Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Aug 2022 15:57

I'm more confident that we can float around lower mid table and not be too seriously involved in the relegation fight. There may be a few more Rotherham type performances but last night was our best overall performance in years and gives me confidence that when we get it right we are a match for anyone in this league.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2022 16:04

From Despair To Where? I'm more confident that we can float around lower mid table and not be too seriously involved in the relegation fight. There may be a few more Rotherham type performances but last night was our best overall performance in years and gives me confidence that when we get it right we are a match for anyone in this league.

Even the Second Tier Pod have been complementary about us today and saying if we can make last night the benchmark, we'll be nowhere near the relegation battle.

Makes a pleasant change.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Aug 2022 17:38

Mr Optimist Interesting comments from the Bristol City forum, do they not consider that they are potential relegation candidates alongside us? For me they are, they are bang average.

Absolutely appalling club with a manager who no longer has a clue (used to, mind).

They will be in League One in three year's time. 'Back where they belong!'

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Aug 2022 20:24

Thought I'd throw in a couple of WBA quotes from their forum

"Swift has been shite last 2 games. Obvious substitution last night ... really poor."

”Reading fans warned that Swift will go missing some games…….when he is good, he is very good, but…."

Must be due an injury about now as well.
Ron's magic slowly unravelling there. No promotion and massive wage bills and long term contracts.....sounds familiar.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2022 20:26

Ascotexgunner Thought I'd throw in a couple of WBA quotes from their forum

"Swift has been shite last 2 games. Obvious substitution last night ... really poor."

”Reading fans warned that Swift will go missing some games…….when he is good, he is very good, but…."

Ron's magic slowly unravelling there. No promotion and massive wage bills and long term contracts.....sounds familiar.

If they don’t go up they could be in serious problem in regard to FFP.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Aug 2022 20:40

Zip
Ascotexgunner Thought I'd throw in a couple of WBA quotes from their forum

If they don’t go up they could be in serious problem in regard to FFP.

I loved Swift and I understood why he went, but I look at that midfield we have lost and you just wonder, is it that bigger loss? I don't class any of them as great ball winners, and time and time again the back four got exposed with no cover. I think Loum is that player we have been crying out for for what seems like years.....his positioning just looks like he can cover all areas of danger in front of the back line. Watching the Youtube videos of him before he had signed got me excited....even the fight with his captain showed the passion. As I say his ball winning and positioning look exceptional.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2022 20:47

Our current midfield options look much more cut out for the Championship compared to last season. An unfit Drinkwater, an incredibly flaky Halilovic and a defensively weak Swift were always going to struggle with the physical rigours of Championship football

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 Aug 2022 06:59

Didn’t realise that Josh Laurent is out for 6 to 8 weeks with an ankle ligament injury. He only missed 6 league games over two seasons with us, I guess you could say he was due one from the way professional football luck goes…

Does at least mean I’ll be spared the pain of seeing him playing against us for a while as he will be out of our Stoke game on 04 September.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2022 08:13

Probably couldn’t cope going from shoddy training sessions to proper ones. :wink:

Hope he has a swift (not John swift like) recovery.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2022 10:10

Yep spotted he was injured.

Not really missing swift tbh. Like the guy a lot but Ince has filled the gap and has more energy and defensive work - obvs a slight gap in some creativity

Still for the life of me can’t work out why Ince flopped at Stoke. He just looks a v good player to me

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Aug 2022 10:24

Hound Yep spotted he was injured.

Not really missing swift tbh. Like the guy a lot but Ince has filled the gap and has more energy and defensive work - obvs a slight gap in some creativity

Still for the life of me can’t work out why Ince flopped at Stoke. He just looks a v good player to me

It’s particularly strange because Stoke fans often criticised his work rate which has been second to none from the outset here

Lot of pressure on him at Stoke, £10 million move, high expectations for Stoke to go up, and I get the impression he’s a bit of a confidence player, all worked against him at Stoke

I think it’s true that almost any player can flourish in the right environment

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Aug 2022 10:39

Well I would think he needs to be on top of his game here with his old man in charge.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2022 10:40

Mr Optimist Interesting comments from the Bristol City forum, do they not consider that they are potential relegation candidates alongside us? For me they are, they are bang average.

So they’ll be firmly mid table?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2022 10:41

windermereROYAL Well I would think he needs to be on top of his game here with his old man in charge.

Exactly that’s the obvious difference!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Aug 2022 10:43

Just on his sheer work rate alone he has been impressive. Maybe he is giving it his all because his father is the boss but

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 Aug 2022 11:13

He looked a good player at Blackpool and Derby earlier in his career too. Sometimes I guess the club, the structure and coaching staff are a good fit and get the most out of a player and sometimes not all pieces of the equation come together, and then factor in injuries and occasional loss of form etc. his dad seems to be getting the best out of him, and RFC seems a good fit too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2022 11:14

URZZZZ

It’s particularly strange because Stoke fans often criticised his work rate which has been second to none from the outset here

Lot of pressure on him at Stoke, £10 million move, high expectations for Stoke to go up, and I get the impression he’s a bit of a confidence player, all worked against him at Stoke

I think it’s true that almost any player can flourish in the right environment

Suppose tbf he looked like he started quite well there

Had 3 superb seasons for Derby, did ok in the prem, and did well for Stoke in 18/19

They’ve not be the best run club since then so possibly just a by product of that

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 Aug 2022 11:16

Millsy

Ignoring the pedantry, they will be lower mid table and with a couple of key players injured or sold they will definitely be more worried about the bottom of the table than the top six.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2022 11:21

Mr Optimist
Millsy

Ignoring the pedantry, they will be lower mid table and with a couple of key players injured or sold they will definitely be more worried about the bottom of the table than the top six.

Oh I agree mate.

But don’t ignore the pedantry. I’m a pedantic ****. Embrace it. ;)

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 Aug 2022 11:37

Millsy
Mr Optimist
Millsy

Oh I agree mate.

But don’t ignore the pedantry. I’m a pedantic ****. Embrace it. ;)

:lol: I forget words are so often taken literally here it feels like you are in the Monty Python paid argument sketch!

4464 posts