Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by bcubed » 14 Feb 2021 14:19

Jagermesiter1871 Hunty in mid week was a breath of fresh air even if he is mental :lol:

And occasionally unintelligible

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 14 Feb 2021 14:19

bcubed
Jagermesiter1871 Hunty in mid week was a breath of fresh air even if he is mental :lol:

And occasionally unintelligible

That's half the fun.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2021 16:43

Hound They’re unlistenable. I can only imagine how much they’d annoy an opposition fan

Mick's ok. He doesn't get much to work with from Dellor. Not brilliant, but ok.
Dellor's useless.
Williams is just a wum.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Feb 2021 17:07

I've seen numerous comments on here over the years about Dellor, Gooding, etc, most not complimentary, but never listened to them before. Having heard their commentaries on iFollow now, I can see that most of the comments are accurate.

Surprised nobody has mentioned this but when Smith came on Dellor was ridiculing him, virtually fat shaming him. Thought that was childish and asking for karma, which we duly got.

The mixing up of identities of the players in the Brentford game was embarrassing. I used to listen to the BBC Radio Norfolk commentaries on Norwich games a fair bit and they've had a few bizarre commentary teams themselves over the years but now seem to have sorted it out to the point where their commentary and summarising is some way better than BBC Berks, imho.

It seems to me that the man commentator/presenter, in this case Dellor, seems to think they must develop some sort of character or personality as a bit of a showman. This really comes across as being crass as most football fans want a sensible summary and more exact commentary of the game as it happens from a radio station than some sort of Timmy Mallett experience.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Feb 2021 18:59

Norfolk Royal I've seen numerous comments on here over the years about Dellor, Gooding, etc, most not complimentary, but never listened to them before. Having heard their commentaries on iFollow now, I can see that most of the comments are accurate.

Surprised nobody has mentioned this but when Smith came on Dellor was ridiculing him, virtually fat shaming him. Thought that was childish and asking for karma, which we duly got.

The mixing up of identities of the players in the Brentford game was embarrassing. I used to listen to the BBC Radio Norfolk commentaries on Norwich games a fair bit and they've had a few bizarre commentary teams themselves over the years but now seem to have sorted it out to the point where their commentary and summarising is some way better than BBC Berks, imho.

It seems to me that the man commentator/presenter, in this case Dellor, seems to think they must develop some sort of character or personality as a bit of a showman. This really comes across as being crass as most football fans want a sensible summary and more exact commentary of the game as it happens from a radio station than some sort of Timmy Mallett experience.

I haven't heard them much over the years but I do agree the coverage is not very good.

I know it is Local Radio so you expect an element of bias in commentary which is fine but Dellor in particular seems to see the games like somebody in East Stand 26 who has had 4-5 pints and thinks that every decision should go Reading's way.

It was Ian I think who said about Dellor mixing players up- for a guy that watches our games every week and whose job it is to recognise the players on the pitch he is not very good.
Yes, there can be the occasional mistake of identity but it happens far too often.

As for Adie, I like his approach and having been a fan of his and of Mick over the years I would cut them some slack but Dellor is a professional broadcaster so should do better.

The Stoke game had no commentary from our boys and I think I'll watch future games without their input-they add nothing to the event whereas an amateur broadcaster such as Stephen Hunt offered more of significance over 90 minutes than the others have for most of the season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2021 19:31

Nice to hear from Hunty again...barely understood a word he said, mind.

The Berks commentary is just fine.

Not all of us take the game quite so seriously, football is there to be enjoyed....just an opinion, of course

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 14 Feb 2021 21:28

AthleticoSpizz Nice to hear from Hunty again...barely understood a word he said, mind.

The Berks commentary is just fine.

Not all of us take the game quite so seriously, football is there to be enjoyed....just an opinion, of course

Can't beat Tim talking about his morning run, some obscure stat he's found or his amateur sports psychology musings. Mick "half a second" Gooding and his briefcase full of Chocolate bars make it a great duo.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Feb 2021 08:25

Been listening to the opposition’s commentary for games recently. While it is still very much ‘local radio’ it has been almost without exception much preferable to the BBC berks effort. I watch the game for the action on the pitch, not for self indulgent waffle from presenters with delusions that they are some sort of ‘characters’. I just need the commentator to give me an accurate description of who is doing what, and the odd bit of background info. What RadioBerks offers actually detracts from the game because of the inaccuracies and irrelevances. A few games ago Dellor spent ages moaning that the opposition players were committing lots of minor fouls but none that warranted a card, he thought the laws should allow for some kind of totting up process where a player couldn’t get a card for repeated minor offences. I bet if he read the laws he’d be surprised, or even just watched what referees actually award cards for.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Feb 2021 08:44

South Coast Royal
Norfolk Royal I've seen numerous comments on here over the years about Dellor, Gooding, etc, most not complimentary, but never listened to them before. Having heard their commentaries on iFollow now, I can see that most of the comments are accurate.

I haven't heard them much over the years but I do agree the coverage is not very good.

I know it is Local Radio so you expect an element of bias in commentary which is fine but Dellor in particular seems to see the games like somebody in East Stand 26 who has had 4-5 pints and thinks that every decision should go Reading's way.

It was Ian I think who said about Dellor mixing players up- for a guy that watches our games every week and whose job it is to recognise the players on the pitch he is not very good.
Yes, there can be the occasional mistake of identity but it happens far too often.

As for Adie, I like his approach and having been a fan of his and of Mick over the years I would cut them some slack but Dellor is a professional broadcaster so should do better.

The Stoke game had no commentary from our boys and I think I'll watch future games without their input-they add nothing to the event whereas an amateur broadcaster such as Stephen Hunt offered more of significance over 90 minutes than the others have for most of the season.

I haven't heard the Adie stuff to be fair so I'm sure you're right about that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2021 09:34

Nameless Been listening to the opposition’s commentary for games recently. While it is still very much ‘local radio’ it has been almost without exception much preferable to the BBC berks effort. I watch the game for the action on the pitch, not for self indulgent waffle from presenters with delusions that they are some sort of ‘characters’. I just need the commentator to give me an accurate description of who is doing what, and the odd bit of background info. What RadioBerks offers actually detracts from the game because of the inaccuracies and irrelevances. A few games ago Dellor spent ages moaning that the opposition players were committing lots of minor fouls but none that warranted a card, he thought the laws should allow for some kind of totting up process where a player couldn’t get a card for repeated minor offences. I bet if he read the laws he’d be surprised, or even just watched what referees actually award cards for.

Whilst agreed that Berks is shocking at times, I would argue that saying others are better may be a case of it not being Berks.

For the Stoke game, the local commentator had a voice for sleeping too and he made plenty of mistakes when it came to naming players on both sides. A lot of the chatter was also inane drivel. Different but not really better.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Feb 2021 10:29

Stranded
Nameless Been listening to the opposition’s commentary for games recently. While it is still very much ‘local radio’ it has been almost without exception much preferable to the BBC berks effort. I watch the game for the action on the pitch, not for self indulgent waffle from presenters with delusions that they are some sort of ‘characters’. I just need the commentator to give me an accurate description of who is doing what, and the odd bit of background info. What RadioBerks offers actually detracts from the game because of the inaccuracies and irrelevances. A few games ago Dellor spent ages moaning that the opposition players were committing lots of minor fouls but none that warranted a card, he thought the laws should allow for some kind of totting up process where a player couldn’t get a card for repeated minor offences. I bet if he read the laws he’d be surprised, or even just watched what referees actually award cards for.

Whilst agreed that Berks is shocking at times, I would argue that saying others are better may be a case of it not being Berks.

For the Stoke game, the local commentator had a voice for sleeping too and he made plenty of mistakes when it came to naming players on both sides. A lot of the chatter was also inane drivel. Different but not really better.

Oh yeah, this. There was one point in the game where he didn't commentate for a number of minutes, including an entire attack, because he was giving shoutouts to fans.... Lucky for him we didn't score...

All I've really decided from all of this is that I wouldn't pay for radio commentary, because they're not telling you what's going on, on the pitch.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 16 Feb 2021 08:08

Ady Williams is not a professionally-trained broadcaster (as far as I know anyway) but I quite like his presenting style. It feels a bit more authentic than some others. I don't always agree with him but he's not awful and it's only local radio.

Mick Gooding is good although his prep isn't always great, as others have said here. He knows the game and has good insight, but it can't be easy commentating alongside Dellor.

Again, it's local radio so doesn't actually matter, and Dellor is never explicitly out of order or offensive, but his commentary is just not very good. Regularly not being able to identify players he watches every week is really bad, and he never has any kind of insight into the opponents.

To be honest, I don't mind little asides into random things during commentary to give it a bit of character, but Dellor is also not very good at that either.

Not too long until we're back hopefully, then we don't have to listen to him anymore.

I'll be interested to see the Bristol City fans' responses after tonight's game as they've had a bit of a fall from grace this year after being right up there over the last few years.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Feb 2021 21:54

Bristol City fans seem to think they outplayed us and deserved to win.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Feb 2021 21:57

Pepe the Horseman Bristol City fans seem to think they outplayed us and deserved to win.

How can a team that didn’t play OUTplay anyone ?
A shot on target might have been a useful th8ng for them to try for.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Feb 2021 22:01

Pepe the Horseman Bristol City fans seem to think they outplayed us and deserved to win.

Not buying it. Obviously trolling.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2021 22:10

Nah, not having that. Link or get the oxf*rd out.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Feb 2021 22:26

Sounds about right for that lot.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Feb 2021 22:35

Are you sure you looked at the thread for the right game?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Feb 2021 23:10

The goals on pages 16 to 20 are a joy to behold , a real meltdown.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic ... d/page/16/

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2021 08:35

windermereROYAL The goals on pages 16 to 20 are a joy to behold , a real meltdown.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic ... d/page/16/

Oof. That's a collective meltdown. Things really must have been shite.

They were a decent team the last 2 seasons weren't they?

4486 posts