Pre-season friendlies

354 posts
Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pre-season friendlies

by Stuka » 03 Jul 2013 13:02

"The Royals will look to play a friendly game around the same time as the date of this game, but it may take place behind closed doors. More details will follow in due course."

What a fantastic club we support.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 03 Jul 2013 13:03

What's wrong with that? I doubt they've got time to sell tickets any more...

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 03 Jul 2013 13:06

kwik-silva What's wrong with that? I doubt they've got time to sell tickets any more...

Yeah must be manic over there.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Jul 2013 13:27

Stuka "The Royals will look to play a friendly game around the same time as the date of this game, but it may take place behind closed doors. More details will follow in due course."

The whole point of pre-season is to get ready to play footy, not to give us something to do in the summer, so this isn't an issue surely, unless you want to have a dig at the club for nowt

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jul 2013 13:58

Stuka "The Royals will look to play a friendly game around the same time as the date of this game, but it may take place behind closed doors. More details will follow in due course."

Simple answer here. Under 21s are away to Basingstoke first team at the Camrose. Just send the first team squad instead - decent away day - two/ three thousand inside...job done!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 Jul 2013 17:55

Gutted! I was looking forward to the Wycombe game! :(

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 03 Jul 2013 18:00

Only Barnet ‏@OnlyBarnet 12m
So @ReadingFC Wycombe cancel with you on 13 July, Newcastle get greedy and cancel our stadium opening on the 13th. Give @BarnetFC a call?

This on twitter. I'd be up for that.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Jul 2013 18:02

Royal Ginger Only Barnet ‏@OnlyBarnet 12m
So @ReadingFC Wycombe cancel with you on 13 July, Newcastle get greedy and cancel our stadium opening on the 13th. Give @BarnetFC a call?

Yes please!

secks

by secks » 03 Jul 2013 18:09

maffff
Royal Ginger Only Barnet ‏@OnlyBarnet 12m

Yes please!

+1 for this

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 03 Jul 2013 19:16

That would suit me fine.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Jul 2013 19:28

Wycombe aren't refunding their fans who have already paid for the pre-season fixture against us - they're offering them the cost of the ticket towards the Aston Villa game or something. Wycombe could only just about pay their staff for last month - no one sure whether they will have enough to pay for August salaries. All this according to a Wycombe fan we know - fans are up in arms about it apparently - I wonder if they'll still be in business come the end of the season. :cry:

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 03 Jul 2013 19:57

Hopefully Wycombe will be alright. It's a good club who've come a long way in the last 15 years. The refund is a bit of a pain in the arse with having to return the ticket to get my money back. I'll cough up the petrol or postage, don't worry about that. In for Barnet if they can arrange it. The Hive looks a tidy little ground now (though I'll sit with the home fans in the one decent stand they have, just for a decent view.

philM

by philM » 04 Jul 2013 09:55

One8Seven1 The refund is a bit of a pain in the arse with having to return the ticket to get my money back.

There will a fair number who don't bother. I wonder if RFC will keep the money or pass it on to Wycombe anyway? I suspect RFC will look at it as reimbursing some of their costs of selling the tickets.

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 06 Jul 2013 19:51

Was just thinking, wouldn't the best option be to switch the game to a neutral venue( Maidenhead, Marlow etc.)
Wycombe won't make any revenue of it now so if it were at a non league ground they could split the gate money with the host plus the host getting bar, food money etc.
It would work for everyone: we get our day out, players get their work out, Wycombe at least make some money.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jul 2013 10:19

It's at Hogwood

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 08 Jul 2013 21:41

Silver Fox It's at Hogwood

See that really pisses me off. If no-one is going to make any money out of it AND no fans get to see it then it just seems that everyone loses out. If they played it at a non-league ground then they would probably still make little money but at least it would help the non-league club and the fans would get to see it. I wish they'd just think!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Jul 2013 10:11

Lovely hot donuts!

See that really pisses me off. If no-one is going to make any money out of it AND no fans get to see it then it just seems that everyone loses out.

Apart of course from the players and management of both sides who get a runout and get closer to the match fitness required for the season ahead, which is the whole point of pre-season friendlies.

Out of interest which non-league club do you think should be told to host us?

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Jul 2013 10:18

Silver Fox

Any within the M25 please

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Jul 2013 10:23

Silver Fox
Lovely hot donuts!

See that really pisses me off. If no-one is going to make any money out of it AND no fans get to see it then it just seems that everyone loses out.

Apart of course from the players and management of both sides who get a runout and get closer to the match fitness required for the season ahead, which is the whole point of pre-season friendlies.

LHD suggested above Marlow or Maidenhead - tbf I think that'd be a cracking idea, so long as the non-league club involved were happy to host the match and fans.

Reading v Wycombe @ Marlow/Maidenhead = a lot more appealing than the same game at the Madejski or at Adams Park.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 09 Jul 2013 10:35

Lovely hot donuts!

Everyone? I don't think the players will be missing out, they get the chance to get some much needed match fitness under their belts.

354 posts