the touchline celebrating.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2012 20:36

RoyalBlue
Franchise FC
RoyalBlue Least:

Of course, you are right :oops: . Gilkes won the pen (cue tremendous celebrations) Beavon took it. Seem to remember he was a pretty reliable penalty taker.

And of course Gilkes was brought down at least a yard or so outside the box :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 May 2012 06:45

RoyalBlue
Franchise FC
RoyalBlue Least:

Bumped into a Luton fan at a trade show last week; he still remembers how Gilkes ripped their defence a new one in the Simod Cup Final!

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 22 May 2012 09:39

gazzer, loyal royal Portsmouth in the year we got relegated. Think it was new years day. Sonko got sent out within 2 minutes, and Portsmouth smash the pen against the post.False hope, we lost the game

didn't Sonko give away 4 pens away in 4 games that year? Blackburn, Tottenham Pompey and another?

Best for Murts QPR or Doyle Botlon away

Good shout - away from the obvious moments, this is one that sticks with me, such a good turn around after a crap 80 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjEOHRPcN8

Skyline

by Skyline » 27 May 2012 17:55

Croydon Royal
arthurfondrelli Also enjoyed a Hahnemann save vs Watford, 02/03 season I think

Came in to post this one. The obvious ones deservedly get precedence (Murty v QPR, Harte v West Ham, Federici v Brighton) but this was an outstanding save. I think it was Neil Cox who took the penalty, and absolutely leathered it into the corner, but Hahnemann launched himself and pushed it away. And IIRC we won the game 1-0, which made it all the more pivotal.

What made it even better was that Watford actually scored what looked like a perfectly good goal, but the ref had blown up for a handball by (I think) Harper and awarded the penalty instead. If he'd played advantage we'd've been 1-0 down, rather than staying at 0-0, before going on to win the game.