Promoting from within.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Promoting from within.

by windermere_royal » 08 Aug 2013 18:23

Just reading the article about NAs reluctance to bring in loan signings http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... to-reading. talking about making do with what we have and promoting from the youngster pool we have now.
To even be talking about loans indicates to me that our summer business for this year is done.
It`s no bad thing to bring the kids through, do we have anything yet that is ready to make the big jump to CC football?

One8Seven1

Re: Promoting from within.

by One8Seven1 » 08 Aug 2013 18:29

Reluctant unless it's a top draw player, which is fair enough when you're expecting to be pushing for promotion to the Premier League. The likes of Obita, Samuel and Taylor are all knocking on the door and deserve their chance.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Aug 2013 18:34

When I read that article I didnt think it meant "all done on the transfer front" I just thought he was asked if he would want to sign someone on loan and he said no we have enough quality here in the youth ranks to fill in positions..

In fact I think it signifies the strength of our youth players that he has faith in them to step up in case of injury or form depletion.. I think when he says no need for loans he means rather then borrowing another clubs quality he would rather add permanently as we are pushing for premier league football

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Aug 2013 18:39

He will buy or loan what he deems top quality player.

Fair enough

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Aug 2013 18:54

No point in spending loads, and putting lots of emphasis, on having a fantastic academy if you're not going to give them a chance. Would much rather see us bring Samuel through than go for an Afobe-type signing again.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 08 Aug 2013 19:41

winchester_royal No point in spending loads, and putting lots of emphasis, on having a fantastic academy if you're not going to give them a chance. Would much rather see us bring Samuel through than go for an Afobe-type signing again.

Agreed on that, and I suspect Anton has said pretty much the same thing to Adkins as well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Aug 2013 20:13

I think Samuel and Obita are the closest, though in Obita's case that's only really because of fitness issues. Taylor and Tanner could be in with shots of playing behind the striker if we want to play 4-2-3-1 but don't have options there (if Drenthe and McAnuff get injured, for example). If Gorkss goes (or Mariappa), then Matt Partridge and Jake Cooper will probably be on the bench in the event of an injury to a centre back.

The one loan I'd quite like to see is something in the mould of Dean Gordon or Dan Harding, an established left back to act as back up to Bridge. I don't think Shane Griffin or George McLennan (McClennan?) are ready yet.

friday fan

by friday fan » 08 Aug 2013 20:15

it still smacks of Sir John's philosophy, we need a good striker and spend to succeed. We have parachute payments and could do with some experience and flair to be honest. Will we go through the season saving the parachute payments, I believe so as nothing has changed has it? To be honest I'm sick of Reading FC doing things on the cheap, reaping in transfer fees (not yet this time so far), season tickets sales and merchandise. Every club needs a star player and from the 3 we've got so far they don't fit the bill. We should have been hammering Bristol City then Rovers and at least had a closer game against Swansea. I'm not a doom and gloom merchant but in reality when the window closes all we have to look forward to is the inflated transfers in the January window. probably going to get slated for this comment but its more of the same ie freebies and youth promotion, I look forward to the day when we might, just might, spend some decent money and shock the world with signing someone exceptional to show real intent.

RedRum

by RedRum » 08 Aug 2013 20:19

friday fan it still smacks of Sir John's philosophy, we need a good striker and spend to succeed. We have parachute payments and could do with some experience and flair to be honest. Will we go through the season saving the parachute payments, I believe so as nothing has changed has it? To be honest I'm sick of Reading FC doing things on the cheap, reaping in transfer fees (not yet this time so far), season tickets sales and merchandise. Every club needs a star player and from the 3 we've got so far they don't fit the bill. We should have been hammering Bristol City then Rovers and at least had a closer game against Swansea. I'm not a doom and gloom merchant but in reality when the window closes all we have to look forward to is the inflated transfers in the January window. probably going to get slated for this comment but its more of the same ie freebies and youth promotion, I look forward to the day when we might, just might, spend some decent money and shock the world with signing someone exceptional to show real intent.

:shock: :|

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Aug 2013 20:31

I was thinking more :roll:

And a big oxf*rd LOL at Reading shocking the world on any transfer. What sort of signing do you think would shock the world? I would say we were pretty anonymous on the world scale, so if you are looking for that type of signing, go and support someone else because we aren't going to be anywhere near that for at least 5-7 years.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 08 Aug 2013 20:32

RedRum
friday fan it still smacks of Sir John's philosophy, we need a good striker and spend to succeed. We have parachute payments and could do with some experience and flair to be honest. Will we go through the season saving the parachute payments, I believe so as nothing has changed has it? To be honest I'm sick of Reading FC doing things on the cheap, reaping in transfer fees (not yet this time so far), season tickets sales and merchandise. Every club needs a star player and from the 3 we've got so far they don't fit the bill. We should have been hammering Bristol City then Rovers and at least had a closer game against Swansea. I'm not a doom and gloom merchant but in reality when the window closes all we have to look forward to is the inflated transfers in the January window. probably going to get slated for this comment but its more of the same ie freebies and youth promotion, I look forward to the day when we might, just might, spend some decent money and shock the world with signing someone exceptional to show real intent.

:shock: :|

Basic no-information article. Put simply:

Media: Hey Nigel, would you be interested getting-in David Villa on loan on the cheap?
NA: Yes

Media: Hey Nigel, would you be interested getting-in Luke Moore on loan?
NA: err...no.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Aug 2013 20:43

Friday fan = cock end

friday fan

by friday fan » 08 Aug 2013 20:50

Royal Rother - I have supported this club since 1965 and on this site are we not entitled to our views? I don't take insults lightly, wanna make something of this cause I will. My point of view and you have yours. I see this site hasn't changed much with kiddies insulting people at will. Mods where are they??? Site is bullshit, perhaps I'll come back when there are real adults here and abuse is outlawed!!!!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Aug 2013 21:15

Everyone is entitled to their views, but sometimes when views are quite unrealistic, this needs to be pointed out.

Oh and I enjoy how everyone one on the defensive goes,"I've supported the club before it was even founded so I know more than you"

l0y4l R0y4l
Location: Be Proud, Be Loud, Back The Boys and Make Some Noise.

by l0y4l R0y4l » 08 Aug 2013 21:50

No the philosophy hasn't changed since the Madejski days in my opinion too.

Neither has this forum changed, as you can tell I average under two posts a year. I have seen the decline as an observer, I just check newsnow.com whenever I want to know something about the club. I loathe to spend my hours on here reading utter sh*te.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Aug 2013 21:51

Why post and come back then? If I loathe something I tend to stay pretty clear of it, cheese for example.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Aug 2013 22:51

I do find it amusing that some people think the fact that we have maintained some / all of the Madejski philosophy is a bad thing.

Priceless.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Aug 2013 22:59

Given what's been achieved in the last 10 years, you'd like to think that someone who has supposedly supported the club for nearly 50 years might have developed a sense of perspective in that time

Did they have Championship Manager in 1965?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 09 Aug 2013 01:10

So far we've hung onto HRK, Kebe, Guthrie, ALF and McCarthy, our most valuable assets, and we've brought in Bridge on wages which are better than what QPR were offering, and a former Real Madrid player. This is certainly not the Madejski way, some of our fans are such mongs.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 09 Aug 2013 07:27

Cock end gate. HoF this thread now.