Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
DandyRoyal

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by DandyRoyal » 19 Aug 2013 20:19

Ian Royal
RoyallyFcuked Its actually more McDermott's fault than it is Adkins fault that we threw away our lead on Saturday.

:shock: That is, quite literally, the stupidest post I've ever read on HNA.

Sadly I don't believe you

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Aug 2013 21:03

LoyalRoyalFan
sandman It was nothing to do with Brian McDermott it was down to, in large part, Zola and his team but also some poor substitutions from our current manager.

Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit.

Surely Zola couldn't have outplayed Master Adkins and his marvellous passing football that has kept us so many clean sheets....?

Yawn. How about we have a serious discussion without having to experience your 'comedy'?

Zola spanked Adkins in the second half, but no more than Adkins did Zola in the first. Hence the draw.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Aug 2013 22:01

winchester_royal
LoyalRoyalFan
sandman It was nothing to do with Brian McDermott it was down to, in large part, Zola and his team but also some poor substitutions from our current manager.

Surely Zola couldn't have outplayed Master Adkins and his marvellous passing football that has kept us so many clean sheets....?

Yawn. How about we have a serious discussion without having to experience your 'comedy'?

Zola spanked Adkins in the second half, but no more than Adkins did Zola in the first. Hence the draw.

Did you enjoy the comedy?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 19 Aug 2013 22:06

LoyalRoyalFan Sorry, you've lost me.

McDermott got us promoted through sheer resilience and being able to shut up shop.

I agree that in the championship that was the case, but it certainly wasn't in the Premier League. And the way we played last season is still hanging over the team now.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 19 Aug 2013 22:09

DandyRoyal
Ian Royal
RoyallyFcuked Its actually more McDermott's fault than it is Adkins fault that we threw away our lead on Saturday.

:shock: That is, quite literally, the stupidest post I've ever read on HNA.

Sadly I don't believe you

I agree, Ian Royal obviously doesnt read his own posts back.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 19 Aug 2013 22:30

I agree that Zola did well, he made his substitutions at the right time. But it wasn't so much that it was a brilliant tactical switch, we looked vulnerable before they made any substitutions. Their subs galvanized them but despite that Williams coming was a good switch on Adkins behalf. But as soon as the third goal went in, it was same old Reading again. Their penalty was debatable but you could see the goal coming. Admittedly, HRK and McCleary just didnt work but I think that was more down to the situation than Adkins or those players themselves. Those two subs certainly didn't make us lose our lead, they just didn't help us win.

Sorry but the players still don't know how to properly defend a lead, and that is down to one Brian McDermott and his style of management.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Aug 2013 22:39

Ian Royal
Man Friday I wasn't referring to you.

You're no genius are you? :lol:

So let me get this straight.

You say quoting winch and One8 "and you boo him??? What sort of morons are you?" But that's not directed at them.

Then you quote me after I say you must be a moron, because you've called two people morons for intending to boo Brian, when they intend no such thing and have clearly stated it, calling me a moron, because you were directing the question at those who boo Brian (the question where you call people who'd boo Brian morons, and you're calling me a moron, ergo because you think I intend to boo Brian). And I'm the moron because you didn't mean me either?

oxf*rd Nora that's convoluted. You need to really work on your use of English, because that's as plain as mud. So I'd still suggest, seeing as you're the one who is incapable of articulating their point, you're the moron. So there.

In fairness to myself, though, it's very difficult for a point to be articulated to a moron and as you're the moron I shan't bother trying any more. :lol:
By the way, I've noticed over the years how you ALWAYS like to have the last say so feel free...

(It doesn't mean you've won the argument, it just means that you've had the last word.)

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 19 Aug 2013 22:50

Watford had an exceptional 20mins and that was it!

Zola didn't outdo Adkins. Adkins shot himself in the foot by not making the changes quick enough!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Aug 2013 22:51

RoyallyFcuked I agree that in the championship that was the case, but it certainly wasn't in the Premier League.

It was certainly a problem early in the season and it was probably what lost McDermott his job, but we were over it by late December when we made all those changes against Man City. For example, we took an early lead against West Ham and hung onto it expertly. Since 1st December, we only dropped points from winning positions three times- at home to Man United, away at Spurs, and at home to Villa.

So I don't think it is fair to blame McDermott for what is currently a one-off defeat on the basis that we did it in 7 of our first 14 matches in his fourth season managing us. Don't get me wrong, 7 out of 14 is shocking (imagine us with 17 extra points... we'd be between Norwich and West Ham), but it was hardly a deeply ingrained habit that we haven't been able to shake.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Aug 2013 22:55

RoyallyFcuked Sorry but the players still don't know how to properly defend a lead, and that is down to one Brian McDermott and his style of management.

We seemed pretty decent at defending leads in the championship, and didn't get too many opportunities in the premier.

a team that sits on a two-goal is always asking for trouble, because as comfortable as it looks at 2-0/3-1, as soon as another goal is pulled back, everything changes.

Overall though, anyone who was at the game on Saturday who doesn't think bringing Adkins in was the right call, must have very different idea of what football is about to me.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 20 Aug 2013 00:00

tmesis
RoyallyFcuked Sorry but the players still don't know how to properly defend a lead, and that is down to one Brian McDermott and his style of management.

We seemed pretty decent at defending leads in the championship, and didn't get too many opportunities in the premier.

a team that sits on a two-goal is always asking for trouble, because as comfortable as it looks at 2-0/3-1, as soon as another goal is pulled back, everything changes.

Overall though, anyone who was at the game on Saturday who doesn't think bringing Adkins in was the right call, must have very different idea of what football is about to me.

I agree with that. I have never been so entertained at a Reading match, some of our play was a delight to behold. Ideally I want to see us win and be entertained - but if we are not going to win, let's at least be enterprising. We might have won the championship 2 seasons back, but was the football ever a joy?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Aug 2013 00:32

SCIAG
RoyallyFcuked I agree that in the championship that was the case, but it certainly wasn't in the Premier League.

It was certainly a problem early in the season and it was probably what lost McDermott his job, but we were over it by late December when we made all those changes against Man City. For example, we took an early lead against West Ham and hung onto it expertly. Since 1st December, we only dropped points from winning positions three times- at home to Man United, away at Spurs, and at home to Villa./quote]

How many times did we actually hold on to a lead for decent amount of time though? Just the once against West Ham wasn't it? The rest, including the win over Sunderland, were late winners when there wasn't much time to think about holding on.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Aug 2013 02:22

I think I'm starting to get my head around your in depth analysis of this complex conundrum.

We are Royally Fcuked because, everything that went wrong when McDermott was in charge was his fault and everything that goes wrong whilst Adkins is at the helm will still be McDermott's fault.

So, I'm guessing the troublesome fact that McDermott's team when last in the Championship (and I realise it's simply outrageous to compare like for like :| ) managed to hang onto leads away to all of promotion chasing Southampton, Brighton and West Ham and, having since lost the knack, this can only be his fault.

If, by the end of the month, Adkins fails to add to the one league victory since the day he arrived and/or can't catch and overtake the mighty Bounemouth, McDermott should be burnt at the stake.............................you see, I'm a quick learner :P

That's it, time to leave this land of Grade A pricks.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 20 Aug 2013 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 20 Aug 2013 02:24

Why don't you get a room with your boyfriend McDonut

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Aug 2013 04:50

He wont leave this land of pricks.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Aug 2013 07:19

Woodcote Royal

I think I'm starting to get my head around your in depth analysis of this complex conundrum.

We are Royally Fcuked because, everything that went wrong when McDermott was in charge was his fault and everything that goes wrong whilst Adkins is at the helm will still be McDermott's fault.

So, I'm guessing the troublesome fact that McDermott's team when last in the Championship (and I realise it's simply outrageous to compare like for like :| ) managed to hang onto leads away to all of promotion chasing Southampton, Brighton and West Ham and, having since lost the knack, this can only be his fault.

If, by the end of the month, Adkins fails to add to the one league victory since the day he arrived and/or can't catch and overtake the mighty Bounemouth, McDermott should be burnt at the stake.............................you see, I'm a quick learner :P

'One league victory' :?:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Aug 2013 10:33

Sorry but the players still don't know how to properly defend a lead, and that is down to one Brian McDermott and his style of management.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Aug 2013 13:30

Woodcote Royal

People might take more notice of you if you could count.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Aug 2013 14:00

Some interesting stats.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Aug 2013 14:37

Thought this fan got it spot on.

We're trying to pass the ball, and near the end I heard somebody behind me say 'get it forward' but I was thinking 'no, no, no!'

3714 posts