4486 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2021 11:41

Generally fair feedback but, less so, this:

And again we only concede from a dodgy refereeing decision........

Just what sort of crime do they thing their defence need to concede for it to be warranted a fair penalty? It was a silly & pretty much needless challenge, given the situation, from their defender and a penalty was a just a fair decision for his stupidity alone!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 11:47

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Still a long way to go this season for them. On the balance of last night/recent form, they look unstoppable but considering they’re only 2 points ahead of 3rd (assuming Swansea win their game in hand), one loss and a couple of injuries could curtail their season

Yep, that is, provided Swansea and Norwich don't have the same issue.

True

IIRC though, there were a lot of people a few weeks ago saying “Norwich are already up” and that 2nd place is up for grabs and now it seems like the same is being said for Brentford

You’d probably say Norwich and Brentford are the best two sides in the division but the Championship doesn’t work like that, Swansea are an excellently drilled team and we still have a good shot at the top two if we get a bit of momentum going again. Fixture list doesn’t look too bad for the rest of February and March but nonetheless, should be an interesting last few months for the Champ

I genuinely think it's funny that people were calling this a low quality year before it started. Some people saying the squads coming down weren't good enough etc..

Its been a really high quality and competitive season so far. Lots of interesting battles going on throughout the table. Only team I'm disappointed by are Millwall who I thought looked decent. Obviously, being Irish, I was hoping Parrott would smash it but that was not a good loan.

Anyway, I'm sure I had quite a few people knock back the praise I had for Brentford in early January. Although I understand I have been a bit too lavish with my praises in the last 2 seasons. Glad to see the fans are just enjoying the ride and not taking it all for granted like other teams have.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 11:48

RoyalBlue Generally fair feedback but, less so, this:

Just what sort of crime do they thing their defence need to concede for it to be warranted a fair penalty? It was a silly & pretty much needless challenge, given the situation, from their defender and a penalty was a just a fair decision for his stupidity alone!

Honestly, when I saw it in real time I thought Laurent had kicked the turf, when I saw the replay I was even more convinced there was no contact, but people keep saying he was clipped so I'm gonna take their word for it.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 11:56

I think Brentford are a good side and will get promoted.
As far as "easily" being 14th or 15th in the Premier League is concerned that is quite some leap of faith.

To get to that position they would need to do better that Burnley and Brighton, two solid physical sides and probaly Wolves and Palace and I do think that fans get a bit carried away with a bit of apparent success in a long-awaited promotion season.
Reading had a much better side when we reached 8th and don't forget we were exceptional in the promotion year and not just a bit better than the rest which is probably where Brentford currently stand.

I wish them well but IMHO I feel that they and the other two who get promoted are more likely to do a Fulham or a West Brom than a 2006 Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2021 12:14

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Yep, that is, provided Swansea and Norwich don't have the same issue.

True

IIRC though, there were a lot of people a few weeks ago saying “Norwich are already up” and that 2nd place is up for grabs and now it seems like the same is being said for Brentford

You’d probably say Norwich and Brentford are the best two sides in the division but the Championship doesn’t work like that, Swansea are an excellently drilled team and we still have a good shot at the top two if we get a bit of momentum going again. Fixture list doesn’t look too bad for the rest of February and March but nonetheless, should be an interesting last few months for the Champ

I genuinely think it's funny that people were calling this a low quality year before it started. Some people saying the squads coming down weren't good enough etc..

Its been a really high quality and competitive season so far. Lots of interesting battles going on throughout the table. Only team I'm disappointed by are Millwall who I thought looked decent. Obviously, being Irish, I was hoping Parrott would smash it but that was not a good loan.

Anyway, I'm sure I had quite a few people knock back the praise I had for Brentford in early January. Although I understand I have been a bit too lavish with my praises in the last 2 seasons. Glad to see the fans are just enjoying the ride and not taking it all for granted like other teams have.

I think the top 6 are better this year than they have been for a while. On paper at least. There is an awful lot of bang average teams from Stoke all the way down to the likes of Coventry, who all seem pretty similar quality wise. Only wycombe really not up to it

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Feb 2021 12:18

Hound
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
True

I think the top 6 are better this year than they have been for a while. On paper at least. There is an awful lot of bang average teams from Stoke all the way down to the likes of Coventry, who all seem pretty similar quality wise. Only wycombe really not up to it

12 points separating 23rd and 7th

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2021 13:07

Yep says it all

All games you would go into thinking it’ll be a tough game but disappointing if you don’t win it

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Feb 2021 14:41

Hound
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
True

Well off premiership quality though. Considerable gulf that is continuing to widen.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 15:12

Lower West
Hound
NewCorkSeth I genuinely think it's funny that people were calling this a low quality year before it started. Some people saying the squads coming down weren't good enough etc..

Well off premiership quality though. Considerable gulf that is continuing to widen.

Agreed.
I think it is the usual Championship season where the quality stuff is rare-last night being very much the exception than the rule.

All 3 of the relegated sides are in the top 6 with squads weaker than they had last season so it doesn't say much for the rest.
Reading is the only team that has kicked on from last season in a big way and that is partly due to the dross elsewhere but also to do with the brilliant management and players themselves having progressed.
Long may that continue.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Feb 2021 15:13

Lower West
Hound
NewCorkSeth I genuinely think it's funny that people were calling this a low quality year before it started. Some people saying the squads coming down weren't good enough etc..

I disagree there to a degree and it all depends on what you define as premiership quality - in your first season you just need to be fourth worst to stand a chance of becoming a regular feature in the division - assuming solid recruitment.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Feb 2021 15:37

South Coast Royal
Lower West
Hound

Agreed.
I think it is the usual Championship season where the quality stuff is rare-last night being very much the exception than the rule.

All 3 of the relegated sides are in the top 6 with squads weaker than they had last season so it doesn't say much for the rest.
Reading is the only team that has kicked on from last season in a big way and that is partly due to the dross elsewhere but also to do with the brilliant management and players themselves having progressed.
Long may that continue.

Top 6 is 3 relegated side, 2 play-off losers and Reading. We've done very well when you look at it that way.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 15:46

WestYorksRoyal
South Coast Royal
Lower West

Agreed.

Long may that continue.

Top 6 is 3 relegated side, 2 play-off losers and Reading. We've done very well when you look at it that way.

No argument that we have done well- I was just suggesting that the level in The Championship this season is no better than in any other season as somebody had suggested that this year's is a better standard than normal.

You mention the relegated sides all being in the top 6-that says to me that the standard is if anything lower than normal especially as those sides have lost key members of their squads-in Bournemouth's case they have lost over £80 million worth of talent and done almost nothing to replace them..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2021 20:22

NewCorkSeth

Honestly, when I saw it in real time I thought Laurent had kicked the turf, when I saw the replay I was even more convinced there was no contact, but people keep saying he was clipped so I'm gonna take their word for it.

He wasn't clipped as such. The defender didn't make a challenge.

The defender was just positioned so that when Laurent made his back lift, he caught the inside of the defender's leg, which interfered with his swing and made him air kick and go over.

In many ways the only thing the defender did wrong was be standing too close in the wrong place, and being tight is part of his job.

Just one of those things. Not so much a 'foul' in the common sense of the word as accidentally impeding.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 11 Feb 2021 22:43

Agreed on the Brentford ( and before that Bournemouth) admiration.

Except when they play us. Like last night, the monstercunts.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Feb 2021 00:10

Stranded
Lower West
Hound

I disagree there to a degree and it all depends on what you define as premiership quality - in your first season you just need to be fourth worst to stand a chance of becoming a regular feature in the division - assuming solid recruitment.

Speed of thought, physicality, tempo game is played at, sheer pace all over the pitch. Currently we are best pedestrian in comparison.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Feb 2021 08:09

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

He wasn't clipped as such. The defender didn't make a challenge.

The defender was just positioned so that when Laurent made his back lift, he caught the inside of the defender's leg, which interfered with his swing and made him air kick and go over.

In many ways the only thing the defender did wrong was be standing too close in the wrong place, and being tight is part of his job.

Just one of those things. Not so much a 'foul' in the common sense of the word as accidentally impeding.

Fair enough. I just couldn't see the contact in the replays at all! And, considering it was a penalty to us, I didn't feel the need to do a deep dive.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 12 Feb 2021 09:55

Stranded
Lower West
Hound

Well off premiership quality though. The considerable gulf that is continuing to widen.

Agree with Stranded here. When the 3 get relegated this year, there will be at least 3, maybe 4 that will be lucky to still be in the division. The gulf at the top of the Premiership might be widening, but the gulf between the bottom 6 of prem to top 6 of Championship, I don't think is that huge.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2021 10:08

I don't even think the gulf between the top 6 and the rest of the league is quite as big anymore. Just look at your recent results for Burnley, Brighton and Southampton against Liverpool, and Villa and West Ham are doing very well too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2021 10:14

genome I don't even think the gulf between the top 6 and the rest of the league is quite as big anymore. Just look at your recent results for Burnley, Brighton and Southampton against Liverpool, and Villa and West Ham are doing very well too.

This year is naturally a bit of a random year for a number of reasons, which there is no need to get into here.

When going up, I think it is up to the club how they approach it - some like Norwich, just decide to see how they go with what they have, with perhaps the odd addition, accept the drop and pocket the money - as a long term plan for the future of the clubs finances nothing wrong with that.

Others go crazy like Fulham, after both of their last promotions and essentially rip out the heart of what got them promoted and wonder why they are struggling.

If a club recruits well then there is a more than decent chance they can stay up and then push on - our recrutiment in the past couple of years has been pretty decent, so I would be fairly confident that we would stay up if we made it. Brentford have almost perfected recruitment, so see no reason to think they won't also do the right things. Brexit may well scupper some plans though as it will be much harder to bring in under the radar talent unless they are in the top leagues.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Feb 2021 10:48

genome I don't even think the gulf between the top 6 and the rest of the league is quite as big anymore. Just look at your recent results for Burnley, Brighton and Southampton against Liverpool, and Villa and West Ham are doing very well too.

Yeah, feels like premier league money has allowed several other teams to become "best of the rest". I think there is a slight trickle down effect that leads to championship clubs having players that would previously have been snapped up by a Premier league club faster.

4486 posts