Coming soon to a cinema near you - Robin Friday The Movie

190 posts
Vic_Flange

Re: Coming soon to a cinema near you - Robin Friday The Movi

by Vic_Flange » 28 Mar 2013 10:36

As other people have mentioned already; it looks like its going to be all about those taff bastards. We may get his famous goal; a bit of on screen talk with the actor playing with Charlie Hurley (any ideas for this one?), and a shit in the bath.

It sort of sums us up genererally :

1. One great goal that no bugger, [OK, only a few before Im inundated with "I was there replies"' ] saw; including no TV

2. 1% of media time such as talking to the Guv.

3. Reading pissed off with shit

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Mar 2013 11:12

Vic_Flange As other people have mentioned already; it looks like its going to be all about those taff bastards. We may get his famous goal; a bit of on screen talk with the actor playing with Charlie Hurley (any ideas for this one?), and a shit in the bath.

It sort of sums us up genererally :

1. One great goal that no bugger, [OK, only a few before Im inundated with "I was there replies"' ] saw; including no TV

2. 1% of media time such as talking to the Guv.

3. Reading pissed off with shit

I saw that goal! :wink:

I was also at the game when he kissed the copper by the side of the Tilehurst End goal and I also saw his debut for us! :wink:

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 28 Mar 2013 12:47

I didn't get the impression that they are going to overlook his time at Reading.

The bloke who wrote the book is involved so I'm sure it's in safe hands. Lawros kit bag was whilst he was with us, wasn't it?

Just want to see Batman with long hair, wearing a Reading shirt, dumping in a mark Lawrensons Gola bag.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 28 Mar 2013 12:49

i saw the goal, it was magnificent! :lol: 8) :D

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Mar 2013 13:21

USA_Loyal_Royal i saw the goal, it was magnificent! :lol: 8) :D

I'm going to commit sacrilege by challenging the myth. My memories were that it was a great goal but perhaps not as spectacular as Clive Thomas made out. However, I was a young kid at that time and my exposure to and knowledge of the game was not that great. Clive Thomas would have seen far more football at all levels and there is no disputing that he was genuinely and visibly stunned as the ball flew into the net.

I remember Jimmy Quinn scoring a pretty spectacular goal for us (I think it was at the same end but can't remember who it was against). However, Jimmy was very ordinary and boring when compared to the flamboyant and rebellious Friday so his effort was never likely to be remembered in quite the same way.

Had Friday been playing today and been represented by an agent, he would have had the potential to become extremely famous and extremely rich. That, of course, assuming that he wasn't very quickly banned by the authorities! Vinnie Jones, Joey Barton etc. were/are choirboys compared to him!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 Mar 2013 14:27

One of the few goals I've seen where the momentary stunned silence before the crowd burst into rapturous applause, spoke volumes.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 28 Mar 2013 14:45

Even though I wasn't born yet I was still definately there along with the other 175,000 fans on the Southbank

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 28 Mar 2013 14:48

Scutterbucketz Lawros kit bag was whilst he was with us, wasn't it?

Just want to see Batman with long hair, wearing a Reading shirt, dumping in a mark Lawrensons Gola bag.

Nope whilst at Cardiff.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 28 Mar 2013 14:50

That's a shame.

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 28 Mar 2013 15:04

Cillian Murphy looks-wise

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Robin Friday LKO

by Jackson Corner » 15 Apr 2013 16:52

For those interested in the Robin Friday movie there was a piece on this weeks late kick off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_6/

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Robin Friday LKO

by Man Friday » 15 Apr 2013 17:18

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 15 Apr 2013 17:20

Lovely.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Apr 2013 20:14

MouldyRoyal
Scutterbucketz Lawros kit bag was whilst he was with us, wasn't it?

Nope whilst at Cardiff.

Yep was Brighton V Cardiff - I may be wrong on this but I think it was his last ever league game.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Apr 2013 22:51

Jackson Corner For those interested in the Robin Friday movie there was a piece on this weeks late kick off.

LOL @ the bloke saying "he'll give you his last pound" - more like he'll rob you of your last pound

Wasn't the nicest of blokes growing up

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 15 Apr 2013 23:15

TBM
Jackson Corner For those interested in the Robin Friday movie there was a piece on this weeks late kick off.

LOL @ the bloke saying "he'll give you his last pound" - more like he'll rob you of your last pound

Given some of your postings on AE m8, I think you're another one that would do well to look up hypocrite in the dictionary.

You've no first hand experience of Robin have you so not sure how you're making that assumption.

He was no angel that's for sure. However, he wasn't a nasty bloke in my experience and everyone I've ever spoken to at Reading that was there during his years always remembered him fondly.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Apr 2013 23:40

Para Handy
TBM

Given some of your postings on AE m8, I think you're another one that would do well to look up hypocrite in the dictionary.

You've no first hand experience of Robin have you so not sure how you're making that assumption.

He was no angel that's for sure. However, he wasn't a nasty bloke in my experience and everyone I've ever spoken to at Reading that was there during his years always remembered him fondly.

My Dad grew up in the same estate as Robin Friday and hung around with his brother Tony - they also used to play in the same local football team before he moved on to the professional game.

So no, you're right i don't have first hand experience but my old man does. Also my Grandad (who was his manager) was asked to give some stories in the book that was released but refused as he had nothing good to say - apart from biting part of someone's nose off when they went in a bit hard on him at training.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 16 Apr 2013 00:14

Take a look at the guy who is writing the film credentials. His name is Julian Stone. He's been an actor in some shite films and has written nothing of note. I have a feeling this is going to be "When Saturday Comes" bad.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Apr 2013 00:17

Scutterbucketz Take a look at the guy who is writing the film credentials. His name is Julian Stone. He's been an actor in some shite films and has written nothing of note. I have a feeling this is going to be "When Saturday Comes" bad.

Who cares? No one outside of Reading and Cardiff will see it anyway.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Apr 2013 12:55

Scutterbucketz Take a look at the guy who is writing the film credentials. His name is Julian Stone. He's been an actor in some shite films and has written nothing of note. I have a feeling this is going to be "When Saturday Comes" bad.

The talk in the clip was of a big Hollywood production. In reality low budget Brit flick with a bit of American backing. As for the person to play Robin, I thought of the guy Tom Hughes who was in Cementry Junction, the Ricky Gervais film about growing up in Reading.

190 posts