More words from SJM

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: John Madejski 'would have kept' Brian McDermott at Readi

by Alexander Litvinenko » 11 Apr 2013 11:28

I'd say that SJM's involvement with Reading FC doesn't have much longer to last.

He may be Chairman in name, but in reality what little power or influence he has left is declining day by day, so I expect the split may well be made official before too long - his role seems to be "ceremonial" and for old time's sake only.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Apr 2013 12:01

Alexander Litvinenko I'd say that SJM's involvement with Reading FC doesn't have much longer to last.

Looks that way, I wonder what will happen with the "life president" role?

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 11 Apr 2013 12:20

maffff
Alexander Litvinenko I'd say that SJM's involvement with Reading FC doesn't have much longer to last.

Looks that way, I wonder what will happen with the "life president" role?

He certainly seems to be saying enough to suggest he doesn't want a role at the club once he's paid off in full.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Apr 2013 12:31

I wouldn't be shocked if SJM continued to be involved with the club for years to come. I know he's done a lot for our club, but at the same time, without Reading FC, he wouldn't be where he is today.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Apr 2013 12:40

I expect Sir John might meet with a little 'accident' now, somehow.....

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 11 Apr 2013 12:59

He may be Chairman in name, but in reality what little power or influence he has left is declining day by day, so I expect the split may well be made official before too long - his role seems to be "ceremonial" and for old time's sake only.

Agreed.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Apr 2013 13:46

Ideal JM is spot on when he says a lot of fans will be more excited by the prospect of a championship title race, than a premier league "avoid derby's record low points score record"-race.

Also agree with him, McD should have been kept on. Watch Leeds get promoted next season while we stumble.

Care to have an unfriendly wager on this with a twist? If Leeds finish above us next season, I'm never able to return to these boards and the mods delete my account. If Reading finish above Leeds, you're told where you can go and never return. How about it?

Lucky Libran

by Lucky Libran » 11 Apr 2013 13:56

Royalee
Ideal Also agree with him, McD should have been kept on. Watch Leeds get promoted next season while we stumble.

Care to have an unfriendly wager on this with a twist? If Leeds finish above us next season, I'm never able to return to these boards and the mods delete my account. If Reading finish above Leeds, you're told where you can go and never return. How about it?

I'm very much in favour of this wager. In fact, I'm already figuring out the best way to print the final standings onto a Mobius Strip.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 11 Apr 2013 13:57

Royalee
Ideal JM is spot on when he says a lot of fans will be more excited by the prospect of a championship title race, than a premier league "avoid derby's record low points score record"-race.

Also agree with him, McD should have been kept on. Watch Leeds get promoted next season while we stumble.

Can we arrange is so that if both teams finish level (by which I mean finish the season in the same division) then you *both* leave?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Apr 2013 13:59

You know what will happen next season now don't you? We'll continue our excellent play off form and lose in the final to Leeds......

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Apr 2013 14:32

Barry the bird boggler You know what will happen next season now don't you? We'll continue our excellent play off form and lose in the final to Leeds......

with mcd managing them? - since when has a manager been sacked from a club to then guide another club to a famous playoff win against the club that sacked him...hmmmmm

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Apr 2013 15:06

windermere_royal His exact words

“It was not my call. I would have kept Brian McDermott, he’s a thoroughly nice chap – but Anton Zingarevich knows a lot more about football than me and he had made his mind up – but the fact is if you don’t win games you can expect to be moved on.”

OK, so he's now publically breaking ranks with the owner (according to the BBC these remarks were made at Soccerex, which he could only have been invited to by virtue of his position as Chairman at Reading FC).

One view would be that it is now time for AZ to send him on his way and flog off the naming rights for the stadium, particularly given the mess he has also got the club in (again as Chairman, despite subsequent claims that his comments were made as a private individual and not in his capacity as a PL Club Chairman!) by stating that he felt football should honour Thatcher (who was always anti-football fans) with a minute's silence.

Another view might be that it is now easy to see why we needed a new owner and change of direction, given that Madejski would have kept a manager on the basis that 'he's a thoroughly nice chap'!

Stuka It was solely an Anton move, which came out the blue, to fire Brian.

Mate of mine knows Nicky Hammond. True story.

Well thank god that we now have an owner with balls and who has seen through the Emperor's Clothes of 'The Reading Way'!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: More words from SJM

by melonhead » 11 Apr 2013 15:59

what alot of tosh. he simply saying id have kept him if it were my choice, which it isnt
its already in the press that JM and hammond begged AZ not to sack him.
no biggy whatsoever

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2013 16:13

Indeed. Breaking ranks...,pah! - balderdash and poppycock. People are so used to reading journalists and hearing radio presenters making up crap and problems where none exist that it's just become a part of their own psyche now.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Apr 2013 16:31

RoyalBlue Well thank god that we now have an owner with balls and who has seen through the Emperor's Clothes of 'The Reading Way'!

Yeah...b*llocks to the most successful era in the club's history by some distance, now we're all about this new owner who we know very little about!

Emperor's Clothes? A Roman Emperor's clothes presumably. What have they ever done for us?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Apr 2013 16:42

floyd__streete
RoyalBlue Well thank god that we now have an owner with balls and who has seen through the Emperor's Clothes of 'The Reading Way'!

Yeah...b*llocks to the most successful era in the club's history by some distance, now we're all about this new owner who we know very little about!

Emperor's Clothes? A Roman Emperor's clothes presumably. What have they ever done for us?

What success would that be at the top level then?

Major Inconvenience

by Major Inconvenience » 11 Apr 2013 16:46

Barry the bird boggler
floyd__streete

What success would that be at the top level then?

Wouldn't just one point over any of the three seasons still be more success than any other chairman has delivered in the top flight? Or aren't we happy until we've won the league?

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 11 Apr 2013 16:58

Although I agree that this is not a radical split from the owner, it is the first time he has publically admitted a difference of opinion.
SJM has been very enthusiastic about the AZ regime, possible due to his relief at not being solely responsible to thousands of fans.

But if the billions of Russian investment continues to be elusive and another £25m can't be found for SJM's 49% stake, then what happens?

Liverpool and now Blackburn have shown the problems caused by split ownership. Perhaps it would be better for him to sell as sson as possible and let Anton live or die by his actions.

I think I'd almost prefer administration to a civil war...

Anyway I'm not over reacting - SJM is keen to get out and hes been firmly behind TSI. But not once has joint ownership of a football league club ended happily...

Yet somehow I feel a bit safer knowing 49% of the club is still in safe hands. If TSI did turn out to be a nightmare scenario (and nothing so far suggests it will) and a Chainrai figure or icelandic bank (as Pompey and West Ham) got their hands on some control, then its nice to know SJM is only 2% from returning...

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 Apr 2013 17:05

Z175 Although I agree that this is not a radical split from the owner, it is the first time he has publically admitted a difference of opinion.
SJM has been very enthusiastic about the AZ regime, possible due to his relief at not being solely responsible to thousands of fans.

But if the billions of Russian investment continues to be elusive and another £25m can't be found for SJM's 49% stake, then what happens?

Liverpool and now Blackburn have shown the problems caused by split ownership. Perhaps it would be better for him to sell as sson as possible and let Anton live or die by his actions.

I think I'd almost prefer administration to a civil war...

Anyway I'm not over reacting - SJM is keen to get out and hes been firmly behind TSI. But not once has joint ownership of a football league club ended happily...

Yet somehow I feel a bit safer knowing 49% of the club is still in safe hands. If TSI did turn out to be a nightmare scenario (and nothing so far suggests it will) and a Chainrai figure or icelandic bank (as Pompey and West Ham) got their hands on some control, then its nice to know SJM is only 2% from returning...

I`m not convinced he would want to.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2013 17:12

Alexander Litvinenko
Royalee

Can we arrange is so that if both teams finish level (by which I mean finish the season in the same division) then you *both* leave?

What about, Leeds finish below us but still in the play off so Ideal goes (mass rejoicing ensues). But Leeds beat us in the Play Offs and get promoted ahead of us so Royalee goes (mass rejoicing ensues). I laugh myself to death and HNA celebrates it's happiest year ever.