BFTG villa

225 posts
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG villa

by rhroyal » 10 Mar 2013 01:41

windermere_royal The booing comes from frustration, bloody frustration that we have thrown away (again) what most of us have thrived for over the years . we all love this bloody club to bits and it hurts to the pit of my stomach how we are being embarrassed at this level. all we ever wanted was an effort from the board management and players. we are not seeing it from any of them. I guess the players can only perform to the ability they have. but it was to to McD and co to address the bleeding obvious. this nightmare of a season can`t end quickly enough for me.

The similarities with our last relegation are just are too big. We didn't learn anything from our mistakes last time, and this squad isn't even as good as that one. Not close.

Fair play to the players; they have given their all this season and can go down with their heads held high, knowing that they gave the top level their best shot. But it should not have been like this; players out of their depth playing every week as there is no alternative.

If we do bounce back up, we must add serious quality or the same will happen again, which would be unforgivable for a third time. Lets hope AZ actually has this cash that has been rumoured.

boycey

by boycey » 10 Mar 2013 03:35

Schards#2 Really, really poor effort by the fans today. Booing players and manager alike who have been performing above their ability for years and were heroes about 4 weeks ago.

Get a sense of perspective ffs, anyone with half a brain can see that the side we were able to field today would struggle to hold its own in the championship and people who have worked miracles at this club are being booed because we can't beat a team with several multi million pound players in their squad. If I was McDermott, the next good result we have, i'd tell the fans to go and fukk themselves afterwards, ditto Leigetwood.

We are losing because we are not good enough, not through any lack of effort.

Spoilt twats

True buv, true.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Mar 2013 07:51

windermere_royal all we ever wanted was an effort from the board management and players. we are not seeing it.

Players effort yesterday > fans effort yesterday

It's like an obese bloke telling a fat bloke that he is overweight.

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 10 Mar 2013 08:29

No doubting Leigertwood's influence in getting us into the PL, but how he gets picked every week in this kind of form is laughable.

Booing or no booing, we're shit anyway and going down. If people want to book, fine, we've just lost 2 six pointers at home. No surprise. Prepare for Leeds/Swindon away next season. :D

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Mar 2013 09:31

Not actually a bad peformance, you could see the players were giving everything, they just lack quality

The reaction to the subs was spot on from the fans, when i seen the team line up and tactics i knew we would lose

We have the worst team in the league and spent the smallest amount of money, so fair enough, but brian is shooting us in the foot over and over again

Ledge and Harte playing everyweek is simply embarassing. Brian has lack of options but this should have been dealt with in the transfer window

Starting to think a fresh start with new manager in the summer would be a good idea

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Mar 2013 09:36

Also

Where the oxf*rd is Carrico. is he injured or unfit??? Why has Brian not been asked this question!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 10 Mar 2013 09:40

While I agree with Schards' original post I think the frustration came with the substitutions. Akpan coming off over Leidgertwood seemed baffling. I guess the thinking the thinking behind it was that both Leidgertwood and Gurherie can pass the ball. I think it was 15 minutes too late. I wasn't impressed with Blackman and Hunt looked rightly pissed off when he was subbed. He knew we would get more chances towards the end.

Remembering the FA Cup quarter final I would argue our team that day was stronger than the one we fielded today.

Without Pog, Roberts and Kebe we look no more than a midtable Championship team at best. I can't fault the players for effort but even at a basic level we can't spray the ball round under pressure. Villa were there for the taking yesterday and I feel we could be playing them again next year in the Championship.

There's a reason McAnuff has never played in the Permiership before, why Gorkss and Leidgertwood were dropped from the QPR side when they reached the Prem. I wouldn't boo any of them but that doesn't mean they are good enough for this level of football.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 10 Mar 2013 10:01

It was an unfortunate atmosphere yesterday. Normally i would never condone the antics of the crowd, but yesterday the vast majority seemed to be the end of their tethers with this managerial regime

The sarcastic clapping of the Leigertwood substitution and the booing was more aimed at the manager than anything, as peverse as that sounds. Without wishing to sound like an American cop drama, Legs was just the collateral damage. I notice Brian came out on the radio afterwards and said he was disappointed for Legs given his loyalty to the club. Well Brian you are just as responsible for the whole situation. Selecting a technically limted player, who is totally devoid of confidence, in a side that is also devoid of confidence, when we are supposed to be trying to win matches to survive.

Let's just clarify one thing- Legs is not useless. He breaks up play well, and has a role in a 4-5-1 formation. His instructions should be to win the ball and give it to a deep lying Danny Guthrie, who has an eye for a pass. Instead Legs gets played alongside a recent recruit from League 1, offering no creativity at all in the middle of the park, whilst Guthrie sits it out on the bench. The crowd see this week in week out, with the result that their patience finally snaps, and they send a message filled with vitriol, but at least not ambiguous, to the clown orchestrating the appalling football we have seen in recent weeks.

I'm well beyond getting angry with the players- they are what they are. McAnuff is not Andrei Kanchelskis in his prime, and Noel Hunt is not Alan Shearer, but you have to work with what you've got. I often says to those around me at football; 'How are we trying to win the game'. With other teams it's obvious- Swansea, Wigan, Soton are all passing teams that try to play patient possession football. West Ham and Stoke play atrocious but highly effective long ball football and win games that way. What is the Reading strategy? I'm none the wiser this season having seen most games.

Brian mentioned in his interview with BBCRB after the game that Villa had a £10m forward in Benteke, as if that justified why they would inevitably win the game. Well if that's the attitude then please walk away. When a manager constantly harps on like that it has to affect the players, and they have a ready-made excuse after every defeat. He has lost the fans through poor tactics, bewildering starting line ups (Yesterday HRK started wide right and Jobi wide left!) and even more bewildering substitutions.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Mar 2013 10:01

McDermott is rapidly losing the fans for one reason only and that's his loyalty to certain players. Mcanuff and Leigertwood should be nowhere near that pitch second half.

I don't agree with the booing, jeering and sarcastic cheering of players or management substitutions as it helps no-one. All it will do is make McDermott more stubborn. I do believe that yesterday was a real negative turning point for our manager and he is now on a slippery slope exiting our club.

Reading FC have made an absolute pigs ear of this campaign on and off the pitch. Two players being tackled and floored by the grass perfectly sums up our season.

We are quite clearly not good enough and although still hope it's looking bleaker by the game!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Mar 2013 10:18

PS Ben Reading was that you having a small tit for tat altercation with someone in the Jazz bar before the game?

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 10 Mar 2013 11:08

How has Leigerwood shown great loyalty to this club? Baffling statement from the manager. He came to us as he was deemed not good enough at QPR, he is highly paid to do what he does? If we hadn't signed him he would have gone somewhere else. People need to get in the real world in that the vast majority of players are at a club for the same reasons that the rest of us go to work and given the chance we will go somewhere else for more money

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2013 11:19

Royal With Cheese While I agree with Schards' original post I think the frustration came with the substitutions. Akpan coming off over Leidgertwood seemed baffling. I guess the thinking the thinking behind it was that both Leidgertwood and Gurherie can pass the ball. I think it was 15 minutes too late. I wasn't impressed with Blackman and Hunt looked rightly pissed off when he was subbed. He knew we would get more chances towards the end.

Remembering the FA Cup quarter final I would argue our team that day was stronger than the one we fielded today.

Without Pog, Roberts and Kebe we look no more than a midtable Championship team at best. I can't fault the players for effort but even at a basic level we can't spray the ball round under pressure. Villa were there for the taking yesterday and I feel we could be playing them again next year in the Championship.

There's a reason McAnuff has never played in the Permiership before, why Gorkss and Leidgertwood were dropped from the QPR side when they reached the Prem. I wouldn't boo any of them but that doesn't mean they are good enough for this level of football.

Apart from the embarassing slip Blackman was fine and had quite a few nice touches. I think you'll find Noel was pi55ed off with the goal being disallowed and he was pointing at the south stand box where he was pushed by Guzan.
Last edited by sandman on 10 Mar 2013 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 10 Mar 2013 11:20

That was a shambles wasn't it?

Don't understand how we can be so poorly organised at the back.I always thought the old idiom was that you build from the back. Surely a side as poor as us could at least be well organised? That isn't a question of player talent, but time on the training pitch.

Thought HRK had a good game, and Jobi was ok. Akpan at least tries to get into the box and Blackman showed a few flashes of what sort of a player he may turn out to be for us.

I presume Alf had to be surgically removed from the centre backs pocket after the game, and none of the back 4 could hold their heads up high from that one. Legs struggled, as did Hunt. Taylor looked like what he was, a reserve keeper who is a solid enough without being great.

Saw this one coming from the moment I saw the team line up unfortunately. We only really look competitive when we pack the midfield and stifle the other teams quality. Thought McD had learned that lesson, worryingly it seems not.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 10 Mar 2013 11:25

jumpers for goalposts It was an unfortunate atmosphere yesterday. Normally i would never condone the antics of the crowd, but yesterday the vast majority seemed to be the end of their tethers with this managerial regime

The sarcastic clapping of the Leigertwood substitution and the booing was more aimed at the manager than anything, as peverse as that sounds. Without wishing to sound like an American cop drama, Legs was just the collateral damage. I notice Brian came out on the radio afterwards and said he was disappointed for Legs given his loyalty to the club. Well Brian you are just as responsible for the whole situation. Selecting a technically limted player, who is totally devoid of confidence, in a side that is also devoid of confidence, when we are supposed to be trying to win matches to survive.

Let's just clarify one thing- Legs is not useless. He breaks up play well, and has a role in a 4-5-1 formation. His instructions should be to win the ball and give it to a deep lying Danny Guthrie, who has an eye for a pass. Instead Legs gets played alongside a recent recruit from League 1, offering no creativity at all in the middle of the park, whilst Guthrie sits it out on the bench. The crowd see this week in week out, with the result that their patience finally snaps, and they send a message filled with vitriol, but at least not ambiguous, to the clown orchestrating the appalling football we have seen in recent weeks.

I'm well beyond getting angry with the players- they are what they are. McAnuff is not Andrei Kanchelskis in his prime, and Noel Hunt is not Alan Shearer, but you have to work with what you've got. I often says to those around me at football; 'How are we trying to win the game'. With other teams it's obvious- Swansea, Wigan, Soton are all passing teams that try to play patient possession football. West Ham and Stoke play atrocious but highly effective long ball football and win games that way. What is the Reading strategy? I'm none the wiser this season having seen most games.

Brian mentioned in his interview with BBCRB after the game that Villa had a £10m forward in Benteke, as if that justified why they would inevitably win the game. Well if that's the attitude then please walk away. When a manager constantly harps on like that it has to affect the players, and they have a ready-made excuse after every defeat. He has lost the fans through poor tactics, bewildering starting line ups (Yesterday HRK started wide right and Jobi wide left!) and even more bewildering substitutions.

Most definately this, top post my man.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Mar 2013 11:31

Glad to see a few posts having a go at the fans yesterday - what an absolute shower of thick pcunts you are.

Yes things weren't really coming off for Jobi yesterday but the guy never ever gives up and for all the abuse he created two goals (one disallowed). The guy captained the club to a wholly unexpected and brilliant Championship last season and he gets that in return?

And Leigertwood? The same people who chaired him off the pitch after the Forest match last year now go to games actively looking to criticise him (and Jobi). They're just waiting to leap on the first mistake either of them make. Mind blowing.

For anyone who wasn't at the game, let me tell you got rightly bollocked after the second Villa goal - Hope Akpan. Just stood around doing nothing and failed to follow the world's most obvious run which allowed them a free cross. He might be a good player in the future but he's far too raw at this level and it was fair enough to take him off the pitch.

And why is Guthrie such a saviour all of a sudden? The bloke's played better than everyone else for, oh, 45mins all season - on the occasions when he's actually bothered to turn to a game, of course. And yet you sing this guy's praises at the expense of people who played out of their skin to get us to the Prem in the first place.

Oh and Blackman - he actually played pretty well when he came on. Yes he should've done better with his header but overall his touch and movement were good. No worse than Noel Hunt.

HRK probably our MOTM but more than anything I just wanted to say that I actively dislike Reading supporters as a whole. Maybe other sets of fans are as bad but yesterday was fukking ridiculous.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 10 Mar 2013 11:32

Maguire Glad to see a few posts having a go at the fans yesterday - what an absolute shower of thick pcunts you are.

Yes things weren't really coming off for Jobi yesterday but the guy never ever gives up and for all the abuse he created two goals (one disallowed). The guy captained the club to a wholly unexpected and brilliant Championship last season and he gets that in return?

And Leigertwood? The same people who chaired him off the pitch after the Forest match last year now go to games actively looking to criticise him (and Jobi). They're just waiting to leap on the first mistake either of them make. Mind blowing.

For anyone who wasn't at the game, let me tell you got rightly bollocked after the second Villa goal - Hope Akpan. Just stood around doing nothing and failed to follow the world's most obvious run which allowed them a free cross. He might be a good player in the future but he's far too raw at this level and it was fair enough to take him off the pitch.

And why is Guthrie such a saviour all of a sudden? The bloke's played better than everyone else for, oh, 45mins all season - on the occasions when he's actually bothered to turn to a game, of course. And yet you sing this guy's praises at the expense of people who played out of their skin to get us to the Prem in the first place.

Oh and Blackman - he actually played pretty well when he came on. Yes he should've done better with his header but overall his touch and movement were good. No worse than Noel Hunt.

HRK probably our MOTM but more than anything I just wanted to say that I actively dislike Reading supporters as a whole. Maybe other sets of fans are as bad but yesterday was fukking ridiculous.

+1. Very well said.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 10 Mar 2013 11:36

Incidentally, by my calculations that's 17 games (16 if you don't include Stoke away) where we've started 442 and we've won 9 points in those games...

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Mar 2013 11:37

Maguire Glad to see a few posts having a go at the fans yesterday - what an absolute shower of thick pcunts you are.

All fair enough, except that I still think that the vast majority of the boos were aimed at McDermott, not the players.

If anyone was booing the players then they are a tit, obviously.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 10 Mar 2013 11:46

What makes me laugh is accusations of loyalty at Brian yet fans have decided McAnuff isn't a worthy captain so boo him for only setting up the two goals, and laud Guthrie for coming on and instantly giving the ball away and continuing to do so for 10 crucial minutes.

You mean apart from the bit where he stole the ball away from a Villa midfielder and set up HRK's chance which he hit just wide, something the midfield failed to do the previous 80 or so minutes. Villa's second goal came about after 90-120 seconds of simple possession moving us about because we simply didn't close them down enough, rather stood off them Harper esque allowing them the time and space to knock the ball around.

I am not saying Guthrie is the answer to our prayers, but he at least challanged them for the ball.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 10 Mar 2013 11:47

Blimey. Can't argue with any of that.

225 posts