Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2021 12:17

South Coast Royal
Sutekh
RoyalBlue
If they were, it wasn't until they got relegated back to the EFL. Also, I think at least part of their 'punishment' was that a loan had to be written off, which would seem to have helped them out rather than punished them.

Presume Bournemouth overspent to get themselves promoted? Presuming so, how much were they fined on relegation?

See an earlier post that might have been in the Rivals thread or earlier here.
Despite doubting Royal Blue, they were fined and I have a figure of £12 million in my head but it could well have been £9 million.

I have reminded some Bournemouth fans from time to time that they cheated their way to promotion with dirty Russian money (at the same time a bit envious because our Russian didn't have any money, clean or dirty).

I take it back. You were correct. Part of the Fakies' 'settlement' was a fine which was actually higher than you said at £17M. However, what stuck in my mind was the ludicrous 'punishment' whereby the shareholders actually had to write off loans worth £22M. By my understanding that would actually improve the club's finances by £22M and significantly reduce the risk of them falling foul of FFP again. Added to that they had the financial benefit of promotion to the PL and subsequent parachute payments. Oh, and they were allowed to pay the financial penalties over 10 years! So cheats very clearly do prosper!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Feb 2021 12:25

RoyalBlue
South Coast Royal
Sutekh
Presume Bournemouth overspent to get themselves promoted? Presuming so, how much were they fined on relegation?

Despite doubting Royal Blue, they were fined and I have a figure of £12 million in my head but it could well have been £9 million.

I have reminded some Bournemouth fans from time to time that they cheated their way to promotion with dirty Russian money (at the same time a bit envious because our Russian didn't have any money, clean or dirty).

I take it back. You were correct. Part of the Fakies' 'settlement' was a fine which was actually higher than you said at £17M. However, what stuck in my mind was the ludicrous 'punishment' whereby the shareholders actually had to write off loans worth £22M. By my understanding that would actually improve the club's finances by £22M and significantly reduce the risk of them falling foul of FFP again. Added to that they had the financial benefit of promotion to the PL and subsequent parachute payments. Oh, and they were allowed to pay the financial penalties over 10 years! So cheats very clearly do prosper!

As I said, I was always a bit envious because it led to promotion and as football finances are outside of the control of fans I would have given up the moral high ground and taken the filthy lucre and its consequences to get back to the Premier League. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2021 12:28

RoyalBlue
South Coast Royal
Sutekh

Think it makes sense. Writing off loans makes the club more financially healthy, but means those behind the club can't reclaim that money. It's just gone. Essentially it hurts the owners, not the club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2021 12:53

South Coast Royal
Sutekh
RoyalBlue
If they were, it wasn't until they got relegated back to the EFL. Also, I think at least part of their 'punishment' was that a loan had to be written off, which would seem to have helped them out rather than punished them.

They were fined £7 million which then got reduced to £4 million (apparantly their owner asked for a discount for paying cash)
Seems they breached FFP ‘by mistake’.
I reckon Dai Yongge should just send the EFL a cheque for £5 million now and get them to lose our file !

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 01 Feb 2021 13:04

Nameless
AthleticoSpizz +1
I entered this crazy ride as a ‘Biscuitman’

Would prefer to exit it as one.

Apart from that, a great club nickname....even if the biscuits are United nowadays (UB)

Would be a nice nod to the past to bring back the Biscuitmen name as part of the 150 year celebrations. Wecankeep theRoyals as well but why not have a link to the history of the club and the town ?

Interestingly*, the new cinema on the corner of Broad Street Mall, where Argos was, is going to be called The Biscuit Factory.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Feb 2021 22:33

This one isn’t even about us, but just... I just... but.. actually I have no words.

Let's face it we are Premiership. I said a week ago we honestly are one of the best 15 teams in English football right now.

https://griffinpark.org/index.php?threa ... 930/page-8

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Feb 2021 22:43

Their fans have been more complementary about us than any other supporters this season. Good to see.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 10 Feb 2021 23:26

Let them have it. They deserve it. Reading their forum didn't seem a great deal different to our 106 season.

It's unlikely a team will better that haul of 99 goals and 106 points.

So let them have it. To be fair, they seem to have everything right. You can't really begrudge them anything.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 10 Feb 2021 23:33

skipper Let them have it. They deserve it. Reading their forum didn't seem a great deal different to our 106 season.

It's unlikely a team will better that haul of 99 goals and 106 points.

So let them have it. To be fair, they seem to have everything right. You can't really begrudge them anything.

Aye, nothing inherently dislike-able about the club. Which tbh says a lot.

JR

by JR » 10 Feb 2021 23:39

CountryRoyal This one isn’t even about us, but just... I just... but.. actually I have no words.

Let's face it we are Premiership. I said a week ago we honestly are one of the best 15 teams in English football right now.

I 100% agree with this view on the Bees forum.

I think they will be comfortably mid table next season in Prem.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2021 23:43

Compared to lots of the northern we`re bigger than you teams this lot are a down to earth lot, Griffin park was always a good day out and I doubt they would dispute we`ve had the better of them over the years but their recruitment over recent years has been different gravy.
They are going up this season and the best of luck to them. deserve their place in the top flight, but we all know its a bigger ball game up there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2021 06:49

Far prefer a side like them to go up than one who has just bounced back on the strength of parachute payments etc

Top side, who have recruited and sold well and play football the right way. They deserve promotion and I’m sure they’ll get it. A far better side than Swansea and probably Norwich as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Feb 2021 08:30

JR
CountryRoyal This one isn’t even about us, but just... I just... but.. actually I have no words.

Can't disagree with it either, if they had that team in the PL now they would be around 14th or 15th easily.

They won't get past 106 as need 50 points from 18 to do so but I don't see them losing many more games this year - can see them winning the league by 10 points or so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2021 08:50

Stranded
JR

Can't disagree with it either, if they had that team in the PL now they would be around 14th or 15th easily.

They won't get past 106 as need 50 points from 18 to do so but I don't see them losing many more games this year - can see them winning the league by 10 points or so.

They beat a number of teams in the cup comps from the PL didnt they?

I think they'd probably hold their own with anyone from Brighton down in the PL

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 09:39

Fair play to them for admitting we were the better team first half. I know its easy to do when you win but a lot of fans wouldn't have.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Feb 2021 09:41

NewCorkSeth Fair play to them for admitting we were the better team first half. I know its easy to do when you win but a lot of fans wouldn't have.

It is also a lot easier to do after coming away with a 3-1 away win :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Feb 2021 10:43

Stranded
JR

Still a long way to go this season for them. On the balance of last night/recent form, they look unstoppable but considering they’re only 2 points ahead of 3rd (assuming Swansea win their game in hand), one loss and a couple of injuries could curtail their season

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 11:00

URZZZZ
Stranded
JR

Still a long way to go this season for them. On the balance of last night/recent form, they look unstoppable but considering they’re only 2 points ahead of 3rd (assuming Swansea win their game in hand), one loss and a couple of injuries could curtail their season

Yep, that is, provided Swansea and Norwich don't have the same issue.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Feb 2021 11:05

Personally would love for them to go up. Only reason I wouldn't is I was hoping to go to their new stadium once we're allowed again so as long as we go up with them I'm fine. :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Feb 2021 11:10

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Stranded

Yep, that is, provided Swansea and Norwich don't have the same issue.

True

IIRC though, there were a lot of people a few weeks ago saying “Norwich are already up” and that 2nd place is up for grabs and now it seems like the same is being said for Brentford

You’d probably say Norwich and Brentford are the best two sides in the division but the Championship doesn’t work like that, Swansea are an excellently drilled team and we still have a good shot at the top two if we get a bit of momentum going again. Fixture list doesn’t look too bad for the rest of February and March but nonetheless, should be an interesting last few months for the Champ

4486 posts