What about crap games you're proud you went to

124 posts
Tad Showbiz

Re: What about crap games you're proud you went to

by Tad Showbiz » 12 Jun 2013 20:54

bcubed 2004

Rotherham 5 Reading 1 - miserable

I'd forgotten about this game. Left at 4-1 with about 10 mins to go and heard them celebrating the fifth as we walked round the outside of the ground.

Also,

1-3 v Wolves in 97/98. One of the worst although I can at least say I saw Paul Brayson score for us!!
1-2 v Macclesfield in 98/98. Had to go new ground, cr@p game and cr@p journey back on the included a change of trains at Birmingham for no reason and a less than warm welcome on our return to the Thames Valley from the TVP at Oxford.
0-2 v Bournemouth 98/99 (Leyland Daf/Sherpa Van Trophy/whatever cup). Cold and very wet. Stewards asked us to leave the terrace and go to the seats at half time due to safety reasons but we refushed. Asked us not to invade the pitch if Reading scored in the second half as they wouldn't be there to stop us....!
0-1 v Gillingham 98/99. Thursday night away game. Keith Scott scored and our team sheet from that night will show why we finished 11th in Division two that season
1-3 v Bournemouth 99/00. We were appalling that day - might have been Burns' last game in charge? Lively in the pub outside the ground just before kick off that was about it.

garry6666

by garry6666 » 12 Jun 2013 21:10

Reading 1 Halifax 0 one friday night 83/84 season rubbish like watching Twyford play Wargrave.

best game Reading 4 Grimbsy 0 john alexander 4 goals 79/80

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jun 2013 21:45

Tad Showbiz 0-1 v Gillingham 98/99. Thursday night away game. Keith Scott scored and our team sheet from that night will show why we finished 11th in Division two that season
1-3 v Bournemouth 99/00. We were appalling that day - might have been Burns' last game in charge? Lively in the pub outside the ground just before kick off that was about it.

Not sure how Keith Scott scores for us but the opposition keep a clean sheet :wink: Finished 2-1 m8, Taylor and Asaba for them, Scott for us.

Also, that Bournemouth game is on youtube somewhere I think, two own goals from us as well.

Crap games I've been to? F*cking loads. Ones that stand out:-

91/92 1-2 v Bradford City
01/02 0-2 v Fulham
95/96 0-0 v Barnsley
95/96 0-3 v Norwich City
96/97 1-4 v Birmingham City
97/98 Most of Bullivants efforts at management
98/99 Most of Burns's efforts at management

And non Reading related but it fits quite nicely here:-

09/10 L1 Stockport County 0-4 L2 Torquay Utd FA Cup 2nd Round at Macclesfield Town.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 12 Jun 2013 22:02

2011/2012.

Reading 0-1 Stevenage, worst performance and atmosphere I can remember.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 12 Jun 2013 22:22

Alexander Litvinenko
notloyalenuffroyal
Royalclapper
Same day as the Ferry capsized in Zeebrugge Harbour.

Almost another thread isn't "Games that you were at on famous dates". League cup v West Ham was 9.11. How that game went ahead that day I'll never know! Was that the "Shaka loves us more than you" game?

Away to Bury in an FA Cup replay in Jan ?1986? - the only reason I remember anything about it is that the Space Shuttle exploded whilst we we driving up there.

Remember it well,we lost 3-0,I think it was the first loss in our record season,game before v Wolves 2-2 which stopped the run.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 13 Jun 2013 10:57

The Chester away game in 91 is top of the list for me. Proud to be at such an awful game in front of just 631 people (its about 5th in the lowest league gates of all time, i dont think there has been a lower one since). The club was at such a low ebb at the time.

2nd would be the 0-0 draw v Welling in 89 and 3rd would be...the other 0-0 game v Welling

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jun 2013 11:33

Does driving all the way to Luton with a car full of mates only to find the game was cancelled fall into the catergory of crap games?

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 13 Jun 2013 11:53

Reading vs Barnsley 0-0 - The season after we went down this was the game that cost us promotion when you think about how tight it was before the Birmingham game.

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 13 Jun 2013 12:23

Only truly awful games I've been to have all been from this year, 5-7, 2-5, 0-3, truly truly awful games, haven't been a Reading fan long enough to know worse. Only been going to games for 3 years.

SpudMonkey

by SpudMonkey » 13 Jun 2013 12:49

Sheffield United 4 - 1 Reading November 1987

Proud only for the fact I went up with a Blades mate and insisted on standing in the away end while he stood on the kop. There were barely 100 of us.

We were poor that season.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jun 2013 13:41

Boxing day fixtures tend to be Dullsville. Reading v Luton town in 1994 was the worst I can remember.

Turnball ACs

by Turnball ACs » 13 Jun 2013 16:34

Plymouth away just after Christmas around when McD took over, lost 4-1. I was very angry at the end and let the players know about it. The lowest of the low, we really had hit the depths of despair, but then turned the corner after that thankfully. And Hull v Stockport, midweek game 1993/4 season. Think Stockport won 2-0. Stockport were our promotion rivals at the time, I was working in Leeds, so thought I'd pop along to see the game. Taxi driver taking me to the ground thought I was a nutter.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 Jun 2013 16:37

Tilehurstsouthbank Does driving all the way to Luton with a car full of mates only to find the game was cancelled fall into the catergory of crap games?

Not really.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 13 Jun 2013 17:24

Turnball ACs Plymouth away just after Christmas around when McD took over, lost 4-1. I was very angry at the end and let the players know about it.

I remember very little about that game, other than that it was shit and they refused to accept a £50 on the gate for two £25 tickets because, "we don' 'ave 'em darn 'eeeere".

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jun 2013 17:24

Royal With Cheese
Tilehurstsouthbank Does driving all the way to Luton with a car full of mates only to find the game was cancelled fall into the catergory of crap games?

Not really.

Just crap days then. :D

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 13 Jun 2013 17:35

How can you be proud of a crap game you went to? You don't go to game because you want the pride of seeing us get slaughtered, you go to a game dreading you will be slaughtered, like against Arsenal (thrice). You go hoping to be proved wrong. I'm not proud of any thrashing a I've seen, I'm ashamed to have witnessed such an appalling display from my club.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 13 Jun 2013 17:37

CrispyRoyal How can you be proud of a crap game you went to? You don't go to game because you want the pride of seeing us get slaughtered, you go to a game dreading you will be slaughtered, like against Arsenal (thrice). You go hoping to be proved wrong. I'm not proud of any thrashing a I've seen, I'm ashamed to have witnessed such an appalling display from my club.

I think the point is more about pride in attending a game that you knew was going to be crap, but attended to support the team regardless of this.

Hence the :| at the Arsenal fixtures and the recognition of cold rainy nights in far flung places when Reading were truly doing shit.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Jun 2013 17:43

Swansea vs Reading - sometime in the 90s, atrocious weather. Only a few of us made it to witness a Hartenburger equaliser.

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 13 Jun 2013 17:45

Winchester Royal
CrispyRoyal How can you be proud of a crap game you went to? You don't go to game because you want the pride of seeing us get slaughtered, you go to a game dreading you will be slaughtered, like against Arsenal (thrice). You go hoping to be proved wrong. I'm not proud of any thrashing a I've seen, I'm ashamed to have witnessed such an appalling display from my club.

I think the point is more about pride in attending a game that you knew was going to be crap, but attended to support the team regardless of this.

Hence the :| at the Arsenal fixtures and the recognition of cold rainy nights in far flung places when Reading were truly doing shit.

True, that wet Monday night in December was truly awful. Seeing my beloved club that had always looked competitive and able to fight in the past just made to look like amateurs like that. That is football. You enjoy the good days together, and endure the pain together. Still not so sure about the pride element though, surely you support the team and go to go games no matter what? I don't go to a game I know we are going to be hammered in out of pride, I go to support my team. Anyone who does so out of personal pride is a bit fickle IMO.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 13 Jun 2013 17:52

CrispyRoyal
Winchester Royal

True, that wet Monday night in December was truly awful. Seeing my beloved club that had always looked competitive and able to fight in the past just made to look like amateurs like that. That is football. You enjoy the good days together, and endure the pain together. Still not so sure about the pride element though, surely you support the team and go to go games no matter what? I don't go to a game I know we are going to be hammered in out of pride, I go to support my team. Anyone who does so out of personal pride is a bit fickle IMO.

Is a crap game = a game which Reading were beaten comprehensively in?

I've been to some crap games with no skill or entertainment on show, from which we've come away with the points...

124 posts