Player of the Season - Vote Tabb

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Player of the Season - Vote Tabb

by P!ssed Off » 10 Mar 2013 02:21

Don't normally agree with dishing out awards until the whole season is wrapped up but in light of Tabb being shipped out on loan to Ipswich this week I thought this might be relevant.

Of our 29 league games so far this season, only 3 players have played more than 22: McAnuff, Leigertwood and Le Fondre. Two of these players can be ruled out for player of the season, for obvious reasons, and Le Fondre's 'Super Sub' role may dampen his chances of winning.

From the rest of our current players the only realistic candidates who have been relatively consistent this season are, in my opinion, Federici and Mariappa.

However, in light of many of us fans being deemed "fickle/plastic" etc. for criticising players for putting in no effort and having no quality, I would like to put in a good word for Jay Tabb.

At the start of the season I did not for 1 minute believe Tabb was good enough to play in the Premier League. But due to injuries, poor transfer dealings and some strange team selections Tabb managed to find himself in our first 11. In the 12 games Tabb did play for us this season he was by far the hardest working player every single match. Not only this, but he actually played quite well and when playing in each game of our 7 game losing streak his performances were often the only positive from a game.

After hearing McDermott's post match interview of how he felt so bad for Lwood after the fan's reaction to his substitution, Jay Tabb sprang to mind.
Who should Brian really feel sorry for: the player who has played 27 out of 29 games this season, with 25 of those performances being rubbish, only being met with a significant hostile fan reception after being given 27 chances to perform well?
Or should he feel sorry for the player who worked his socks off and played well in pretty much all of his 12 chances, only then to be told in an abrupt and clinical manner that he was surplus to requirements?

If, like me, you were disgusted by McDermott's treatment of Tabb and would like to show the Reading team and management that Reading fans actually do reward players for effort, or would just like to protest a sh!t season, then I encourage you to vote for Jay Tabb as Player of the Season like i will be.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

Re: Player of the Season - Vote Tabb

by southbank1871 » 10 Mar 2013 02:28

Shut the fukk up.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 10 Mar 2013 02:47

southbank1871 Shut the fukk up.

+1

Royal Rads

by Royal Rads » 10 Mar 2013 04:46

P!ssed Off If, like me, you were disgusted by McDermott's treatment of Tabb and would like to show the Reading team and management that Reading fans actually do reward players for effort, or would just like to protest a sh!t season, then I encourage you to vote for Jay Tabb as Player of the Season like i will be.

You clown, have you not followed the Tabb story at all? Brian wants him to stay, its not his treatment, he loves Tabb and thinks the world of him, its the club that's not rewarding his loyalty and effort by offering a new contract to him, the reason McDermott is sending him on loan is purely to do right by him, give him a chance to impress at another club so he's not left a free agent that no body wants in the summer

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 Mar 2013 07:40

Wahey the fcuktards are out in force this weekend! I shall be voting McAnuff as he deserves it. Shame on the lot of you so called fans.

It's been a horrid season for all concerned but get behind them for these last few games now so we can finish with a bit of pride at the very least.

There really are some negative nasty b@stards that support this club. I bet the players feel crap enough without all this immature nonsense.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Mar 2013 08:54

Agreed, they're people, and they don't deserve this abuse. Alot of this must be very hurtful. My vote will be for Mariappa.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 10 Mar 2013 09:03

For giving 200% Tabb would be a good pick, but he doesn't do anything with it. But yes I want him to stay and would do over Legsofwood.

Seriously. Well since January Akpan has been fantastic as has Kelly so even if we do go down we are going back to the Chump with a better team than what got us promoted last time! For the whole season though, ALF will get my vote

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Mar 2013 13:51

McAnuff for me.

He has played well pretty much all season.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Mar 2013 13:55

I'm voting Carrico :D

jellytot

by jellytot » 10 Mar 2013 13:58

No one has played consistantly well. ALF or Mariappa? BOOBY prize for BM's favourites jobi and Leig they get the wooden spoon.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Mar 2013 14:04

[quote="Handsome Man"]McAnuff for me.

He has played pretty poorly all season but has played more than anybody else so presumably we fans know nothing so he has to be a shoe-in to win it.
Captain Marvel.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 10 Mar 2013 14:04

This is why our squad is not good enough.

We and the manager seem to hold effort and personality over QUALITY. Yes Tabb works his as off, role model, nice guy award blah blah blah but if we want to be an established prem team in the future the club and sadly the fans need to recognise this and modernise their perception of the game.We can still do things the Reading way by not paying silly money and developing players but maybe add quality to that ethos as well.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Mar 2013 14:12

P!ssed Off
If, like me, you were disgusted by McDermott's treatment of Tabb and would like to show the Reading team and management that Reading fans actually do reward players for effort, or would just like to protest a sh!t season, then I encourage you to vote for Jay Tabb as Player of the Season like i will be.

:|

Jay Tabb has been shit this season, hence why he is out on loan.

I will be voting Jay Tabb as our WORST player of the season, although after Ian Harte.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 10 Mar 2013 14:16

I think player of the season will be difficult to decide this year - I guess this is a reasonable reflectin of why we have been struggling. I'd have said Shorey for the first half or so of the season but I don't think he's even played in the league since Christmas. Le Fondre is our top scorer but most of his impact has been off the bench. Can a super sub be a contender for overall player of the season? Pog has at times been excellent but one way or another it's perhaps not quite worked out as well as we might have hoped when we signed him. Federici has been excellent in recent months but had a very slow start - get a better return from those first two matches, and avoid the disruption of having to change goalkeeper after 3 matches, and maybe it's a slightly different season? Pearce has generally impressed when he's played - though doubt the management would approve of him getting a second successive POTS given what's happened with him this year - and I like the look of Mariappa, but then our defence has been a big part of our problems. We've actually scored more goals than a fair few teams which suggests an attacking/creative player perhaps deserves the award - but then I don't know how many standout players there are in that capacity either!

I think Le Fondre, Pearce or Mariappa for me.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Mar 2013 14:22

Reading4eva For giving 200% Tabb would be a good pick, but he doesn't do anything with it. But yes I want him to stay and would do over Legsofwood.

Seriously. Well since January Akpan has been fantastic as has Kelly

The latter is rapidly being dragged down to our level and gifted Villa the winner yesterday. I hope Martin Hicks told him after the game how you go about clearing the ball from your area!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Mar 2013 14:24

Royal Rads You clown, have you not followed the Tabb story at all? Brian wants him to stay, its not his treatment, he loves Tabb and thinks the world of him, its the club that's not rewarding his loyalty and effort by offering a new contract to him, the reason McDermott is sending him on loan is purely to do right by him, give him a chance to impress at another club so he's not left a free agent that no body wants in the summer

The key phrase that came out about Tabb in the January transfer window was that Tabb was told by McDermott that he was "surplus to requirements". This is at odds with your theory that McDermott wants him to stay. I did follow the Tabb story and listened to his BBRB interview just after he was told about being surplus; you could easily hear that Tabb was gutted and very surprised having been a relatively first team player over the preceding two months and playing decently.

If you could vote for a top 3 then i would vote for Tabb, Le Fondre and Feds. Whilst some people say McAnuff should win, I agree that he has created many chances this year and his individual performances have often been decent, despite public opinion, but as captain it is quite likely that he will lead his team to a bottom placed finish. As captain, he has to take some responsibility for the team performances, which in general have been poor.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Mar 2013 14:28

Has to be Carrico, least errors on the pitch than any of our Premiership star players.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 10 Mar 2013 14:31

Pearce or Federici. There can't be anyone else, no-one else deserves it.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 10 Mar 2013 14:36

Handsome Man McAnuff for me.

+1
Runner up Federici

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Mar 2013 15:08

Handsome Man McAnuff for me.

He has played well as a winger, but should he not also be judged on the basis that he is the captain?
If the captain plays well but the team plays poorly, is this a successful performance from the captain?
Or does the fault of McAnuff's perhaps lack of captain material lie at the feet of the manager?

Don't necessarily disagree with your point though. If McAnuff is judged solely as our winger, then he has had a decent season.