Why so negative after three games?

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why so negative after three games?

by SydenhamRoyal » 17 Sep 2012 18:52

I think the reason for the negativity is not the points tally - away to Chelsea home to Spurs is not where need our points, they will just be bonuses.

It was the level of performance that was really concerning - Le Fondre played ok, and the Pog shows real quality at times; McCleary has had a good season, and I think Pearce has been ok. And that's it ... Yesterday some of the basic went really astray, time and time again - some examples, McCarthy passing to Defoe in the box; Gorkks losing the ball to Defoe on the half way line because he couldnt control the ball - and Defoe scored. The space in the box for the other 2 goals. The lack of fight, especially in the first half. The defence having a go at each other after the 2nd goal - the last time I saw this was early on in the season we got relegated from the Prem.

However ... I thought we played well against Stoke, and I thought we played well against Chelsea, and there's a long way to go.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 17 Sep 2012 19:10

For me, the formation against spurs, the way we went about the first half and the failure to bring in more pace at the back in central midfield and upfront make me nervous about the future

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 17 Sep 2012 19:14

SydenhamRoyal I think the reason for the negativity is not the points tally - away to Chelsea home to Spurs is not where need our points, they will just be bonuses.

It was the level of performance that was really concerning - Le Fondre played ok, and the Pog shows real quality at times; McCleary has had a good season, and I think Pearce has been ok. And that's it ... Yesterday some of the basic went really astray, time and time again - some examples, McCarthy passing to Defoe in the box; Gorkks losing the ball to Defoe on the half way line because he couldnt control the ball - and Defoe scored. The space in the box for the other 2 goals. The lack of fight, especially in the first half. The defence having a go at each other after the 2nd goal - the last time I saw this was early on in the season we got relegated from the Prem.

However ... I thought we played well against Stoke, and I thought we played well against Chelsea, and there's a long way to go.

That's pretty much spot on and how I feel. It is the schoolboy errors, lack of basic skills (ie speed where we need it, defending tight on man, interpretating the play) dare I say it but lack of passion, fitness (eg Legs of wood), criminally bad, naive tactics and the usual lack of creativity - which we got away with the Championship but we will not here, that worry me.

I'm glad I haven't seen the word confidence yet in any of these similar threads. When the 'lack of confidence' explanation rears it's head as an excuse, then that really will be time to switch the lights off

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2012 00:17

Mr.T10 I have looked through and all I see is doom and gloom from my fellow Royals. Lets look at it realistically.

Realistically we drew at home to crappy Stoke. We were brave and unlucky but were by far the worse team against Chelsea and we were slaughtered by Spurs.

Yes it's early days so no need for doom and gloom just yet but theres not exactly much to be positive about. Except the likelihood with BM that he starts slow, then figures things out as the season progresses and then we start flying. And we have Anton on board so if things go tits up come January we don't have a spineless former hero in charge of things anymore and money will be spent for sure.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 20 Sep 2012 09:59

We should have beaten Stoke. Apart from a 30 minute spell, we were outclassed by both Chelsea and Spurs. The performance against Peterborough was also poor. 3 points from Stoke would have given us a reasonable buffer. Instead, we are stuck on 1 point and could be there for a while. Hopefully we wont be but we could. If we are then we wil be in trouble. If we are still struggling by Christmas then it could well be too late. We need to start picking up points sooner rather than later.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Sep 2012 11:17

M Brook we are stuck on 1 point and could be there for a while. Hopefully we wont be but we could. If we are then we wil be in trouble. If we are still struggling by Christmas then it could well be too late. We need to start picking up points sooner rather than later.

This is some remarkable insight.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 20 Sep 2012 11:41

Maguire
M Brook we are stuck on 1 point and could be there for a while. Hopefully we wont be but we could. If we are then we wil be in trouble. If we are still struggling by Christmas then it could well be too late. We need to start picking up points sooner rather than later.

Thank you.

Do you have a view on this you are prepared to share or are you happy just picking holes on other folk's contirbutions?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Sep 2012 12:37

There is negativity because

- the manner of defeat at home to Spurs was woeful
- the team spirit on which much of our success is built is looking a bit shot
- we have both our keepers looking shaky
- newly promoted teams tend to score most points in the first half of the season

Long way to go though and we have started poorly in each of the last three previous seasons

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 20 Sep 2012 12:40

Schards#2 There is negativity because

- newly promoted teams tend to score most points in the first half of the season

Long way to go though and we have started poorly in each of the last three previous seasons

Past performance is under no circumstances to be assumed to apply in the future. :wink:
In-joke within our businesses.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Sep 2012 12:49

M Brook
Maguire

Thank you.

Do you have a view on this you are prepared to share or are you happy just picking holes on other folk's contirbutions?

As to why people are so negative after two defeats? I suspect that's because football fans are the ultimate short-termists who change their opinions like the wind depending on results. If we win on Saturday it'll all be roses again.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 20 Sep 2012 12:59

Agreed on three out of the four points, however I can't say that I've seen any indication of the team spirit being a bit shot. What gave you that impression?

Don't get me wrong, the results so far and the 25 day break will no doubt have frustrated the lads, but to me both on and off the field the team morale appears to be relatively healthy. Truth be told I'm hoping that our solidarity may be worth a few points this season so I certainly hope it isn't waning!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Sep 2012 13:54

Royal Prince

Agreed on three out of the four points, however I can't say that I've seen any indication of the team spirit being a bit shot. What gave you that impression?
Don't get me wrong, the results so far and the 25 day break will no doubt have frustrated the lads, but to me both on and off the field the team morale appears to be relatively healthy. Truth be told I'm hoping that our solidarity may be worth a few points this season so I certainly hope it isn't waning!

Goalkeeper throwing his toys out the pram after being dropped and his family seeming to be happy we subsequently lost.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 20 Sep 2012 14:34

can remember listening to Mick McC on Talk Sport who was saying that now we are in the premiership they will be alot fewer games where as fans we come away really happy and that when that happens we should make the most it. The rest of the time people are going to come away disappointed

We are in the premiership, we are going to lose more and anyway we had shaky games at the beginning last season where everyone was in a panic. Give it a few more games

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 20 Sep 2012 17:00

I'm hoping that the Spurs game is this seasons Watford debacle and things will pick up from here on in

Davezk

by Davezk » 20 Sep 2012 19:53

It's easy to say 'ok we've only played 3 games, so what?'. What worries me is that promoted teams normally show spirit and attacking intent. We've done neither.

Further to that, we are making a lot of basic 'schoolboy' errors. Such behaviour usually indicates a comedy team that will struggle a la Derby. When we went up I thought we somehow fluked a few results which got us up and now we're been exposed to some real quality, the fortress is coming down.

I hope I'm wrong and that we turn it round. It's more hope than expectation though.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 20 Sep 2012 22:22

Davezk It's easy to say 'ok we've only played 3 games, so what?'. What worries me is that promoted teams normally show spirit and attacking intent. We've done neither.

:shock: Not even against Chelsea or Stoke? There were even some spells in the Spurs game when we went on the attack. It showed spirit to keep going at 3-0 down surely.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 20 Sep 2012 22:44

Davezk It's easy to say 'ok we've only played 3 games, so what?'. What worries me is that promoted teams normally show spirit and attacking intent. We've done neither.

Further to that, we are making a lot of basic 'schoolboy' errors. Such behaviour usually indicates a comedy team that will struggle a la Derby. When we went up I thought we somehow fluked a few results which got us up and now we're been exposed to some real quality, the fortress is coming down.

I hope I'm wrong and that we turn it round. It's more hope than expectation though.

Yeah and McDermott fluked a Wembley final the season before, and fluked two fa cup quarter finals and a tremendous run the year before that?

And intent? Bringing on alf when drawing away at chelsea?

No way reading could win at anfield or goodison, or nearly hold out v man city or chelsea.

Basically I'm pleased to tell you you are wrong.

Davezk

by Davezk » 20 Sep 2012 23:06

Stuboo

:shock: Not even against Chelsea or Stoke? There were even some spells in the Spurs game when we went on the attack. It showed spirit to keep going at 3-0 down surely.

I must have clearly watched a different game to others but against Chelsea, bar a few good runs down the wing, we were hanging on for most of the 40 mins that we led. It's been nothing like the last time we came up when we actually took the game to the opponents. Against Spurs, we barely crossed the halfway line with 2 players apart from maybe a brief 10 min spell in the second half.

Davezk

by Davezk » 20 Sep 2012 23:14

Z175

Yeah and McDermott fluked a Wembley final the season before, and fluked two fa cup quarter finals and a tremendous run the year before that?

And intent? Bringing on alf when drawing away at chelsea?

No way reading could win at anfield or goodison, or nearly hold out v man city or chelsea.

Basically I'm pleased to tell you you are wrong.

Brighton away, Southampton away and West Ham away. 3 games we could have and probably should have lost given the domination of the opposition. Without those points we wouldn't be where we are now. Our top goalscorer got 12 goals in the championship. Are they magically going to score more in a harder league with better defenders and less games?

I define intent through the way we play rather than the subs that are being made. I've always hated playing 1 up front as it gives little scope to build attacks and it's overly defensive. Hoofing the ball into the channels is all we seemed to do vs Spurs. Are these tactics going to keep us up?

We need to improve drastically against WBA and maintain that level over the WHOLE 90 mins. Lapses in concentration will get us relegated. Also, why does it take our team so long to 'start' a season? Why can't we make a decent start to a season for once?

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 21 Sep 2012 00:31

Libertine Rose Tinted Glasses...

Really? I always remember it in the early days as Royals tinted glasses, obviously a play on rose.

I am worried though because we have been unlucky but losing can become a habit so we need to break this soon.

We also cannot afford to wait till Christmas in the prem. Down at Christmas invariably means down at the end of the season. That said, Christmas might be 5 games away at this rate

I think we have the quality to stay up but we need to break this (short) run of defeats before its no longer short and real doubt start playing on the teams minds.