82%
No, our squad looks fine
5%
Only if a freebie or bargain presents itself
12%

Total votes: 228
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Do we really need another striker?

by winchester_royal » 25 Aug 2013 21:33

RoyalBlue
winchester_royal FTR, it seems that most have forgotten the fact that we haven't actually sold anyone yet this summer, unlike the 'big spending' QPR and Wigan, therefore our net spend is probably one of the highest in the league.

Might have been more sensible to have sold one or two, in order to rebalance the squad! What's more, we did release two strikers who were more proven for us than McDermott's star January buy - Blackman!

Agreed, but there may not have been the demand there for the players we might have considered selling, e.g. Pog.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2013 23:28

For ten years people have been moaning "where has the money gone?". For ten years they've been repeatedly told and shown, but it makes no difference. They're either too stupid, or too willfully ignorant to take any notice.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Aug 2013 09:55

One8Seven1
RoyalBlue
winchester_royal FTR, it seems that most have forgotten the fact that we haven't actually sold anyone yet this summer, unlike the 'big spending' QPR and Wigan, therefore our net spend is probably one of the highest in the league.

Might have been more sensible to have sold one or two, in order to rebalance the squad! What's more, we did release two strikers who were more proven for us than McDermott's star January buy - Blackman!

We didn't release Church or Hunt, they turned down new contracts and chose to leave. Hunt was offered a one year deal, and Church was told to sign a new deal before the January transfer window or we would sell him.

Semantics. The club decided that they didn't want to keep either of them. How often will a player sign up for a one year deal when they know that plenty of other clubs will give them better? Could have kept Hunt with a better offer.

Ian Royal For ten years people have been moaning "where has the money gone?". For ten years they've been repeatedly told and shown, but it makes no difference. They're either too stupid, or too willfully ignorant to take any notice.

Suggesting that the club need to be prepared to compete more in the financial stakes if they want to stand more chance of competing at the highest levels in the league is different from asking where the money has gone.

As for those (not you) who say that the club are right not to pay above the market rate for players - that's not the issue. The issue is that the club seems so reluctant to pay the market rates (always seem to think they can undercut). The market rate is what someone can sell a product at i.e. what other clubs are prepared to pay for players!

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Aug 2013 11:45

I think signing a decent striker this week could be the difference of a potential play off spot and automatic promotion

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2013 11:50

LoyalRoyal22 I think signing a decent striker this week could be the difference of a potential play off spot and automatic promotion

Stunning insight. I await your next pearl of wisdom with bated breath.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Aug 2013 11:52

Platypuss
LoyalRoyal22 I think signing a decent striker this week could be the difference of a potential play off spot and automatic promotion

Stunning insight. I await your next pearl of wisdom with bated breath.

Stay tuned

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Aug 2013 12:04

I feel a new forward will help us with our possession game, and help us to create more chances.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 26 Aug 2013 14:57

I feel a new forward will set a fire under the players and make them hungry again.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 26 Aug 2013 15:21

Ugwu scores another couple for the U21's.. He's big, powerful, got pace, and one hell of a shot on him. He would certainly be no worse than Blackman. There's a case to argue his inclusion.

I was hoping he would play against P'Boro tomorrow but having played today that seems very unlikely.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Aug 2013 14:02

RoyalBlue The issue is that the club seems so reluctant to pay the market rates (always seem to think they can undercut). The market rate is what someone can sell a product at i.e. what other clubs are prepared to pay for players!

On what basis are we not prepared to pay the market rate?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2013 17:11

BUMP :!:

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 21 Sep 2013 17:15

Sharp would do nicely now Thank You

One8Seven1