ATMOSPHERE-More songs

122 posts
RepressedRoyal

Re: ATMOSPHERE-More songs

by RepressedRoyal » 10 Oct 2012 19:39

Royal Ginger
JS28ZoD Too many of us fans moan about the atmosphere and fail to realise that it is you that need to improve this, not the person sat next to you, you. So get involved signing and try and contribute, if we all did this we would have a cracking atmosphere! Why don't we all start by coming up with some new songs so that each player has at least one, who cares if they are crap just come up with something and we are bound to find a few decent ones!

For Alfie:
When the ball hits the net
It's not Shearer or Best
It's Le Fondre!

McLeary:
Gareth McLeary
Don't let us down we pray
Gareth McLeary
Now that we found you stay
Gareth McLeary
Trust in us when we sing
oxf*rd

I wouldn't get song sheets printed.

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 10 Oct 2012 19:40

RepressedRoyal
Royal Ginger
JS28ZoD Too many of us fans moan about the atmosphere and fail to realise that it is you that need to improve this, not the person sat next to you, you. So get involved signing and try and contribute, if we all did this we would have a cracking atmosphere! Why don't we all start by coming up with some new songs so that each player has at least one, who cares if they are crap just come up with something and we are bound to find a few decent ones!

For Alfie:
When the ball hits the net
It's not Shearer or Best
It's Le Fondre!

McLeary:
Gareth McLeary
Don't let us down we pray
Gareth McLeary
Now that we found you stay
Gareth McLeary
Trust in us when we sing

I wouldn't get song sheets printed.

Pile of w@nk

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 10 Oct 2012 19:55

Cant remember who said it on a different thread, but we at least need to sing "Pavel Pogrebnyak" to the tune of "Sonko is Superman".

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 10 Oct 2012 20:10

The Pog's chant should just be 'Pavel Pogrebnyak' repeated to the tune of the Russian national anthem.

I don't claim credit, by the way. Someone said it on the ol' Hob Nob a while back. Can't remember who.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 10 Oct 2012 20:45

ma-ri-a-pa to the 500 miles chorus bit where they just shout (Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Undela Undela Undela la la la)
(Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Undela Undela Undela la la la)

even spaz massive can remember that one

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Oct 2012 20:50

mr_number
Stuka

I do quite like the idea of the whole of the Madejski belting that out actually - I'm sure the drummer could manage the intro... then the whole of the West Stand erupts: "Waaaalk.... in siilence". Pretty strong stuff.

IN for giving our games a bit of "Atmosphere"

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 10 Oct 2012 20:54

Ian Royal
SPARTA The only contribution i'll make to this thread is that I would love to hear us adopt and adapt the Spurs/Saints/Stoke version of "Oh when the ______, goes marching in..."

Slowed down is very effective, and very noisy.

Why some of our fans rubbish it because it's 'copying' I don't know. Most football songs are borrowed and ripped off.

It sounds great!

We've been singing that since at least the 90s. Well, when we regularly sang something other than "Blarmy" anyway.

Their version we haven't (slow and far more effective, not to mention louder)

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 10 Oct 2012 21:41

The songs we have just dont create any atmosphere at all theyre so short and only contain a few words, i like the idea of doing oh when -insert playee name here- goes marching etc for the starting 11 during the game surely the players will get a sort of buzz of that. Also the song that reading fans where singing at half time at swansea (and the raf from reading shot them down)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2012 22:22

Cobi
Ian Royal
SPARTA The only contribution i'll make to this thread is that I would love to hear us adopt and adapt the Spurs/Saints/Stoke version of "Oh when the ______, goes marching in..."

Slowed down is very effective, and very noisy.

Why some of our fans rubbish it because it's 'copying' I don't know. Most football songs are borrowed and ripped off.

It sounds great!

We've been singing that since at least the 90s. Well, when we regularly sang something other than "Blarmy" anyway.

Their version we haven't (slow and far more effective, not to mention louder)

That's because our singers are all 15 and in need of Ritalin.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 10 Oct 2012 22:46

RoyallyFcuked Cant remember who said it on a different thread, but we at least need to sing "Pavel Pogrebnyak" to the tune of "Sonko is Superman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Pavel Pavel Pavel Pavel Pogrebnyak
He'll score a goal
He'll score a goaaaaaaaaaal

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 11 Oct 2012 01:58

Sad to say that Reading fans just aren't as good as they used to be and that's not easier said than done.

The effort at Swansea was truly pathetic but I'm sure most of those there weren't going 5/10 years ago. Very frustrating being sat on the front row having to sit down thanks to our new batch of daytrippers.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 11 Oct 2012 08:52

The "so happy together" song would be the best one. No other English clubs sing it and even the happy clappy people can join in whilst the song still makes a lot of noise and can be sung for a long period of time.

Also like "oh when the hoops" or doing it to the starting 11 as it means we can actually have a reasonably loud song sang over a long period of time.

We all know what's going to happen though these songs will get suggested and everyone will be like "yeah that sounds good. Let's do it!" and you will hear it once and no one will join in. Then after a couple of months it will be another atmosphere thread on HNA.

Spotters Badge

by Spotters Badge » 11 Oct 2012 09:08

Compo's Hat
The effort at Swansea was truly pathetic

Whilst this is true the most pathetic song at Swansea came from the home support.

The Michu rendition of 'We will rock you'....was just laughable.

Hope I never hear anything as cringeworthy from Reading fans.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Oct 2012 09:12

lies

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 11 Oct 2012 09:26

As I posted elsewhere, about "song sheets" with a few minor edits for clarity :

Alexander Litvinenko ..... most of the cultural factors which led to songs being associated with football have gone out of the game.

Through the history of professional football, it was a terrace-based game and people knew that to get "their place" on the terraces they needed to be there at about 1.30pm or earlier. The terraces would gradually fill up and the sense of anticipation would gradually grow, and it was the close proximity to other like-minded supporters that spawned songs being created and taken up by others. And it was survival of the fittest with them - the good ones were remembered and sung week after week, whilst the bad ones just never got off the ground.

Now that people have reserved seats in the stands, get to the ground after 2/2.30 pm and spend the majority of their time there in the queue for a beer or watching Sky Sports on the TVs on the concourses the whole cultural breeding-ground for songs has died - which is why the majority of songs sung these days are re-hashes of what people have seen sung on the telly. The few original ones that do spring up are usually products of away games or travel to away games - again, where supporters are travelling together and are in close proximity for long periods.

So this [song sheets] isn't embarrassing or anything like that - it's just an artificial attempt to perpetuate songs when all the cultural aspects which led to their spontaneous creation have been taken out of the game. But the image of "football supporters singing songs" is still one that perpetuates, so clubs' marketing departments try to jump-start the patient's heart again and again, without realising that they can't keep the patient alive when its food and water supplies were cut off long ago.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 11 Oct 2012 09:51

RoyalJames101
RoyallyFcuked Cant remember who said it on a different thread, but we at least need to sing "Pavel Pogrebnyak" to the tune of "Sonko is Superman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Pavel Pavel Pavel Pavel Pogrebnyak
He'll score a goal
He'll score a goaaaaaaaaaal

This song is approved by Mr N.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 11 Oct 2012 09:51

Or we could just stop worrying about it?

Most other sports; Cricket, Rugby, Baseball, Basketball etc seems to manage OK without the crowd serenading the players non stop.

As the very good post ^^^ points out the cultural factors which led to large scale chanting have gone. I would also add that many of the classic chants and songs are derived from hymns (e.g. bread of heaven) that fans would have sung in church when large scale religious attendance was the norm. An increasingly middle class, reserved crowd not used to chanting/singing in public is not going to behave in the same way as it did 30/40/50 years ago.

Just accepting this and moving on might be another option to increasingly gimmicky attempts to bring back large scale singing as a means to motivate professional sportsmen.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 11 Oct 2012 10:24

Are people no longer singing our official anthem, 500 miles? Hinton put so much work into lobbying for that, it would be a shame to let go of a song that’s so quintessentially Reading, it has such a strong tie with the heritage of the club.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 11 Oct 2012 10:40

I thought that singing does and always has existed in Rugby, traditionaly more of a middle class following than football. Not sure about it being an entirely class oriented reason. Trends are often seen and pioneered in football that act as a wider barometer to cutural changes and influences.

For me, it is largely due to the newer stadiums being constructed with the emphasis being on safety rather than supporters desires. Demand for tickets in all seated premier league stadia has also obviously meant splitting old groups up. Fans were moaning about this years ago at Old Trafford and trends tend to work top down in football. The atmosphere was never always great even with terraces, and even at the big clubs, it was of course great for certain games which is not so frequent or apparent now.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 11 Oct 2012 11:25

Stuka
mr_number
Stuka

I do quite like the idea of the whole of the Madejski belting that out actually - I'm sure the drummer could manage the intro... then the whole of the West Stand erupts: "Waaaalk.... in siilence". Pretty strong stuff.

IN for giving our games a bit of "Atmosphere"

It might accurately voice the air of melancholy that could potentially sweep over fans by about March of next year.

122 posts