MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by tee peg » 12 Mar 2013 07:36

Very sad and the players have a lot to answer for.Time to move on though.

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 12 Mar 2013 08:07

I feel very sorry Mr Maccy-D :cry: He was very much someone you could describe as 'Reading through & through' and you can't deny all he achieved in his time at the club. But a lot like some of the players in the current squad, much as I like him & wanted him to have a chance to succeed at this level (having got the team here in the first place), it's been very evident as many have said that he's been out of his depth for quite some time as so many of his decisons (tactics, style of play, substitutions, and possible man-management of certian players) have shown. And I have to admit that I have been one of the folk venting a few frustrations at what I've seen going on at games this season!
Having said all that, I can't help raising my eyes skywards at the club's timing of this decision. If they were going to replace him then surely it should've been done months ago as apart from the small purple patch that got us briefly out of the bottom 3, things have been exremely poor for most of the season and haven't shown too many signs of improvement. I was speaking to a friend who is a Forest fan & saying our teams show 2 extremes with their dealings with managers this season; they're on their 3rd in a matter of months having spent the majority of the season in & around the play-offs where as Reading have been down the bottom & doing very poorly all season & wait until 9 or so games from the end to make a change....
I can only hope the club already have an appropriate replacement in mind and that this has been a factor in sacking the manager at this stage of things. If not, the decision could easily have 'farce' written all over it.
Oh well, good luck to Brian. He deserves to have another crack at proving he can do the business at the highest level, but probably not with Reading now. It seems amazing that it was less than a year ago he was out on the piss with the chairman in the Turtle having won promotion. How quickly things can change...

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 12 Mar 2013 08:24

Having woken up, I'm more disappointed than anything else. Of course, it's been a disastrous season, with mistakes made across all areas of the club. But aside from footballing concerns, this sacking makes us just like any other club.

One of the few things to be proud of about our club was that we had a manager who was part of the fabric of the club, who'd been with us for years, through ups and downs, and had a real bond. There are very few other clubs that have that. Bringing in someone from the outside will make us even more like every other club with an out of town identikit stadium and a revolving door of staff. Brian was, like SJM, at the heart of the club. Maybe the new manager will be able to build that, but it will take time, and who knows whether they'll be given that time. If they don't bring success immediately, and constantly, then probably not.

It feels a lot harder to love the club this morning than it did yesterday.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Mar 2013 08:26

He has done great, but let's be honest, football served up this year has been dire. The bigger shock is how long it's taken.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Mar 2013 08:28

paultheroyal He has done great, but let's be honest, football served up this year has been dire. The bigger shock is how long it's taken.

:|

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Mar 2013 08:32

The Rouge Possible Unrest at the Club
IF Madejski and Hammond did not agree with this then the calm leadership of the club may be threatened. I don't know the arrangement but I am assuming Anton, with 51% can pull rank.

Of course he can. And if Madejski and Hammond did not agree then they could and should have resigned. The leadership of the club need not be threatened. If Madejski and Hammond aren't in agreement and prepared to go this way then Anton should remove them and put a new leadership team in place. If that is the case, then maybe we will see a new 'Reading Way', not necessarily a bad thing because the current model clearly doesn't work when it gets to the PL.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 12 Mar 2013 08:33

Gibbs gone as well now. Massive change underfoot

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Mar 2013 09:04

soggy biscuit
paultheroyal He has done great, but let's be honest, football served up this year has been dire. The bigger shock is how long it's taken.

:|

I like this game :|

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 12 Mar 2013 09:04

Just read STARs statement on all this. These people are what the nazis would have called 'useful jews'

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 12 Mar 2013 09:12

Not entirely happy with this. Should've been done either before January or in the summer, to me this is a lack of respect for a guy that has done unbelievable things for our club. What's the point of now? Give him at least the chance to get us back up, thats the least he deserves.

Will always be a legend, possibly the best ever manager in my time as a fan. Will be welcomed back at Slough Town, I go along to watch them whenever Reading aren't home/playing or I can't get to away games and the fans always talk so highly of Brian. Will be interesting to hear what they think on Saturday.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 12 Mar 2013 09:15

"You're next, old man."

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 09:17

RoyalBlue
The Rouge Possible Unrest at the Club
IF Madejski and Hammond did not agree with this then the calm leadership of the club may be threatened. I don't know the arrangement but I am assuming Anton, with 51% can pull rank.

Of course he can. And if Madejski and Hammond did not agree then they could and should have resigned. The leadership of the club need not be threatened. If Madejski and Hammond aren't in agreement and prepared to go this way then Anton should remove them and put a new leadership team in place. If that is the case, then maybe we will see a new 'Reading Way', not necessarily a bad thing because the current model clearly doesn't work when it gets to the PL.

Do you resign every time you have a boss you don't like?

Or do you just get on with it while looking for a new job?

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 12 Mar 2013 09:18

I feel like I've been bum raped.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Mar 2013 09:23

sums it up very well...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ear ... 56440.html

Those fans thinking this is a good move, well, this is the beginning of the end for RFC. We've had 20 good years and we're just about to enter the football wilderness alongside Wolves, Blackburn, Sheffield Utd, etc.

I'm not wasting my hard-earned money on Zingy's little project that's for sure.

See ya suckers!

ddetisi

This could work!

by ddetisi » 12 Mar 2013 09:28

Ok so the words "brutal", "panic" and "disrespectful" are being being bounded around. I feel as sorry for Brian as the next plastic middle class supporter.

But we've seen it work in football before, so why not us?

Our season looked like an inevitable run of a further 9 losses followed by a humiliating relegation. The players were coming out onto the pitch and playing like that was ok, that's just how it is. "Brian will be here even if we get relegated so I'll still be playing" "I'm Brian's first choice"

Now!

Massive media scrutiny will be felt by the players
Change of back room staff and training methods will get them thinking and working differently
Di Canio looking the favourite will tell it like it is and shake it up
Whoever comes in, the players will have to prove they are first team players again.
First game under new manager media scrutiny x10
The players will have to perform or face losing their place in the team

I know it's not a massive insight into the process but I'm just saying yes it's sad Brian got sacked.

But it might work

What's better. Brian in the Championship or Reading in the Premiership?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: This could work!

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Mar 2013 09:30

Anyone who thins McD should not have been sacked has not watched our games recently. Also, they should remember that there is no other club in the Premier League with the possible exception of Wigan, who would have given him so much time.

MELKSHAM HOOPS

by MELKSHAM HOOPS » 12 Mar 2013 09:32

big +1 there..

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 09:33

Man Friday sums it up very well...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ear ... 56440.html

Those fans thinking this is a good move, well, this is the beginning of the end for RFC. We've had 20 good years and we're just about to enter the football wilderness alongside Wolves, Blackburn, Sheffield Utd, etc.

I'm not wasting my hard-earned money on Zingy's little project that's for sure.

See ya suckers!

You forgot to add Notts County to that list.

I'm looking forward to the return of Keith Curle

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 12 Mar 2013 09:34

People complain when Reading act like a championship club in the premier league...now the same people are complaining that Reading are acting like a premier league club.

It's football, get over it.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 12 Mar 2013 09:35

And you couldn't find a single other thread where your thoughts about the managerial situation might be relevant?

714 posts