Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by handbags_harris » 12 Aug 2013 20:04

Arch It's fourteen easy miles from the centre of Bolton to Old Trafford, and less than thirty to Stanley Park. Every direction you drive out of Bolton you very quickly come to another football league town - Blackburn, Bury, Wigan, etc. - some of them less than ten miles away. There's no way Reading's situation is comparable.

We will just have to disagree then me ol' mucka. The situation is entirely comparable IMO, bigger, more successful clubs within easy reach of the provincial location of the local club which has a profound affect on the attendances of said local club. London clubs have always had an easterly gravitational pull on the football-supporting populace of little old Reading and only now is that trend beginning to buck. Speaking from experience within my own family, I know of members of two generations who are RFC season ticket holders who actually "supported" London clubs, in this case my great uncle supports Arsenal and my uncle West Ham. I know of many other people in this town who support London clubs over and above Reading.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 12 Aug 2013 20:57

handbags_harris
Arch It's fourteen easy miles from the centre of Bolton to Old Trafford, and less than thirty to Stanley Park. Every direction you drive out of Bolton you very quickly come to another football league town - Blackburn, Bury, Wigan, etc. - some of them less than ten miles away. There's no way Reading's situation is comparable.

We will just have to disagree then me ol' mucka. The situation is entirely comparable IMO, bigger, more successful clubs within easy reach of the provincial location of the local club which has a profound affect on the attendances of said local club. London clubs have always had an easterly gravitational pull on the football-supporting populace of little old Reading and only now is that trend beginning to buck. Speaking from experience within my own family, I know of members of two generations who are RFC season ticket holders who actually "supported" London clubs, in this case my great uncle supports Arsenal and my uncle West Ham. I know of many other people in this town who support London clubs over and above Reading.

http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/AreaMap ... ew=ENGLAND

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Aug 2013 19:05

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Aug 2013 19:08

"Fabrinni went down like a gay ballet dancer, but a foul is is a foul. Clear pen." :D

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 25 Aug 2013 10:38

From http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk

Good game that could have gone either way! Ref made a few dubious decisions but a fair game and fair result

I thought we started ok and although Reading looked more composed on the ball, we created the best chance when Angel scooped the ball up for a header which Bishop headed wide. Reading ended the half the much stronger team and half time couldn't come quick enough. They had a two minute spell where Gilks made a great save and then shortly after they hit the bar. Us going in at 0-0 proved crucial. I know it's a cliché but with our small squad, the first goal becomes even more important. We were really struggling at times with aimless long balls and you could never have imaged we would won.

The second half was pretty similar where Reading controlled the game. They didn't have many chances but I think they will be disappointed not to score. We just couldn't keep the ball but what we lacked in quality, we certainly made up for it with organisation and pride.

The atmosphere was flat and you were almost just waiting for the inevitable Reading goal especially when MacKenzie went off injured. Bishop went right back, Basham centre half, Fonz midfield, it was complete chaos but they dug in. We perhaps didn't deserve if you look at chances created and quality on the ball, but we deserved it for simply showing the guile and desire to do well. The winning goal was fantastic. Tom Barkzuihen won the ball and then just kept driving towards goal. The defender slipped and allowed Barks to slot it home under the keeper. The place went wild and it was like the old Bloomers.

The next 15 minutes plus the extra 6 mins of stoppage were nerve wracking but we coped with everything Reading threw at us. The fans finally woke up as well and played a big part in getting the lads over the line. What a relief when the full time whistle went. It was a win from absolute nowhere which made the victory even sweeter. Let's remember they had some quality attacking options in Le Fondre and Drenthe so to keep a clean sheet under the circumstances is remarkable.

It was a awful turnout by Reading, lowest i can remember in a long time.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 25 Aug 2013 10:56

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Aug 2013 11:01

PistolPete From http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk

It was a awful turnout by Reading, lowest i can remember in a long time.

Have to say I agree. It's not as if there is anything going on in Reading this weekend that would stop people going. Oh wait...

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 25 Aug 2013 11:41

Are you seriously suggesting that a majority of those who would have gone to the game were standing in to the mud down by Cow Lane instead ?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Aug 2013 11:51

Nope you're saying that.

The majority of regular away game travellers will have been at Bloomfield Road however some who may have travelled could've gone to the festival instead or done other things on a bank holiday weekend which therefore may have affected the numbers. You also have to bear In mind that we have three away games this week, one of which we've sold our entire allocation for and people may not be able to afford to go on a long journey north as well.

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 25 Aug 2013 12:26

Fair enough.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 Aug 2013 22:12

URZZZZZ http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread-13192-post-208468.html#pid208468

They sure loved our Sir Drenthe

When he was in the middle he seemed pretty anonymous to me. Struggled to make any impact due to Blackpool's 4-1-4-------------------1 formation. ON the wing for 10 minutes he was sublime though, ripped their left back a new one time and again.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2013 23:55

sandman
The majority of regular away game travellers will have been at Bloomfield Road however some who may have travelled could've gone to the festival instead or done other things on a bank holiday weekend which therefore may have affected the numbers. You also have to bear In mind that we have three away games this week, one of which we've sold our entire allocation for and people may not be able to afford to go on a long journey north as well.

Peterborough and Yeovil is all I can manage this week......... :oops:

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 29 Aug 2013 17:18

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 29 Aug 2013 17:27

URZZZZZ http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread-13192-post-208468.html#pid208468

They sure loved our Sir Drenthe

Greatest. Player. Ever

Reading Posh

by Reading Posh » 30 Aug 2013 18:39

Will95 http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23840

Forum for the window lickers, try this one:

http://www.londonroad.net/Forums/showthread.php?t=56379

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2013 18:47

Posh fans I spoke to were virtually in awe of Le Fondre, even though he didn't have a good game on Tuesday. They found it hard to believe that you won't find many Reading fans who think he's our best player.

You should have seen their little faces when I told them Federici wasn't our best keeper either.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2013 18:49

Ian Royal
You should have seen their little faces when I told them Federici wasn't our best keeper either.

Well two seasons ago Fedders was considered one of the best keepers in the Championship if not the best! I don't think him and McCarthy are miles apart..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2013 18:53

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal

Well two seasons ago Fedders was considered one of the best keepers in the Championship if not the best! I don't think him and McCarthy are miles apart..

Not yet, but one's slipping and the other is getting better. Fed's has never had another season like that one, and maybe never will. He's almost certainly not going to get significantly better. McCarthy has certain areas of his game (hello Mr Kicking, I'm looking at you) he can seriously improve, he's at the age where improvement with experience is almost inevitable and he's already marginly better than Fed.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2013 18:59

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal

Not yet, but one's slipping and the other is getting better. Fed's has never had another season like that one, and maybe never will. He's almost certainly not going to get significantly better. McCarthy has certain areas of his game (hello Mr Kicking, I'm looking at you) he can seriously improve, he's at the age where improvement with experience is almost inevitable and he's already marginly better than Fed.

Agreed. And now we drink.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 15 Sep 2013 19:29

They also say we were shite today. And the majority of them think Drenthe should have got a second yellow
WWW.northstandchat.com

4464 posts