Which division do you want us in next season?

Which division do you want us in next season?

Championship
22%
Premier league
78%

Total votes: 157
dragpeace

Re: Which division do you want us in next season?

by dragpeace » 05 Mar 2013 16:35

redscot For those living abroad (Scotland) watching games locally would mean League 1 (Carlisie). I think I prefer to watch games on the web and you only get a few in Championship.

For those of us stranded in the USA, being in the Prem has meant that we've seen every game either live or on same-day delay. Being in the Championship means two or three games a year, at a maximum. Even with some of the appalling games we've played, it's been a pleasure being able to actually watch, so I'll be thrilled if we scrape in at 17.

Agreed with those asking what the point of being in the Championship would be. Are those hoping to go back down then hoping that we finish no higher than 7th, next season? Perhaps hoping for a loss in the playoff final? Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun. The goal is to be in the EPL, and to stay in it.

Graham

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 05 Mar 2013 16:42

What a stupid post!

Obviously the PL is the place we want to be.

This small club mentality will keep us in the championship and prevent us from ever moving forward. Just because we have spent 130 years in the lower league people think its acceptable to get relegated.

We should be looking at Fulham and how far along they have come.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 05 Mar 2013 17:17

The thrill of the chase is more fun than the reality of being there. Given the choice of a season at the top of the champ v bottom of prem - I'd go for the champ.
But there are no guaranetees, look at Bloton, Wolves, Brum, Blackburn. If we go down, it could be a choice of mid tabel champ v prem, then i would go for the prem...

JordCot

by JordCot » 05 Mar 2013 17:27

Like a few people have already said a big factor in my decision is the media coverage. Being away at Uni last year I couldn't even listen to BBC berks so had to follow on twitter which is a bit shit. If we drop down I will probably sign up to reading player but I have heard loads of people say its crap. Is it that bad?

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 05 Mar 2013 17:40

Being a football supporter is about living in the moment. I always enjoy it loads when we win/ are successful and hate it loads when we lose/ are unsuccessful.

So, to that effect I won't enjoy relegation and I really enjoyed being promoted. But, I prefer the general experience of being a championship team. Better away days, cheaper tickets, being able to sit where you want at away games, generally having more fun without the bandwagon twats.
And, as I'm going to be a uni student next year (hopefully), games being cheap and not sold out ages in advance will be really good as it'll make it easier to get to a few games.

So yeah, I'm torn. The championship is more fun and other advantages. However, I want us to win and be successful and they put you in the bloody premier league for that. To me the ideal would be if we could keep winning the championship without having to suffer the plastic premier league.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 05 Mar 2013 17:53

The Premier League, of course. The money is vital to the clubs development. It might not be so enjoyable losing most weeks, but this is the level we aspire to play at. This is the place to be! The longer we are here, the bigger the club will grow!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 05 Mar 2013 22:20

dragpeace
redscot For those living abroad (Scotland) watching games locally would mean League 1 (Carlisie). I think I prefer to watch games on the web and you only get a few in Championship.

For those of us stranded in the USA, being in the Prem has meant that we've seen every game either live or on same-day delay. Being in the Championship means two or three games a year, at a maximum. Even with some of the appalling games we've played, it's been a pleasure being able to actually watch, so I'll be thrilled if we scrape in at 17.

Agreed with those asking what the point of being in the Championship would be. Are those hoping to go back down then hoping that we finish no higher than 7th, next season? Perhaps hoping for a loss in the playoff final? Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun. The goal is to be in the EPL, and to stay in it.

Graham

Being able to watch Reading instead of just listening has made this season special. I would hope that in the future there would be more streaming of lower level games for a fee. I know I would pony up to watch even if we dropped to the lower regions of the football league.

redscot

by redscot » 05 Mar 2013 22:50

seahawk10 [I would hope that in the future there would be more streaming of lower level games for a fee.

You cant watch certain programs on the web if you are in wrong region, so it should be easy to sort out streaming for those outside of Berkshire and maybe a bit further away. Its not likely that a Reading fan in Port Talbot is going to bother going to a home match, but might pay a fee to watch a streaming of the game. Paying to listen to someone else watching the game is not the same thing....

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 05 Mar 2013 23:10

not really bothered tbh. Relegation battle is relatively exciting

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 05 Mar 2013 23:21

Whichever league Cardiff and Swansea are in. There has to be some perks of living in South Wales.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 06 Mar 2013 01:01

creative_username_1 not really bothered tbh. Relegation battle is relatively exciting

IF we are to be relegated PLEASE make it before the last match of the season for certain reasons. This season has been a mixed bag for me. Real intense highs to abject resignation. I wouldn't say I have particularly got real enjoyment out of 75% of this season. In certain instances the sense of occasion has been pushed back and it's about the day more than the event.
The gloss of EPL football is not even there this time around, or about the loss or the occasional win or Reading reaching the pinnicle of the football leagues. It's a manipulated circus with matches moved, heavy cost, a slog of a season with a likely outcome. It's like making farting noises with a deflating baloon and looking at the nearest person to blame.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 06 Mar 2013 07:02

Stupid post and no brainer. The Premier League.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Mar 2013 08:30

SPARTA The Premier League, of course. The money is vital to the clubs development. It might not be so enjoyable losing most weeks, but this is the level we aspire to play at. This is the place to be! The longer we are here, the bigger the club will grow!

This really. I hate the whole Premier league circus and all it entails and frankly i wouldn't be heartbroken if we did go down but surely no-one in their right mind really wants us to be anywhere other than the highest level possible.

The consolation for me in playing in the championship would be that there would be more opportunities in theory to see Academy players blooded which in the long run may also help the club to grow. Unfortunately in practice the pressure to get promotion straight back is only marginally less than it is to stay in it so the reality is those opportunities for youth development aren't anywhere near as high as I would hope.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Mar 2013 10:13

the wins versus saints and west ham, plus the game Vs forest makes any premiere league relegation worth it for me.
the roller coaster that is RFC will roll ever onwards. just enjoy the ride

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Mar 2013 10:42

21 total fcuking morons have voted so far.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 06 Mar 2013 10:49

If enough people vote - do we get to stay up?

Where are the options for Joy Division or Mong-div?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Mar 2013 12:00

soggy biscuit Heard a whisper that some would prefer us to go down with cheaper tickets and a more competitive division being the primary reason where as staying up would likely mean a price hike on tickets and us battling relegation again.

Those people are idiots.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 06 Mar 2013 12:13

Premier League of course. It is way over pricey but seeing "little" old Reading play in the top level against the best players in the world is amazing, even though I'd still go next season if we went down.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 Mar 2013 12:26

royal_ross Premier League of course. It is way over pricey but seeing "little" old Reading play in the top level against the best players in the world is amazing, even though I'd still go next season if we went down.

I don't believe many football fans in this country would see us as little old Reading any more. I think those days ended quite some years ago.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 06 Mar 2013 13:08

Can we play in the SPL next season?