Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2013 20:49

When bri got the job I wanted curbs and was a bit disappointed. But I also backed him right up until sunderland when it became obvious he was making too many mistakes. I then thought hed done enough to earn the rest of the season in jan until we tossed it away against villa and wigan although I wasn't calling for his head then, just not particularly upset or surprised when he went.

Now he's gone I'm backing adkins even though I've not agreed witb evergthing he's done. and not pretending bri doesn't have to take a very large slice of the blame for last season after his poor prrformance.

How anyone can be unhappy with adkins afer the football we played against watford I have no idea.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 21 Aug 2013 20:55

LoyalRoyalFan
Woodcote Royal
Vision +1. Now I find a bit of partizan bullshit as entertaining as the rest but some of the stuff posted on this thread is beyond embarrassing.

I'm in that camp, too, but have grown increasingly pig sick of the Winchester/IR brigade defending their position by making allowances for Adkins that they never afforded to McDermott.

Spot on!

+1.

Adkins can do no wrong.

Glad you understand.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Aug 2013 20:58

So basically we've got an 83 page thread full of people adamant that they like McDermott, but don't hate Adkins, arguing with people who say the like Adkins, but don't hate McDermott?

Just as long as it's not been a waste of time or anything.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Aug 2013 20:59

Woodcote Royal
winchester_royal
Woodcote Royal I'm in that camp, too, but have grown increasingly pig sick of the Winchester/IR brigade defending their position by making allowances for Adkins that they never afforded to McDermott.

You really are a cretin. Look back over the last 3 years, particularly when McD was first appointed (to the opposition of quite a few) and see who was supporting Brian. In fact my 'location' was 'Backing Brian' for at least 2 and a half years.

I'm an RTG, I prefer to be positive about what's happening at my club, and if they choose to bring in a new manager then I'm going to support that decision. I h8 going into a football ground with a negative mindset, so I choose to support the club over any individual that passes through it.

Whilst you are not very bright and clearly lack a real life given the amount of time you spend on here.

Whatever support you once gave McDermott disappeared long before you crawled up Adkin's backside.

Yawn.

Resorting to pathetic and baseless personal attacks is always a sign of intellectual oppression so I'll take that post as a compliment. Ta.

Plus how anyone who talks about Coppell the way you do and then has the nerve the criticise anyone else for even the slightest criticism is beyond me.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Aug 2013 20:59

"I thought there pen looked dodgy and the lino was badly placed to give it. Wrongsided by the watford player. But if you go to grojnd in the box your taking your chances."

Eloquent? Articulate? I rest my case m'lud. :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:04

LoyalRoyalFan He hasn't bought a striker yet. If this was McDermott in charge he would be on the way out according to the haters on here.

The defence is leaking goals left, right and centre.

You see, you can make this shit up all you like, but it doesn't make it true.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:06

Man Friday "I thought there pen looked dodgy and the lino was badly placed to give it. Wrongsided by the watford player. But if you go to grojnd in the box your taking your chances."

Eloquent? Articulate? I rest my case m'lud. :lol:

I tend to relax my English standards when posting on a smartphone whilst walking and crossing roads. Bigger concerns.

Besides, I'm not sure where I've ever said I'm particularly articulate or eloquent. I make a bit of effort when posting at a pc sitting down. But that's about it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:08

See, this thread is only being kept alive by those bashing Nige. And yet the same people accuse anyone who tries to have a rational discussion of the relative merits of the 2 managers gets accused of being disrespectful.

Its very very odd.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Aug 2013 21:14

Ian Royal
LoyalRoyalFan He hasn't bought a striker yet. If this was McDermott in charge he would be on the way out according to the haters on here.

We conceded three on Saturday. Not making it up.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Aug 2013 21:15

winchester_royal See, this thread is only being kept alive by those bashing Nige. And yet the same people accuse anyone who tries to have a rational discussion of the relative merits of the 2 managers gets accused of being disrespectful.

Its very very odd.

The Adkins love-in must continue.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:18

You really are a fantastic example of the main why the BNP should be allowed into public debate

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Aug 2013 21:19

winchester_royal You really are a fantastic example of the main why the BNP should be allowed into public debate

Being racist?

If you can't deal with the discussion, then by all means go back to Nigel.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:22

LoyalRoyalFan
Ian Royal

We conceded three on Saturday. Not making it up.

Conceeded 5 goals in 3 games. So, yeah you kinda are. But besides that, it's the bit about making up how people you disagree with would react if the same were happening under McDermott.

I'd be fooking exstatic that he'd learnt his lesson, turned the system around, signed some top players, kept our best players, turned morale around and had us playing very well.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:23

No surprise to see that post going flying over your head there

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Aug 2013 21:27

Ian Royal
I'd be fooking exstatic that he'd learnt his lesson, turned the system around, signed some top players, kept our best players, turned morale around and had us playing very well.

I'm more than happy for Adkins to take our club to the top, but I'm also aware that the same mongs on here who turned on McDermott in a flash will continue to make excuses for every mistake that Adkins makes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Aug 2013 21:45

Hoop Blah The most ridiculous thing I've read on here recently is Woodcote laying into the manager for a bunch of pre-season performances and not far off calling for his because of them! Wind up merchant or not it beggars belief.

In which case you need to go back to school.

I've never asked for Adkin's head (and have said many times I believe we are lucky to have him given how his predecessor was treated) but with a very average pre-season and 2? league wins under his belt, so far he's done jack sh*t to show he's as good as McDermott let alone being superior.

McDermott knew the priority was to find away to win matches and his teams always over achieved across the season. He did that from the get go despite losing his best players to balance the books. Even with the best squad we've ever had in the Championship plus a whole pre-season on top of the final eight games in the top flight, Adkins still isn't close to performing that balancing act.

We all love watching pretty football but only gaining promotion by winning matches provides the finances to make this more than a pipe dream. It is by this yard stick that Adkins performance should be judged and losing a 2-0 lead and therefore 2pts, especially given the resources at his disposal, means he needs to up his game.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Aug 2013 22:39

Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah The most ridiculous thing I've read on here recently is Woodcote laying into the manager for a bunch of pre-season performances and not far off calling for his because of them! Wind up merchant or not it beggars belief.

I've never asked for Adkin's head (and have said many times I believe we are lucky to have him given how his predecessor was treated) but with a very average pre-season and 2? league wins under his belt, so far he's done jack sh*t to show he's as good as McDermott let alone being superior.

McDermott knew the priority was to find away to win matches and his teams always over achieved across the season. He did that from the get go despite losing his best players to balance the books. Even with the best squad we've ever had in the Championship plus a whole pre-season on top of the final eight games in the top flight, Adkins still isn't close to performing that balancing act.

We all love watching pretty football but only gaining promotion by winning matches provides the finances to make this more than a pipe dream. It is by this yard stick that Adkins performance should be judged and losing a 2-0 lead and therefore 2pts, especially given the resources at his disposal, means he needs to up his game.

Up his game? We've just started the season and we're unbeaten. 2 of those games against formidable opposition. Seriously wtf are you talking about? Let's at least judge him once the window shuts and we're about a dozen games in.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Aug 2013 22:42

Some of the football has been sublime in patches as well so I see no reason to criticise at this point in time. I want to be entertained and so far I have been.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Aug 2013 23:12

Woodcote Royal

It's this kind of rubbish that keeps this thread alive.

McDermott didn't always over achieve, anyone who witnessed last season should be more than aware of that.

Adkins tenure isn't a competition to see if he can prove he's better than McDermott, their spells are at the same club but with different aims and ideals to cater for. We are no longer looking to be happy gate crashers at the big boys party and willing to make do with functional and ultimately limited football. We are now building for the future after our last manager, as successful at what he did and loveable he may have been, proved he'd lost his way. At some point the damage becomes irreparable and a fresh voice and approach needs to come in. That's where we'd gotten too. The wounds of being so far out of our depth last season cut too deep and a change was needed.

That doesn't leave some bitter battle for bragging rights between Adkins and McDermott, it just leaves Reading fans lucky enough to be watching their club on the next stage of an interesting journey of progression.

As for calling for his head, I didn't say you did, but your lambasting of what he'd achieved after failing to put the two Bristol sides to the sword in meaningless friendly games was, in my opinion, just plain daft.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Aug 2013 23:23

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal

It's this kind of rubbish that keeps this thread alive.

McDermott didn't always over achieve, anyone who witnessed last season should be more than aware of that.

Adkins tenure isn't a competition to see if he can prove he's better than McDermott, their spells are at the same club but with different aims and ideals to cater for. We are no longer looking to be happy gate crashers at the big boys party and willing to make do with functional and ultimately limited football. We are now building for the future after our last manager, as successful at what he did and loveable he may have been, proved he'd lost his way. At some point the damage becomes irreparable and a fresh voice and approach needs to come in. That's where we'd gotten too. The wounds of being so far out of our depth last season cut too deep and a change was needed.

That doesn't leave some bitter battle for bragging rights between Adkins and McDermott, it just leaves Reading fans lucky enough to be watching their club on the next stage of an interesting journey of progression.

As for calling for his head, I didn't say you did, but your lambasting of what he'd achieved after failing to put the two Bristol sides to the sword in meaningless friendly games was, in my opinion, just plain daft.

Yeah ^ this

3714 posts