We are down. So next season who stays and who goes?

418 posts
Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: We are down. So next season who stays and who goes?

by Arnie_Pie » 10 Mar 2013 09:33

Caskeys Lovechild There's only one person on this thread who has shown ANY understanding of football, management or business, and he's a oxf*rd West Ham fan. Anyone who thinks that if we're relegated we should sack someone with a proven history of getting a team promoted from the Championship, wants their head examined! Honestly, our fan base really is made up of complete oxf*rd sometimes. Haven't you all got computer games to get back to??

I cannot agree more.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 10 Mar 2013 09:41

Lose:
Church
Tabb
Gorkks
Mccarthy
Pearce

Team for next season:

Fedders
Kelly Marriappa, Morrisson/New signing, Harte/Shorey
Kebe, Akpan, Karacan, Mcanuff
Pog, ALF

Hunt, shorey and harte will all get one year contracts. Why does everyone think we will lose shorey and harte both experienced premiership players who will be leaidng stars in any championship side.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Mar 2013 09:55

If we get a new manager in the summer and try to play some passing football, would be handy to hold onto Guthrie

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 2013/4 Championship Squad

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Mar 2013 10:00

Divvy
jimstaaa Unless i am very much mistaken we haven't actually been relegated yet? ... please correct me if i'm wrong?

You're wrong, the point just hasn't been allocated yet.

Corrected for you

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 2013/4 Championship Squad

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Mar 2013 10:26

TheSiege Who stays, who goes and who do we buy in the Summer Window? n.b. I'm aware that there is a 'who stays, who goes' thread in the team area but that simply outlines our possible skeleton squad before transfers in (and allows people to put Brian at the top of the out-list). I'm interested in RFC having a squad for promotion but also the basis of a Prem team if we go up. Others have rebuilt this way! Who must we retain and who must we buy? Remember, we bid for Gylfi in the last window, we have money and we now need to seriously use it. I have my own views on retained players but I'll let some of you speak first.

1. Brian should go now. Too many mistakes, too much reliance on workrate and effort which, while part of the game is not the be all and end all. Also still seem to be following this damn stupid policy of players for the future all the time rather than mainly building for the NOW. Of course if this is forced on him by the approach of the board then we have problems elsewhere that need sorting but I find that unlikely if we were supposed to be after Sigurdsson for £10m+ and Ince for £7m. Desperately need to see a side that can pass the ball and at least look like a team that can dominate matches on the odd occasion.

2. Manager experienced in the Premiership and FL required - tough one I know!

3. Goalkeepers: McCarthy or Feds should be the number 1 based on whichever we can retain in the summer. Personally I'd want McCarthy and would sell Feds but if it works out the other way round then that would be OK. Andersson wants to leave for 1st team football so that would be fine so keep Taylor as a number 2 or if he leaves look for a new keeper.

4. Left back: Need a new good quality Championship/Premiership left back. Offer Harte a coaching role, keep Shorey as cover

5. Right back: Keep Kelly and sell either Gunter or Cummings

6. Central Defenders: If a PL side shows an interest Pearce will leave so based on that we need two new central defenders alongside Mariappa and Morrison. Should, by some stroke of luck, Pearce remain at the club then we only need one. Either way Hector should be kept and shipped out on loan to a higher level than Division 4!

7. Midfield: To be quite honest apart from Guthrie, from what I've seen of Akpan (and supposedly Carrico) the rest can all leave as they are not of the standard required to enable survival in the Premiership. Presuming Guthrie stays then we need another midfielder and in this case it has to be an attacking option along the lines of Sigurdsson who we can mould a team around.

8. Wingers: Kebe is overrated, McAnuff is at least consistent and, I think, a squad player at PL level so would be happy to retain his services. McLeary and Robson-Kanu really do not strike me as players that will take us to the next level so again I think they should be allowed to leave so they can find their level and get regular football. Should therefore acquire another winger in the summer.

9. Strikers: Keep LeFondre and the rest can all leave (not including Blackman who we just haven't seen anything of really but may have something useful about him). Two new proven strikers therefore needed, three if Le Fondre attracts PL attention and goes. I would hope that Pogrebnyak leaves in the summer to get his wages off the list - I'm sure he'd want to for the sake of his international career anyway. If he doesn't and is still at the club then then I'm sure we'll see a much better player as I would hope he'd get service. As regards Roberts I perhaps would keep him if Pogrebnyak goes but really we should be looking for a bit more youth and a bit more by way of options.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Mar 2013 10:33

The trouble is it's a very hard balancing act arriving in the PL. Buy too many new faces and risk a team not settling? Or go for more continuity and risk being outclassed?

And then this season has made me realise. The battle is won and lost before you even win promotion. You have to be playing in a way that is suited to the PL when you win promotion; you need to have won promotion using players with an underlying confidence and composure in possession. You need players and management who understand that whilst backs to the wall counter attacking in the Championship can win it for you, you will become undone in the PL.

Once you have that, 2 or 3 quality additions will make a real difference as they will actually see the ball won't just be chasing it into the channels and closing down.

That's how to follow the Swansea and Norwich model of 2011/12; the battle for PL survival is largely won or lost based upon how to plan to get out of the Championship.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Mar 2013 10:35

Biggest mistake this club made in recent years was to sack Rodgers.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 10 Mar 2013 10:37

rhroyal The trouble is it's a very hard balancing act arriving in the PL. Buy too many new faces and risk a team not settling? Or go for more continuity and risk being outclassed?

And then this season has made me realise. The battle is won and lost before you even win promotion. You have to be playing in a way that is suited to the PL when you win promotion; you need to have won promotion using players with an underlying confidence and composure in possession. You need players and management who understand that whilst backs to the wall counter attacking in the Championship can win it for you, you will become undone in the PL.

Once you have that, 2 or 3 quality additions will make a real difference as they will actually see the ball won't just be chasing it into the channels and closing down.

That's how to follow the Swansea and Norwich model of 2011/12; the battle for PL survival is largely won or lost based upon how to plan to get out of the Championship.

This.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Mar 2013 10:53

Hopefully TSI will move on

Everton fans must be thinking themselves lucky that if this s how "businessman" AZ manages his investment a decade on just what would he have been like buying their club when he was 23?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 588046.stm

For a businessman his Wiki page seems short on details of his business successes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Zingarevich

Since they came in its began to turn to shit

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 10 Mar 2013 11:00

Barry the bird boggler Biggest mistake this club made in recent years was to sack Rodgers.

WTF

There's some real shite being bounded about but if serious this is up there!

royal67

by royal67 » 10 Mar 2013 11:01

jellytot The club needs to be decisive in the next week or so.. Or will the normal dithering be seen?

My money is on totally non-comittal dithering. As usual.......

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 10 Mar 2013 11:03

Barry the bird boggler Biggest mistake this club made in recent years was to sack Rodgers.

BM is getting more slack than he ever did for sure.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2013 11:08

SHORT AND CURLY

WTF

There's some real shite being bounded about but if serious this is up there!

Don't you know Rodgers invented football?

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 10 Mar 2013 11:11

Laughable comment. We'd be in League one somewhere if he stayed.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 10 Mar 2013 12:00

Uke Hopefully TSI will move on

Everton fans must be thinking themselves lucky that if this s how "businessman" AZ manages his investment a decade on just what would he have been like buying their club when he was 23?

For a businessman his Wiki page seems short on details of his business successes

Really? So where would the cash have come from to buy Roberts? And in case you hadn't spotted it at the time, he kick started our season which ultimately got us up.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Mar 2013 14:45

Matt, read the last sentence of Uke's post and then compare his Redingensian command of the English language in most of his other posts. This is a wind-up.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Mar 2013 14:57

In reality the way that McDermott sets the side up these present players look far below the standard required to hope of any quick return to the Premiership, clear out time !!

To Leave outed by club:-

Feds or Mcarthey to leave can't keep both, prefer Mcarthey
Gunter
Cummings
Gorkss
Ledge
Tabb
Bignall
Williams
Church
Hunt

Others
Anderson--Can't keep this talented lad as third choice and constantly loaning him out
Pearce-- who can blame him with the treatment he has received this season, good luck to him
Pog-- wont play in the Championship
Roberts--Will retire, to media work, would have liked him to be involved in some sort of coaching role
Harte--to be offered coaching role

Now the crux of the whole issue, we play absolutely shit football, bland, boring tactics, "favouratism" in team selections, pathetic reasons for leaving players out, and in reality horrendous transfer window activity the responsibility with all of these lay with Mcdermott, if he doesn't move out, again, next season we will see ourselves sitting back welcoming the opposition to have a go at us in doing so only having a paltry 35% of the ball, unless he can change the tactics and get away from this ridiculous get the ball to Jimmy and Jobi attitude we are going to struggle. Opposing teams don't need to have a ball winner in their side, hell we keep giving to them.

As was mentioned earlier on this thread the biggest mistake by a country mile was getting rid of Rodgers, we will live to regret that decision. Mcdermott has to be removed otherwise we are in trouble, the biggest indication of his failings is that it took him half a season to see that Gorkss wasn't up to the Premiership, confusing really when you consider that the back from the game threads on here constantly said he was a liability, all teams know how we play now and even in the champioship we will be caught out time and time again

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Mar 2013 15:02

Norfolk Royal When the obit for this now certain relegation season is written it will no doubt concentrate on the astonishing lack of guile we have shown in midfield playing with three and sometimes four defensive midfielders who are notably unable to retain possession thus putting pressure on the defence who with the possible exception of Mariappa have crumbled when faced with players of a higher skill than in the championship.

The low point for me, recently, was being laughed at on Match of the Day last night for the comedy falling over of Harte and Blackman.

What irks me and probably the majority of our fans is that most of us knew in our heart of hearts before the season began that a large number of our first team squad probably, probably, would not be able to cut it in the premiership. There's no point naming names as I think without exception the effort put in by the players has been at the least adequate, and at best, honest and worthy.

But the fact remains that if most of the fans held this opinion before the season began, then the management of the club should also have known that, or at least had an inkling that the season may turn out like this.

Add to that the constant 'We move on,' 'I'm sure we'll stay up' comments when the evidence before their eyes was to the contrary, and it irks.

The extraordinary behaviour and then treatment of Guthrie, the Pearce contract saga, are two other factors which have had a destabilising influence.

But, back to the season obit, I think there was talk from the management about bringing in Premiership quality during the January transger window, sorely needed.

And we end up buying, and then playing, two league one players who, much as they may show promise, were clearly being asked to do too much in saving our season. That, for me, showed the real paucity of the management's thinking and realistic options in the transfer market.

The signing of Carrico is bizarre and please be honest with us about this one, isn't it clear that he must have an injury problem either not picked up at the medical, or if advice was given, ignored.

It must also be clear that, our shortcomings brutally exposed, that there is no room for sentiment in the Premiership. There is too much at stake financially for the club.

It is true that Brian has a track record in the championship but surely our long term aim should be to discard the League one style football we are playing. There is no reason why we can't at least make a start on that when we go down to the championship, Swansea did it, but I doubt we can do that with the present management.

Agree with pretty much all of this and particularly:

"The low point for me, recently, was being laughed at on Match of the Day last night for the comedy falling over of Harte and Blackman."

They also, rightly, had a bit of a laugh at our comedy defending.

I'm hoping Anton has or will see MOTD and that he is a proud man who won't take kindly to it. Maybe then we will see some real and effective changes at the club.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Mar 2013 15:09

A question to the Hob Nob Massive about Brian. No doubt he is a good Chump manager, however if he stayed and got us promoted next year, would anyone feel confident of him having another crack at the Prem considering his very evident tactical and personnel disasters this year?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Mar 2013 15:11

CayeneMatt
Uke Hopefully TSI will move on

Really? So where would the cash have come from to buy Roberts? And in case you hadn't spotted it at the time, he kick started our season which ultimately got us up.

And since Roberts?

I don't trust them

Anton will get bored with this train set soon

Arch Matt, read the last sentence of Uke's post and then compare his Redingensian command of the English language in most of his other posts. This is a wind-up.

:lol: I know, an embarrassing apostrophe fail :oops:

I really don't trust them, look at AZ's business track record, if you can actually find one

418 posts