5%
Only if a freebie or bargain presents itself
12%

Total votes: 228
Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do we really need another striker?

by Cureton's Volley » 05 Aug 2013 22:01

Perhaps they expected more players to leave, so now 7 signings this window are no longer required. There is always January of course...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Aug 2013 22:02

Ah so that's going to be the excuse. Good to know.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2013 22:53

sandman Ah so that's going to be the excuse. Good to know.

Hardly an excuse. We have a huge squad, so we can't just keep on signing more players. At some point some have to leave but for that to happen other clubs have to want them.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Aug 2013 08:16

sandman Ah so that's going to be the excuse. Good to know.

You don't really understand the concept of FFP, do you bud :?:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 06 Aug 2013 10:42

In this regard perhaps we could do with Pog getting some game time, hopefully building some form and confidence, and putting himself in the window whereby either we want him to stay, or other clubs are interested in him. All of this is based on the assumption that he (or any other lone striker) is able to build confidence in that role, which is obviously going to be very difficult. The majority of our opposition will be happy to spoil and catch us on the break or at set pieces, and the poor guy left up top has to deal with being isolated and double marked.

teignmouth hoops

Whats the plan Stan (or Nigel)

by teignmouth hoops » 12 Aug 2013 10:28

The end of the transfer window is fast approaching, and most people on here seem to think we have a good defence & midfield, but the forward line needs strengthening. With the news that Jason Roberts is possibly only 3 weeks away from fitness, how many forwards should we be going for. Alfie is good in support role but needs someone to play off, Blackman very raw but could be good, Pog seems not to be in Nigels plans but he's our biggest wage earner so if he not playing we need to unload, I feel we need two strikers, one an experienced proven scorer, and a fast skillful unproven youngster to bring on, probably on loan from a prem side.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Whats the plan Stan (or Nigel)

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2013 10:31

1 forward please.

If Charlie Austin isn't a cripple, I'd like Charlie Austin.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 12 Aug 2013 10:33

Offload Pog to who?

If we don't, and we bring in two more like you suggest, we then have six strikers when we're playing one up top.

The most likely situation is that we bring nobody in, or one striker leaves and one comes in.

Whilst it is probably our weakest position at the moment, it's very difficult to find the right player who can operate alone in this system.

G'La

by G'La » 12 Aug 2013 10:36

Sanguine 1 forward please.

Signed for QPR a couple of weeks back.

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 12 Aug 2013 10:43

if we play blackman up front on his own in away games, we're screwed

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 10:49

Harrydog if we play blackman up front on his own in away games, we're screwed

The only way that could work would be if his only job was to win the ball and hold it up for the midfield - he did that OK in the second half on Saturday.

But it's not ideal, and it would require not only the midfielders to get forward quicker but for them to score goals. But not sure any of the are the type of player who'd thrive on crosses into the box.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2013 10:54

G'La
Sanguine 1 forward please.

Signed for QPR a couple of weeks back.

Oh. I thought that fell through for some reason.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 10:55

Tokyo Sex Whale 4 4 oxf*rding 2

We have the quality on the wings and strength in the middle to both attack and defend with 4 in midfield and 2 up front.

We're better than the vast majority of teams int he division and should take it to them.

I would even be interested to see a 3-5-2(ish).

Attack is the best form of defence.

Depend what the objective is. If the objective is to win the league, I agree we should play 4-4-2.

If the objective is to build a team that can win the league and then stay in the PL without starting again from scratch then we need to start now with a system that'll still work there.

Because the last manager who tried with a promoted team playing 4-4-2 in the PL didn't last very long .....

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 12 Aug 2013 11:06

Tokyo Sex Whale I'd rather win the champ in a blaze of glory and have a relegation battle than become a team who sit in the PL finishing 14th every season - that's hideously boring.

But, I am shortsighted.

if we go up, I would take anything than getting d*cked week in week out by poor prem teams like we did last season

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 12 Aug 2013 11:07

Tokyo Sex Whale I'd rather win the champ in a blaze of glory and have a relegation battle than become a team who sit in the PL finishing 14th every season - that's hideously boring.

But, I am shortsighted.

I'm with you. Being a Yo-Yo club is way more exciting than being Stoke.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 12 Aug 2013 11:09

Cureton's Volley

But, I am shortsighted.

With one exception...

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 12 Aug 2013 11:41

Cureton's Volley

But, I am shortsighted.

Agreed yo-yo club is more exciting. But if we ever want to win a domestic trophy and avoid being called "tinpot", we have to bit the bullet and be boring like stoke for a couple seasons.

They did have a dabble in Europe which is exciting.

I'm sure Swansea have loved every minute of being in the PL.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 12 Aug 2013 12:09

Royal91
Cureton's Volley

But, I am shortsighted.

Agreed yo-yo club is more exciting. But if we ever want to win a domestic trophy and avoid being called "tinpot", we have to bit the bullet and be boring like stoke for a couple seasons.

They did have a dabble in Europe which is exciting.

I'm sure Swansea have loved every minute of being in the PL.

Even if their opinions counted for shít, Simod Cup = Domestic trophy, so 'tinpot' cock ends can knock themselves out.

Europe - Sounds great, but Millwall got there once playing 442. Unless we are as lucky as they were that year with circumstances, we need to get promoted before we can qualify.

I'm sure Swansea have enjoyed it, but the point remains that they have a number of players who can play in the lone striker role. We don't. Our best chance right now is to play two up top otherwise we are simply going to fail to score enough goals.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 12:11

Cureton's Volley I'm sure Swansea have enjoyed it, but the point remains that they have a number of players who can play in the lone striker role. We don't. Our best chance right now is to play two up top otherwise we are simply going to fail to score enough goals.

Or we could find the right player to play up front, and then we'd not only do well but we'd be set-up to prosper after promotion.

If only Nicky Forster was 15 years younger ......

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 12 Aug 2013 12:36

Alexander Litvinenko
Cureton's Volley I'm sure Swansea have enjoyed it, but the point remains that they have a number of players who can play in the lone striker role. We don't. Our best chance right now is to play two up top otherwise we are simply going to fail to score enough goals.

Or we could find the right player to play up front, and then we'd not only do well but we'd be set-up to prosper after promotion.

If only Nicky Forster was 15 years younger ......

Indeed. Fozzy would be awesome! :D

313 posts