5%
Only if a freebie or bargain presents itself
12%

Total votes: 228
Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do we really need another striker?

by Cureton's Volley » 14 Aug 2013 22:23

Seems like the consensus is Alf on his own can't cut it, and there is a fair few who doubt his ability in a pair. With Pog not firing, Blackman unproven, Roberts unfit surely a striker is on the menu before the window closes. Or, do we consolidate, build, blood some youngsters and roll with the punches?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2013 23:26

Hoop Blah Even when we've been playing 2 upfront Le Fondre has failed to make one of those positions his own.

I maintain he's not had an opportunity yet when we've had a side that's actually been providing decent service, with a decent partner and competing on an even vaguely level playing field.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2013 12:25

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah Even when we've been playing 2 upfront Le Fondre has failed to make one of those positions his own.

I maintain he's not had an opportunity yet when we've had a side that's actually been providing decent service, with a decent partner and competing on an even vaguely level playing field.

It's a chicken and egg situation for me. A forwards movement and ability to make the most of the possession he gets contributes a lot to the service they get. Similarily a good forward, especially one adept at playing up front on their own like Forster and (for that exceptional six months once he'd learnt how to play it at least) Long, makes bad balls look good and turns poor service into good.

Someone like Kitson made the midfields job easy. Someone like Le Fondre or Cureton need it served on a plate for them a lot more.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Aug 2013 12:49

Ian Royal

Pay attention m8 - we've been playing a lone striker this season under our gr8 new manager.

We still need a new striker - have we got one yet?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2013 12:51

floyd__streete
Ian Royal

Pay attention m8 - we've been playing a lone striker this season under our gr8 new manager.

We still need a new striker - have we got one yet?

Well aware of that thanks floyde.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 19 Aug 2013 15:27

Reading boss Nigel Adkins says he is working hard to add to his squad ahead of the close of the transfer window. "There's going to be lots of speculation, every manager wants to strengthen their group," he said. "There's two and a bit weeks until the window, we scored three and if we hadn't scored three people would be asking more questions about strikers. We're working hard behind the scenes." - Sky Sports.

The fact that he's mentioning the strikers must mean that he's fairly confident of signing new faces.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 19 Aug 2013 15:57

Adkins seems to casually avoid the fact that two of the goals were scored by a player who is now done for the season on that front.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2013 15:59

Norfolk Royal Adkins seems to casually avoid the fact that two of the goals were scored by a player who is now done for the season on that front.

Three in three from the strikers ain't bad though. Especially from someone who's out of his depth and someone else who isn't up to starting.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Aug 2013 16:01

Norfolk Royal Adkins seems to casually avoid the fact that two of the goals were scored by a player who is now done for the season on that front.

Not quite sure why that matters..

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 19 Aug 2013 16:32

As I said on another thread I have it on good authority from the mouth of Mr Samuelson that we are looking specifically at a striker but no name forthcoming.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Aug 2013 16:37

Dave the rave As I said on another thread I have it on good authority from the mouth of Mr Samuelson that we are looking specifically at a striker but no name forthcoming.

I heard we are in for Zlatan "The Swedish Meatball" Ibrahimovich as PSG crumble financially. Have to get Roberts of the wage book to sign him first.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Aug 2013 16:42

Dave the rave As I said on another thread I have it on good authority from the mouth of Mr Samuelson that we are looking specifically at a striker but no name forthcoming.

Striker Joseph Akpala from Werder Bremen is training with Reading this week....

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2013 16:47

NewCorkSeth

I heard we are in for Zlatan "The Swedish Meatball" Ibrahimovich as PSG crumble financially. Have to get Roberts of the wage book to sign him first.

I think you actually mean Ebrahim "Ibouhimovich" Savaneh.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 19 Aug 2013 19:00

Tbh, I would prefer us to not spend any money on a striker. We have Roberts coming back from injury who tore the championship up last time, Pog actually hasn't left yet and we have 2 youth players performing extremely well in the u21's. Plus ALF! And Blackman. So much competition for one position as striker. Preferably I would give Ugwu a chance and/or see if Roberts or ALF are performing and if the strikers are doing shit then dip into the market in January. Pointless wasting money when we could potentially have the players we need already.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Aug 2013 19:47

MADreadingfan just about sums it up!

Roberts coming back is a long way off yet, and when he comes back the probability is that he's not going to up to football at this level.

As for competing for 1 place up front, did you not notice we played with two forwards, plus Drenthe, on Saturday.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 19 Aug 2013 19:58

I'd be happy now even with an RFC sytle transfer of a potentially good League One or Two player. Someone like Nakhi Wells from Bradford.

As long as Pog is shown the door and we bring someone half decent in I will be pleased.

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 19 Aug 2013 19:59

Hoop Blah MADreadingfan just about sums it up!

Roberts coming back is a long way off yet, and when he comes back the probability is that he's not going to up to football at this level.

As for competing for 1 place up front, did you not notice we played with two forwards, plus Drenthe, on Saturday.

I wanted to ask about this but was too intimidated by all the big boys on the the other thread. How exactly did we line up on sat? Was it a 451 or a 442? Which side was Blackman on?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2013 20:04

thirtyyarder

I wanted to ask about this but was too intimidated by all the big boys on the the other thread. How exactly did we line up on sat? Was it a 451 or a 442? Which side was Blackman on?

Looked pretty fluid to me with the forward players playing fairly loose positions, Drenthe usually a bit deeper and ALF and Blackman drifting out wide as necessary. A sort of 4-3-1-2 maybe.

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 19 Aug 2013 20:18

Ian Royal
thirtyyarder

Looked pretty fluid to me with the forward players playing fairly loose positions, Drenthe usually a bit deeper and ALF and Blackman drifting out wide as necessary. A sort of 4-3-1-2 maybe.

Cheers

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Aug 2013 20:35

thirtyyarder

His critics might claim Watford's! :wink:

313 posts