Mcdonut (sorry Brian) out Di Canio in......please

246 posts
Elm Park Pasty

Re: Mcdonut (sorry Brian) out Di Canio in......please

by Elm Park Pasty » 11 Mar 2013 17:05

I have trawled my way through the thread from start to finish. Can see what some people have said, seriously disagree with others. My thoughts are:

1. The personal insults towards the players and BM are not acceptable, you are what you are and you play to the best of your ability.

2. Brian has done a lot ot stabilise this club, and has been an incredible servant. What he did was incredible, but, and A BIG BUT, how long is someone allowed to keep a job because of previous reputation, how stagnant or backwards should should let a club go? The time is probably coming for a change. BM has not shown a great deal of ability to learn from what has gone on this season, mistakes being made on Saturday were made earlier in the season.

3. We need someone to feed some tactical nous, whether this be a new assistant to Brian or a new manager I don't know. Our tactics are crap and have been all season. Play two wingers and two DMs, and we get found out. So we play 2 wingers and 3 DMs. We still get passed through and now we can't pass the ball ourselves and the one up front might as well be cleaning his boots. No variation. The wingers did not work, whatever the formation you played. Where's the variation, trying something different? I know we have the sow's ear not the silk purse, but that doesn't mean you have to serve it up as jerk pork week after week. Try something different, **swear word klaxon** Guthrie and Akpan in the middle with Legs shielding the back four, and let the wingers come inside through the middle. It may not work, It may be ridiculous, BUT IT WILL BE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, AND IT WILL CATCH THE OPPOSITION OFF GUARD.

4. There are too many rumours circulating the club about player unrest for it to be nothing. I think some of the players could have handled themselves much better (Hello Danny!!!! :lol: ) but I don't think you can just blame them. Sometimes, some of this whole 'he's got a xxxx injury' scenario is just farcical, and some of the team selections seriously were eyebrow vertigo inducing!!! I can understand why some players got peeved.

5. Transfers. Appalling, enough said. Whoever you want to blame (BM did he had got who he wanted in the summer) we acquired players in Guthrie and Pog who were wholly unsuited to the way we play (those tactics worked out though huh?) or players for money who were comparatively cack (Gunter). Some of the blame MUST go to BM here. Why get a midfielder who likes to pass, and a forward who likes the ball to feet if you are going hoof??? If these players were going to be brought in the system should have been adjusted accordingly to make the most of their attributes, who knows? Passes and threaded through balls may have got more out of other players.

6. If you play open and expansive football with the players we had you would have been stuffed week in and week out. However, by trying to play a stifling counter attacking game we were still getting beaten week in week out. The manager has to find a way of making the players available into a team that could get the required points total to get to 17th place. 17TH PLACE PEOPLE. I honestly believe we could have done that if BM had not stuck his head in the sand for so long.

7. Team selection. Intertwined with tactics. Poor poor poor too many times this season. Gorkss was played far too long when it should have been Pearce, Mariappa or ideally both. Everyone saw it why didn't Brian? I don't go with the Legs or Jobi bashing but if a player is performing poorly he should be dropped. This has not happened to those two on far too many occasions this season. By continually mantaining faith in them BM has limited the tactical options open to us before games, and changes that could be done during games. This recent Pearce episode is a case in point, dropped for mistakes in a game but others play on no matter their performance.

I really don't want to knock Brian as he seems a nice and lovable chap, and sacking him would feel like kicking the cat. However, he will not resign, I am sure I saw an interview somewhere where he says he tells people never to resign. We are not Wolves. If we keep BM into next season in the current set up then I cannot see us improving at all. The formation and tactics will be the same, the only difference is we will be in games as the opposition will not be so adept at ripping us apart. I am not sure if sacking him is the answer but at this time I cannot see any other way forward.

P.S.

8. Paolo Di Canio? No no no, as someone said the other day, whichever side he joins will have a great right wing :D . OPen to the idea of Adkins.

9. The husband didn't get the Extra Special Bacon as the recent govt report said processed meat is bad for you, so he got Quorn Bacon instead. It costs just as much.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 17:10

Gorkss was played far too long when it should have been Pearce, Mariappa or ideally both

reality is there is nothing much between them all, as seen on saturday.
thats our problem

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 11 Mar 2013 17:11

Elm Park Pasty I have trawled my way through the thread from start to finish. Can see what some people have said, seriously disagree with others. My thoughts are:

1. The personal insults towards the players and BM are not acceptable, you are what you are and you play to the best of your ability.

2. Brian has done a lot ot stabilise this club, and has been an incredible servant. What he did was incredible, but, and A BIG BUT, how long is someone allowed to keep a job because of previous reputation, how stagnant or backwards should should let a club go? The time is probably coming for a change. BM has not shown a great deal of ability to learn from what has gone on this season, mistakes being made on Saturday were made earlier in the season.

3. We need someone to feed some tactical nous, whether this be a new assistant to Brian or a new manager I don't know. Our tactics are crap and have been all season. Play two wingers and two DMs, and we get found out. So we play 2 wingers and 3 DMs. We still get passed through and now we can't pass the ball ourselves and the one up front might as well be cleaning his boots. No variation. The wingers did not work, whatever the formation you played. Where's the variation, trying something different? I know we have the sow's ear not the silk purse, but that doesn't mean you have to serve it up as jerk pork week after week. Try something different, **swear word klaxon** Guthrie and Akpan in the middle with Legs shielding the back four, and let the wingers come inside through the middle. It may not work, It may be ridiculous, BUT IT WILL BE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, AND IT WILL CATCH THE OPPOSITION OFF GUARD.

4. There are too many rumours circulating the club about player unrest for it to be nothing. I think some of the players could have handled themselves much better (Hello Danny!!!! :lol: ) but I don't think you can just blame them. Sometimes, some of this whole 'he's got a xxxx injury' scenario is just farcical, and some of the team selections seriously were eyebrow vertigo inducing!!! I can understand why some players got peeved.

5. Transfers. Appalling, enough said. Whoever you want to blame (BM did he had got who he wanted in the summer) we acquired players in Guthrie and Pog who were wholly unsuited to the way we play (those tactics worked out though huh?) or players for money who were comparatively cack (Gunter). Some of the blame MUST go to BM here. Why get a midfielder who likes to pass, and a forward who likes the ball to feet if you are going hoof??? If these players were going to be brought in the system should have been adjusted accordingly to make the most of their attributes, who knows? Passes and threaded through balls may have got more out of other players.

6. If you play open and expansive football with the players we had you would have been stuffed week in and week out. However, by trying to play a stifling counter attacking game we were still getting beaten week in week out. The manager has to find a way of making the players available into a team that could get the required points total to get to 17th place. 17TH PLACE PEOPLE. I honestly believe we could have done that if BM had not stuck his head in the sand for so long.

7. Team selection. Intertwined with tactics. Poor poor poor too many times this season. Gorkss was played far too long when it should have been Pearce, Mariappa or ideally both. Everyone saw it why didn't Brian? I don't go with the Legs or Jobi bashing but if a player is performing poorly he should be dropped. This has not happened to those two on far too many occasions this season. By continually mantaining faith in them BM has limited the tactical options open to us before games, and changes that could be done during games. This recent Pearce episode is a case in point, dropped for mistakes in a game but others play on no matter their performance.

I really don't want to knock Brian as he seems a nice and lovable chap, and sacking him would feel like kicking the cat. However, he will not resign, I am sure I saw an interview somewhere where he says he tells people never to resign. We are not Wolves. If we keep BM into next season in the current set up then I cannot see us improving at all. The formation and tactics will be the same, the only difference is we will be in games as the opposition will not be so adept at ripping us apart. I am not sure if sacking him is the answer but at this time I cannot see any other way forward.

P.S.

8. Paolo Di Canio? No no no, as someone said the other day, whichever side he joins will have a great right wing :D . OPen to the idea of Adkins.

9. The husband didn't get the Extra Special Bacon as the recent govt report said processed meat is bad for you, so he got Quorn Bacon instead. It costs just as much.

Great post and says everything I've been thinking for a while.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2013 17:11

Royal Lady Don't think there's any reason to be rude to someone just because they hold differing opinions to your own Maff. Do you think it's just a coincidence that Coppell also "didn't spend all the money he was given"? Do you really think mcD would make the same mistake? I don't. I never believed Coppell had that much to spend and I don't believe McD did either. Have a nice day.

But that's because you're a oxf*rd stupid conspiracy theorest.

Coppell has said himself he had the option to make more signings and more money than he spent was available. But apparently you know better than the man himself.

McDermott has said we should have spent more in the summer. We've had independent confirmation of big bids for Ince and Sigurdsson. If you think that's lip service to the fans then I can only assume that someone has given you a oxf*rd lobotomy, either that or you've got some sort of degenerative brain disease.

And can people stop banging on about loyalty to players they've decided they don't like regardless of what happens on the pitch. Neither McDermott or Coppell were too loyal to specific players (other than that they didn't make some signings they should have done). Harper and McAnuff and Leigertwood get played because the manager thought they were the best options in their positions. We don't have better alternatives that offer the same options. Replacing them would involve inferior players, or very different players in a style the manager clearly doesn't want. That's why they play. No other reason.

The problem is management error in team selection and playing style. It's got oxf*rd all to do with some misplaced idea of loyalty a retard comes up with because they can't see past their own nose when it comes to football.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2013 17:16

melonhead
Gorkss was played far too long when it should have been Pearce, Mariappa or ideally both

reality is there is nothing much between them all, as seen on saturday.
thats our problem

There was a lot between Gorkss and the others. He was consistently terrible. Mariappa and Pearce are consistently ok, but we're still boned because our midfield is terrible and the defence still isn't quite good enough. It's quite clear that Pearce ~ Mariappa > Morrison >>> Gorkss this season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 17:19

i think he is worse.
but he was also the most experienced, and the only left footer, which is why he hung around too long in the team.
but i do think you are exagerating the gap with the number of arrows between players
imo its marriappa>pearce>morrison=gorkss

MELKSHAM HOOPS

by MELKSHAM HOOPS » 11 Mar 2013 17:57

I started this thread and I would like to put on record that im sorry for taking the mick with the "Mcdonut" name calling. It was a reaction straight after the match with Villa which was very poor.
Brian has been a great servent to our club but we need a change. Im sure everybody can see that in the way we are currently playing. Thanks Brian for the good times, but you can leave with your head held high and a great big golden goodbye cheque.
Rep of Ireland will be a good shout for you and Im sure you will be a shoe in there...
A great guy and Reading to the core..

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 18:28

Ian Royal
Royal Lady Don't think there's any reason to be rude to someone just because they hold differing opinions to your own Maff. Do you think it's just a coincidence that Coppell also "didn't spend all the money he was given"? Do you really think mcD would make the same mistake? I don't. I never believed Coppell had that much to spend and I don't believe McD did either. Have a nice day.

But that's because you're a oxf*rd stupid conspiracy theorest.

Coppell has said himself he had the option to make more signings and more money than he spent was available. But apparently you know better than the man himself.

McDermott has said we should have spent more in the summer. We've had independent confirmation of big bids for Ince and Sigurdsson. If you think that's lip service to the fans then I can only assume that someone has given you a oxf*rd lobotomy, either that or you've got some sort of degenerative brain disease.

And can people stop banging on about loyalty to players they've decided they don't like regardless of what happens on the pitch. Neither McDermott or Coppell were too loyal to specific players (other than that they didn't make some signings they should have done). Harper and McAnuff and Leigertwood get played because the manager thought they were the best options in their positions. We don't have better alternatives that offer the same options. Replacing them would involve inferior players, or very different players in a style the manager clearly doesn't want. That's why they play. No other reason.

The problem is management error in team selection and playing style. It's got oxf*rd all to do with some misplaced idea of loyalty a retard comes up with because they can't see past their own nose when it comes to football.

In actual fact, is it not the case that NEITHER of us know the truth - so having yet another childish swear at me is besides the point really. McD was here when Coppell failed to buy to keep us in Prem - I cannot believe for one minute that he would do the same, unless the truth is that he didn't have the amount of money that people seem to think was available to him. If I can make a post without swearing at someone or calling them names, I would, respectfully, suggest you try and do the same.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 18:46

melonhead i for one welcome our new fascist supporting ex swine manager

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 18:47

if there is another manager out there who is bound to leave us for west ham within two seasons its bloody paulo di canio

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Mar 2013 18:48

melonhead
melonhead i for one welcome our new fascist supporting ex swine manager

I won't. I don't want that piece of sh1t anywhere near Reading.

mouthandtrousers

by mouthandtrousers » 11 Mar 2013 20:15

Di Canio is a nasty piece of work with very distasteful fascist views and the Reading board need to understand that neither thinking supporters OR Reading residents would tolerate his consideration.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 11 Mar 2013 20:52

Elm Park Pasty I have trawled my way through the thread from start to finish. Can see what some people have said, seriously disagree with others. My thoughts are:

P.S.

Di Canio is the man get him in ASAP

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Mar 2013 20:56

This is the worst f*cking thread ever

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 11 Mar 2013 21:01

mouthandtrousers Di Canio is a nasty piece of work with very distasteful fascist views and the Reading board need to understand that neither thinking supporters OR Reading residents would tolerate his consideration.

if you don't like it don't go nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 12 Mar 2013 13:53

Di Canio will be a more exciting and passionate manager than any of the other possible managers so i would love it if he became manager

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 12 Mar 2013 14:05

Ascotexgunner This is the worst f*cking thread ever
Hi Jay

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 12 Mar 2013 14:12

joeroyal Di Canio is the man get him in ASAP

Brilliant. Lets get a self confessed fascist (you know - the beliefs which made the Nazis so great) on board. That'll help.

Make sure you've got your salute ready. The Duce will be expecting you lined up for the coach trip on Saturday, in immaculate dress.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 12 Mar 2013 17:20

Caskeys Lovechild
joeroyal Di Canio is the man get him in ASAP

Brilliant. Lets get a self confessed fascist (you know - the beliefs which made the Nazis so great) on board. That'll help.

Make sure you've got your salute ready. The Duce will be expecting you lined up for the coach trip on Saturday, in immaculate dress.

dont ox*ford yourself

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 12 Mar 2013 17:39

Where's the real evidence for him being a fascist? (a few salutes don't really count)

246 posts