Local Derby

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Local Derby

by ankeny » 09 Jan 2013 18:25

UpThePrem I haven't been around long enough to know, but what is this rivalry with Bounemouth. I saw last year that a lot of their fans had put us top of their list of rivals. What's happened in the past? Surely Bounemouth's rivals are Pompey or Southampton.

Mark Stein in the 3-3 thats why

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 09 Jan 2013 19:17

ankeny
UpThePrem I haven't been around long enough to know, but what is this rivalry with Bounemouth. I saw last year that a lot of their fans had put us top of their list of rivals. What's happened in the past? Surely Bounemouth's rivals are Pompey or Southampton.

Redkanpp used to stir things up big time when he was their manager particularly the year we won the 3rd division playing hoofball in the mid 1980s - I am sure at one point he said we were an embarrassment to the lower leagues.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 09 Jan 2013 19:51

Royalclapper The fixture I always looked forward to (mainly pre-Madjeski) was Brentford. It's a kind of Metro v Provincial rivalry, both clubs usually take/took good followings to each others grounds, very often in the same league, once very comparable clubs and local enough. My highlight at Griffin Park was the 1-2 during the 13 consecutive wins season (win no.7 iirc), Peters and Senior for RFC. They were well hacked off after that game.

Always felt they probably had/have a kind of more subdued (but still there nonetheless) disliking of us. And tbf, without SJM we would be the equivalent of them now.

Looking pretty likely we'll be back to Griffin Park next season. Lovely stuff!!

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 09 Jan 2013 20:15

Ian Royal
grey_squirrel To answer a previous poster, in addition to proximity, rival status also involves frequency.

Thus although Bournemouth's local rivals should be Southampton, they have hardly ever been in the same Division. Thus since we have played them often in the latter part of the 20th Century and are the next nearest to them, they sight us as their biggest rivals.

For the umpteenth time, whether we like it or not, Swindon and Oxford don't give 2 hoots about us. They dislike each other and that's it.
That survey would suggest you're wrong. As would my experiences. They dislike each other more than us, but they still dislike us plenty.

Probably includes armchair 'followers' like you then Ian.

Dave_Kitson

by Dave_Kitson » 09 Jan 2013 20:36

We 'ate the Swindon....

:evil:

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 09 Jan 2013 20:51

ankeny

Surely it was Jermaine Defoe not Stein