190 posts
harryroyal

Re: When was your first Reading game?

by harryroyal » 12 Sep 2012 18:37

woohoo ten pages.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 12 Sep 2012 19:37

I've told you enough times now. You are all frigging newbies when it comes to watching RFC.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 12 Sep 2012 20:53

For anyone struggling to remember exact details of their first game, try this site:

http://www.11v11.com/teams/reading/tab/matches

Search by season on the left and you can call up every league match in England ever played

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 12 Sep 2012 22:01

maffff
Royalclapper Southport away at Haigh Avenue. Late 70's/early 80's. Not sure when they went out of the league off hand, must of been very close to it being their last season. Could have been 0-0 or even a loss, memory isn't what it used to be blah blah.

There was a 1-1 up there in 77/78, which was their last season in the league. Although that was the game rescheduled twice [and Paul Black was the only away fan to make it to?]. Was a few years before I was born though.....

75/76 we won 1-2, 74/75 they beat us 2-0. If any of that helps. In fact, we've never had a 0-0 with them.

http://www.southportfootballclub.co.uk/ ... hp?opp=173

I do like Haig Ave. The Terraces and Atmosphere when in the home end [the Jack Carr, behind the goal opposite to the away fans] reminds me a bit of Elm Park. R.I.P. :cry: good craic for the awaydays with them too, great crew, besides the ringleader who is a total dick..

Cheers for that info. It would have been the 77/78 1-1 draw. There were actually 3 Reading fans in attendance at that game in fact (unless anyone else comes forward).

Our attendance was most likely to have been overlooked due to the fact we had family living in Lytham (old FL HQ) who we were visiting at the time. Anyway, my dad and I attended the game with an Uncle who followed both Blackpool and Southport's home games. Thus, I'm fairly sure we would have sat in the respectable main 'home stand'. I could even have the programme somewhere.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 13 Sep 2012 12:42

first Reading game was on the day of the terroist attack on the Twin Towers, it was a League Cup tie against West Ham, an awful game that ended 0-0 after extra time and the penalty shoot out wasn't much better as think both sides missed a couple of spot kicks.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 13 Sep 2012 12:49

home to Shrewsbury in 1967 - can't remember a thing about it though

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 Sep 2012 15:45

Mine was in March 2001, at home to Bristol City. I was 7 years old at the time. I remember being elated as we took the lead early on, but slowly it all went pear shaped as we ended up losing 3-1, and I cried on the way home.

After looking the match up a few years later, I found out that our scorer on the day was a certain Graeme Murty, his first for the club. I was there when he scored his other Reading goal as well :lol:
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 13 Sep 2012 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 13 Sep 2012 16:11

maffff
reading_fan I always think when this thread rolls round that we could produce a good book "A Fans Guide to Reading FC", given all the anecdotes over the years about specific games. And with the likes of Ark and some of the older posters we could get a good historical element to it too

Same; Or a site to try to capture it, the history of the club, etc from the fans perspective........ since we're embarking on a new historical era etc.

Always happy to host things like this on The Tilehurst End, and without giving too much away, the new features that are set to roll out will make organising and keeping those stories somewhere visible will become a lot easier.

Turnball ACs

by Turnball ACs » 13 Sep 2012 19:02

Hi all, been reading this board for years but never joined til now. First game for me was Reading v New Zealand around 1984. George Best played for Reading, as did Martin Peters I think?? We lost 2-1 if I recall correctly. First away game Newport 1985 during the 13 wins. Amazing day including having a Fisher Price fire station with us for me to stand on so I could see. Was a regular of the "SAFE" campaign (Safety At Football for Everyone) in the late 80s, a scheme for schoolchildren to get into the end section of seats at Elm Park for a quid (we just used to walk along the edge of the pitch and go through to the Tilehurst End). Migrated to the South Bank around 1990 as a 14 yr old. Really got the taste for it and first away game with mates was Slough in the FA Cup Nov 1991. Wonderful day out for a 15 yr old and I realised the day out was just as important as the match. First away game being naughty was Bournemouth away late 1992 followed by Exeter at home a week or so later I think (lost 3-2) when somehow ended up among the Reading lads marching around Suffolk Road and straight into Exeter. Happy days. First TV appearance obviously Swansea at home 1993 (Meridien News getting stuck into Swansea at the front of the South Bank). Had years of interesting interactions with opposing supporters until things finally caught up with me. Visited over 70 grounds now watching Reading and spent thousands upon thousands of pounds. Each and every penny was worth it. Sad to think that most of the old firm are now married with children (I'm genuinely happy for them) and don't ever go to football. I'll be there for ever though.........

marettes

by marettes » 13 Sep 2012 19:17

Elm Park 24 October 1959 Reading 1-0 York City Division 3. My uncle took me to the game, I would have been 9 years old.

190 posts