We are down. So next season who stays and who goes?

418 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: We are down. So next season who stays and who goes?

by John Madejski's Wallet » 09 Mar 2013 22:15

Really want to keep Tabb when we go down

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 09 Mar 2013 22:22

Ian Royal
savage 4 england
Ian Royal Jelytot and woodcote should be first out the door. Followed by Karacan, McDermott, church, pog, Harte and federici. Although pog and fed just because we might get good money for them and they're on big wages.

I rate Pog, but I think we may be happy for him to just leave on a free.

You think Hammond will let a Russian international worth millions and who's on a 3 or 4 year contract leave on a free? Are you mad? The man who sold sonko for £3m!?

If as reported Pog is on £65k pw I cannot see many clubs rushing to buy him and as he has a long contract may prefer to sit tight and collect the money

jellytot

by jellytot » 09 Mar 2013 22:29

I guess we will not make any changes til the end of the season. We may eek out a few more points
But it is going to be depressing. Bottom finish.

themadstad

by themadstad » 09 Mar 2013 22:32

We are certainly going down but even if we had won today we'd still be going down. It's all the mistakes before that. Today's loss just means we are going down 20th.

We are poor and our decision making on the pitch at times is pretty woeful. Brian's tactics haven't helped, it's collectively bad.

Someone said to me that he 'felt sorry for the mugs that paid £525,' my reply they should have been here last season. It's been a hard season, especially when a team as poor as Villa have been are doing the double over us with our only goal scored by them. More of that disappointment to come and we are looking good for going without a win for the last 9.

Everything went to pot today, crowd most certainly lost their cool.
Last edited by themadstad on 09 Mar 2013 22:36, edited 3 times in total.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 09 Mar 2013 22:35

John Madejski's Wallet Really want to keep Tabb when we go down

That's a joke, right? If not, why? He offered nothing for us in the Championship, nor the Premiership.

Grab a live chicken, hold it down, cut off it's head and watch it run blindly = Tabb

That's all there is to him.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 09 Mar 2013 22:59

Ian Royal
savage 4 england
Ian Royal Jelytot and woodcote should be first out the door. Followed by Karacan, McDermott, church, pog, Harte and federici. Although pog and fed just because we might get good money for them and they're on big wages.

I rate Pog, but I think we may be happy for him to just leave on a free.

You think Hammond will let a Russian international worth millions and who's on a 3 or 4 year contract leave on a free? Are you mad? The man who sold sonko for £3m!?

I doubt anyone will pay a fee to take on his wages on a 3 year contract. Plus he's 29 and clubs will know we want rid.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Mar 2013 23:32

AirRaidSiren
John Madejski's Wallet Really want to keep Tabb when we go down

That's a joke, right? If not, why? He offered nothing for us in the Championship, nor the Premiership.

Grab a live chicken, hold it down, cut off it's head and watch it run blindly = Tabb

That's all there is to him.

Our second best midfielder this season behind Akpan. Offers more than Karacan at this level and just as much in the chump. We could do far worse.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Mar 2013 01:32

North Somerset Royal
Ian Royal
savage 4 england I rate Pog, but I think we may be happy for him to just leave on a free.

If as reported Pog is on £65k pw I cannot see many clubs rushing to buy him and as he has a long contract may prefer to sit tight and collect the money
Irony is Pog probably is good enough for the PL; it's just wasted with us as he spends every match chasing lost causes and trying to win flick ons for non-existent support.

When we have played it into his feet and given him chances on goal he has looked fine, but it's a question of whether other clubs see this. They may just see his goalscoring record.

bre

by bre » 10 Mar 2013 01:32

Would personally like to see Atkins come in now, not because I would expect him to keep us up but to give him a chance to start working with the team and evaluate what changes are required. That said I expect us to stick with Brian into next season.

Players I think will leave are:

Pog
Le Fondre
Pearce
Guthrie
Feds

Idon't think that any of the others will be good enough to attract interest from other prem clubs and can do a job for us in the Championship.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Mar 2013 01:44

With a decent start I'm confident we can do well next season (I am pissed). I can't see us being raped for our players, but I expect these to leave:

Tabb (we should keep him)
Church
Roberts
Guthrie
Pearce
McCarthy (I Would prefer we cash in on Feds)
Cummings or Gunter
Pog
Gorkks (although I'd like to keep him)

Carrico - god only knows

We'll need to s

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Mar 2013 01:52

I'm very doubtful Premier League scouts are going to be all that excited over ALF. They'll see a career lower-leaguer with some flashes of promise who enjoyed a very brief purple patch but has gone long spells starting in the side without disturbing the netting. He'll be with us next season. To be honest I think the same is probably true about Kebe.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Mar 2013 01:56

McDermott
Leigertwood
McAnuff
Pog probably will go although he's our best forward
Church
Tabb
Gunter
Cummings
Kebe
Harte
Roberts
Federici
Pearce will leave
Gorkks

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Mar 2013 01:59

Royalee McDermott
Leigertwood
McAnuff
Pog probably will go although he's our best forward
Church
Tabb
Gunter
Cummings
Kebe
Harte
Roberts
Federici
Pearce will leave
Gorkks

For a moment I thought that was the line-up for our next game.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 10 Mar 2013 02:05

If we ae lucky we will have manager who has some tactical awareness, some coaching ability and the balls to tell the board that they are not putting enough into the playkng side. Hopefully we might have one of our first choice keepers, McCleary, Lefondre, Robson-kanu and Kebe if he is not too disenchantered the rest can go.

Webster750

by Webster750 » 10 Mar 2013 02:16

Wouldn't mind something like this for next season:

GK: McCarthy / Taylor
LB: Mills / *new signing(s)*
CB: Morrison / Gorkss / Sweeney / *new signing(s)*
RB: Cummings / Gunter
LM: Obita / HRK
CM: Akpan / Karacan / D'Ath / *new signing(s)*
RM: McCleary / HRK
ST: Blackman / Hunt / Samuel / *new signing(s)*

Royal Rads

by Royal Rads » 10 Mar 2013 05:06

Reckon we will lose
Pog
Harte
Federici
Either Gunter or Cummings
Tabb ( unfortunately would love him to get a new contract tho )
Guthrie
Hunt (again another I'd like to get a new contract, decent 4 th choice and big influence to spirit in dressing room)
Roberts (looks like he's a full time pundit from now on I'm afraid)
Anderson (shame, loves the club, great keeper, shame he's in shadow of feeds n macca, any other club he'd easily be pushing for #1 shirt)

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 10 Mar 2013 06:07

I'm sorry Brian. But modern day football, I believe, requires modern day football, tactics and transfers.

He won't leave though. I can guarantee this.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 10 Mar 2013 08:22

There's only one person on this thread who has shown ANY understanding of football, management or business, and he's a oxf*rd West Ham fan. Anyone who thinks that if we're relegated we should sack someone with a proven history of getting a team promoted from the Championship, wants their head examined! Honestly, our fan base really is made up of complete oxf*rd sometimes. Haven't you all got computer games to get back to??

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 10 Mar 2013 08:32

Was thinking this in the game yesterday, we should be aiming for top championship table with the squad like I can't see many players leaving. Can't see us spending millions and mostly relying on the good bunch of youth players coming through.

GKs- McCarthy, Henly, Taylor....... Reckon Federici will go either to a mid table Prem team or go abroad. Andersson has already expressed interest to leave.
RB's- Kelly, Cummings or Gunter....... Its either Cummings or Gunter to go and will cause good competition to Kelly.
CB's- Mariappa, Morrison, Hector, Gorkss.... Pearce will go, need an extra CB in the summer to strengthen. Gorkss is a good championship CB and will be great back up for Mariappa and Morrison who I can see our two main CB's next season.
LB's... Harte...... Shorey will go. We need to strengthen this area the most, a fast young LB who Harte can offer his experience. Harte is not good enough in the Premiership but good playing in the championship.

RM's- Kebe, McCleary...... If Kebe was 3 years younger I would say a prem team would snap him up but too old. McCleary needs a run in the team we have only seen sparks this year. Will be good competition next year.
CM's- Guthire, Akpan, Karacan, D'Ath, Leigertwood, McAnuff... I think we are ok in this department, I reckon Guthire will stay like he did for Newcastle; with McDermott he will say because he will be offered loads of games but will be gone in January as more promises broken. We need a passer in the team and Guthire is that. A fight between Akpan and Leigertwood for the next CM spot, we do need a ball winner (A Yaya role) and Akpan has at least shown he can do it in the prem.
LM's- HRK, Obita, McAnuff...... HRK was brilliant yesterday and I hope McAnuff doesn't prevent him from progressing. Not getting on McAnuffs back because I thought he did ok yesterday but we need to be thinking of the future also McAnuff getting on a bit so might move to a more centre role.

ST- Le Fondre, Samuel, Blackman.... :( Very very worried, striking options we are looking very bare. Roberts, Pog and Hunt will all go. ALF won't go as other than impressing from the bench never done anything starting. Striking partnership? Le Fondre and Blackman/Samuel. We need to buy an experienced championship striker and I think we will be relying on another academy player to come through. Like Hal Robson Kanu, I do hope Samuel doesn't get prevented his chances, get him in the team and see what he can do. Blackman did alright yesterday and would be a good striker to have.

Manager, Don't really mind if McDermott stays or goes. McDermott is great Championship manager but I hope he has learned we can't rely on hope football and we actually have to play to deserve the victory 100% so we will be stronger in the prem if we go up again. We need to start keeping, passing the ball and creating loads of chances but still strong enough in the back. If McDermott goes then I hope his replacement doesn't come in like a Rodgers "looking to far in to the future", Championship is a very hard league you need to be aware for every game and from day one. Our squad is good enough for a top table championship but not sure if strong enough to go all the way.

Writing this I am actually looking forward to it. Get to go to more games for cheaper and to a few grounds I haven't been to. :)

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 10 Mar 2013 09:27

When the obit for this now certain relegation season is written it will no doubt concentrate on the astonishing lack of guile we have shown in midfield playing with three and sometimes four defensive midfielders who are notably unable to retain possession thus putting pressure on the defence who with the possible exception of Mariappa have crumbled when faced with players of a higher skill than in the championship.

The low point for me, recently, was being laughed at on Match of the Day last night for the comedy falling over of Harte and Blackman.

What irks me and probably the majority of our fans is that most of us knew in our heart of hearts before the season began that a large number of our first team squad probably, probably, would not be able to cut it in the premiership. There's no point naming names as I think without exception the effort put in by the players has been at the least adequate, and at best, honest and worthy.

But the fact remains that if most of the fans held this opinion before the season began, then the management of the club should also have known that, or at least had an inkling that the season may turn out like this.

Add to that the constant 'We move on,' 'I'm sure we'll stay up' comments when the evidence before their eyes was to the contrary, and it irks.

The extraordinary behaviour and then treatment of Guthrie, the Pearce contract saga, are two other factors which have had a destabilising influence.

But, back to the season obit, I think there was talk from the management about bringing in Premiership quality during the January transger window, sorely needed.

And we end up buying, and then playing, two league one players who, much as they may show promise, were clearly being asked to do too much in saving our season. That, for me, showed the real paucity of the management's thinking and realistic options in the transfer market.

The signing of Carrico is bizarre and please be honest with us about this one, isn't it clear that he must have an injury problem either not picked up at the medical, or if advice was given, ignored.

It must also be clear that, our shortcomings brutally exposed, that there is no room for sentiment in the Premiership. There is too much at stake financially for the club.

It is true that Brian has a track record in the championship but surely our long term aim should be to discard the League one style football we are playing. There is no reason why we can't at least make a start on that when we go down to the championship, Swansea did it, but I doubt we can do that with the present management.

418 posts