FAO Brian

155 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: FAO Brian

by melonhead » 26 Feb 2013 12:04

DOYLERSAROYALER
melonhead
Royal91 I've got no confidence in McDermott purely for his team selections and his favouritisms towards McAnuff and L,wood.

His justification for dropping Pearce just showed he hasn't got a frigging clue what he's doing at this level.

theyve not been perfect, but when these two play well, we get points.

Well a total of 23 pts out of 81 says it all then ...they aren't very good

dont think theres any correlation there tbf

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 26 Feb 2013 12:48

If we somehow avoid relegation it will be because the 3 teams below fcuked up in a far greater way than we have this season.

everything about us smacks of relegation fodder this year - Unstable defence, player/manager fallouts, poor football, signings that have backfired, the list goes on...

If we do go down, with TSI we should have a solid financial footing to keep our core squad together, and we should have a strong set of players to get us back up. I think Brian is acting the fool guy to a certain extent, he knows he can't rock the boat too much - he's not a Redknapp figure who can demand things left right and centre, or criticise who he likes, all with the press's backing.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 26 Feb 2013 13:00

M U R T Y If we do go down, with TSI we should have a solid financial footing to keep our core squad together, and we should have a strong set of players to get us back up. I think Brian is acting the fool guy to a certain extent, he knows he can't rock the boat too much - he's not a Redknapp figure who can demand things left right and centre, or criticise who he likes, all with the press's backing.

Agreed, but do we have the right manager? As you said, there's been numerous player/manager fall outs, and then there's these negative tactics. We used them last season, and yes they worked, but most of us appreciate we got a bit lucky on a few occasions too. I don't want to see us sittig back and hitting teams on the counter next season. I think it will unfortunetely see an early exit for Brian before November if we stick to that tactic, and have our annual slow start to a season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Feb 2013 13:41

Avon Royal
windermere_royal
Z175 I think the interview was disappointing, but then Brian must have been sick at that result.

But I disagree with a lot of the comments about our team and manager.

I think Pogrebnyaks a great player -its not his fault no one get s anywhere near him. He had a poor game yeaterday, even before the red, but hes turned in some excellent displays of late. And for all those saying hes not likely to score, hes the most clinical player I've every seen for Reading.

Guthrie - this man is so lightweight - his introduction on Monday (at 0-0) resulted in our prompt exit from the FA Cup. Hes had a good 10 mins v WBA in the entire season, you can't blame McDermott for his lack of effort on the pitch and refusing to go on long coach journeys.

Leigertwood - has had an appalling season but has now turned the corner. He played ok on Saturday, unlike almost everyone else, and yet still gets scapegoated. He barely ever gave the ball away and won it back a lot.

So it comes down to the Morrison horror show. There is no way Pearce would have missed a single game if he'd signed a new contract, but McDermotts not going to come out and publically explain we don't want to give him a platform to earn a move from or that the new owner actually picks the team... So Brian has man-ed up and taken the flack for not playing Pearce. In a world with no stingy chairmen or greedy agents, he wouldn't have to do that. Obviously looking at the Pearce v Morrison statistics, this makes him sound like a bad manager, which his why he points to the last 3 years, which show he clearly isn't.

And hes learnt to point out referees mistakes, as hes realised the PL are sensitive to publicity and we'll get a soft decision next week now.

Brilliant post, agree with every word , its truely amazing how others see the game different when its there right in front of them, some mongs just decide they don`t like someone and no kind of decent performances will ever convince them otherwise.

Yeah, but the part about Guthrie costing us the game at Man Utd is utter bollocks. His introduction coincided with that of Robin Van Persie which may have had some impact on the game.

And the tide seemed to be turning before he came on in my view, as Karacan and Legs were clearly shattered and unable to keep up the chasing anymore.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Feb 2013 15:43

numerous player/manager fall outs

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 26 Feb 2013 16:01

Guthrie
Roberts (rumoured)
Shorey (rumoured)
Pearce (rumoured)
Federici (and his Mrs)

anyone else?

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 26 Feb 2013 16:01

melonhead

1 confirmed, plenty more rumoured about.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Feb 2013 16:28

ill just stick with the actual real one, you lot carry on worrying about the imaginary ones

just like brians imaginary vendetta against pearce

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Feb 2013 12:28

melonhead ill just stick with the actual real one, you lot carry on worrying about the imaginary ones

Did I imagine him being dropped for f/ck all reason?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Feb 2013 12:49

melonhead ill just stick with the actual real one, you lot carry on worrying about the imaginary ones

Did you think he was dropped purely on form though? I'll give you those figures again:

0.5 points per game with him dropped, 1.875 points per game with him back in.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Feb 2013 12:52

Brendy could you give some examples of first team regulars dropped for a couple of mistakes in one game if you think Brian's explanation is so truthful and reasonable. Because it seemsn to go against his whole ethos and previous approach to me.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Feb 2013 12:55

That's because he dropped Pearce for contract reasons.

HTH

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 27 Feb 2013 12:58

melonhead

Hunt at the start of the season. Guthrie, the only one the club couldn't keep in house. Roberts had a fall out after Southampton away and hasn't played since. Perhaps Brian jabbed him in the ribs. Probably others too.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Feb 2013 13:00

SPARTA
melonhead

Hunt at the start of the season. Guthrie, the only one the club couldn't keep in house. Roberts had a fall out after Southampton away and hasn't played since. Perhaps Brian jabbed him in the ribs. Probably others too.

Pearce
Shorey
Harte
Pog

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 27 Feb 2013 13:03

Extended-Phenotype
SPARTA Hunt at the start of the season. Guthrie, the only one the club couldn't keep in house. Roberts had a fall out after Southampton away and hasn't played since. Perhaps Brian jabbed him in the ribs. Probably others too.

Pearce
Shorey
Harte
Pog

Defo Pog and Federici too, forgot about him and his soppy twat of a girlfriend. Shorey most likely as there's all sorts of smoke regarding some kind of misconduct and warnings. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearce was cheesed off and had something to say. Harte seems to professional, but would definately be knocking on the door wanting to play, which you want.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Feb 2013 10:43

Royalee

Did you think he was dropped purely on form though? I'll give you those figures again:

0.5 points per game with him dropped, 1.875 points per game with him back in.

agree. shouldnt have been dropped. massive mistake imo.

that doesnt mean a y of those other "bust ups" are any more real

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 Feb 2013 11:46

The only way Pearce is going to get back into the team is if Gary Neville says so.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Feb 2013 17:40

Cypry
howser The inept tactics, confusing and back stabbing team selections, absolute rubbish signings confirms what most thought around November last year, McD in charge with the assistance of Hammond and Madejski pulling the purse strings this was always going to be an impossible challenge, we, as last time,show the premier league no respect, the only teams that remain in the top league for season after season are those who invest in, and I recall that we were going to do this, premiership experienced players.

A rubbish season where we are going to be embarrased more often than not, in the remaining games.

I keep reading this in various threads - people seem to be quoting Brian out of context repeatedly..."we were going to do this" - "we were promised experienced Premiership players" - no we weren't!!!!

What he actually said prior to the January transfer window was that we would TRY to get in experienced Premiership players, and he immediately qualified his statement by saying that it would not be an easy task for a club in our position...I have no problem with Brian and the club being criticised for things that they actually have said or done, but if you're going to quote and use that as a basis for your criticism, at least quote accurately....

You are right in what you say. However, I remain unconvinced that the club did everything they could have done to bring in some more decent Premiership experienced players in January. There are some pretty good players with a lot of PL experience playing for some of the clubs relegated from the PL at the end of last season (and possibly the season before). I would be very surprised if none of them would have considered joining us.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Feb 2013 19:01

Royal Lady I think he meant we were too nice to them and gave them too many chances - not that I want to make excuses for him but I don't think he meant "nice" as good.

As anyone who listened to him would have completely understood.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Mar 2013 10:16

Extended-Phenotype

Did I imagine him being dropped for f/ck all reason?

no. there was a reason. just one that you disagree with.

suck it up.

155 posts