4464 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2021 09:43

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871
:lol: How can you not be a big Swift fan? He's probably our only player who could walk into a Prem team. More so than Olise.

:lol:

He probably could walk into Watford's team tbf. And probably Brentford, and maybe a few others.

If he could walk into any PL team, let alone several, he wouldn't be playing for us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 09:43

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul His body breaks playing Championship football, he goes missing whilst playing Championship football. What have you seen to suggest he can do it consistently in the Premier League? Genuine question.

8 less games and the advantage of being a smaller fish in a bigger pond means you are less likely to be targeted with heavy tackles.
Last Sea we were the most fouled team weren't we? Players like Swift, Olise and Ejaria are less common in the Champ so are hit harder. Lots of "flair" players in the Prem I guess.

Also, because of squad depth in the PL, more likely to rest him if he feels a niggle, as his replacement is less likely to be an untried Academy player. I think the relentless Tuesday Saturday Tuesday nature of the Championship does him no favours.

Yeah 8 games doesn't sound a lot till you put it that way. 2 games a week, smaller squads and a much more evenly competitive league.

Some players are born for the Championship, some for the Premier league and some fit somewhere in between. I think Swift is one of those in between players. Top Championship player but obvious problems that might stop him replicating that in the Premier League.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2021 09:43

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal :lol:

He probably could walk into Watford's team tbf. And probably Brentford, and maybe a few others.

If he could walk into any PL team, let alone several, he wouldn't be playing for us.

Is that why a Premier League team wanted to sign him last year?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2021 09:45

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hound

One team, made some enquiries. If he'd walk in to their team, it would have been far more than that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Aug 2021 09:45

NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth 8 less games and the advantage of being a smaller fish in a bigger pond means you are less likely to be targeted with heavy tackles.
Last Sea we were the most fouled team weren't we? Players like Swift, Olise and Ejaria are less common in the Champ so are hit harder. Lots of "flair" players in the Prem I guess.

His recent injuries all relate to the hamstring, nothing to do with being tackled.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-sw ... ler/197693

He does get dumped about quite a bit though so you could argue one leads to the other. I am just spitballing tbf.

Not sure on that, he seems to just have a muscular issue and they are really hard to get over. Issue we have with him is rather than playing him on a Saturday and then resting him on a Tuesday we have no choice but to push him to play both this season, only a matter of time before he breaks down and it is of no fault of his own. Then you also have to add in training to that too. He is a decent player when he is fully fit, just very fragile which is probably the reason he is still with Reading.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2021 09:45

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal If he could walk into any PL team, let alone several, he wouldn't be playing for us.

One team, made some enquiries. If he'd walk in to their team, it would have been far more than that.

One team that we know of... I'm pretty sure they made an offer as well, rather than just enquiries.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Aug 2021 09:48

There are a lot of supporters who fall over themselves to back John Swift no matter what, very weird. He is extremely poor value for money given how little he is available for us.

It is one thing for a Premier League club to enquire but it is quite another to stump up the cash to get him. Nobody was willing to.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 09:48

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal :lol:

Dunno man, stranger things have happened. Several Championship players over the years who could have probably spent either some or more time in the Premier League. Bannan probably deserved a second shot, Jed Wallace is serially underrated, there is probably someone else obvious I am forgetting but meh.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 10 Aug 2021 09:52

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal If he could walk into any PL team, let alone several, he wouldn't be playing for us.

Football is a mad business.Sometimes Managers just go in for players,just to keep the heat off.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Aug 2021 09:52

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Dunno man, stranger things have happened. Several Championship players over the years who could have probably spent either some or more time in the Premier League. Bannan probably deserved a second shot, Jed Wallace is serially underrated, there is probably someone else obvious I am forgetting but meh.

But both of the players you mentioned play 40 games a season. Swift's issue isn't ability, its being able to keep him fit. His fitness issues also affect his workrate at times to the point he becomes a passenger in games. Scouts will pick up on that.

Not quite sure why nobody has taken a punt on Jed Wallace tbh, cracking player. I guess his Wolves spell might be putting teams off.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 09:52

NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul His recent injuries all relate to the hamstring, nothing to do with being tackled.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-sw ... ler/197693

He does get dumped about quite a bit though so you could argue one leads to the other. I am just spitballing tbf.

Not sure on that, he seems to just have a muscular issue and they are really hard to get over. Issue we have with him is rather than playing him on a Saturday and then resting him on a Tuesday we have no choice but to push him to play both this season, only a matter of time before he breaks down and it is of no fault of his own. Then you also have to add in training to that too. He is a decent player when he is fully fit, just very fragile which is probably the reason he is still with Reading.

Which is a blessing and a curse. I love him as a player, does a lot of what I really appreciate, but boy it would have been a lot better for us to have gotten a fee for him last summer and his wages off the books.

Injuries are hard to understand I guess. He changed his style of running to protect his muscles but when you are closed down as fast as he is every game you have to make a lot more sharp turns and unexpected movements. Maybe he should give up any ideas of being a 10 and sit in a deep quarterback style role spraying passes forward while being protected by Laurent and Rinomhota?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 09:58

NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth

But both of the players you mentioned play 40 games a season. Swift's issue isn't ability, its being able to keep him fit. His fitness issues also affect his workrate at times to the point he becomes a passenger in games. Scouts will pick up on that.

Not quite sure why nobody has taken a punt on Jed Wallace tbh, cracking player. I guess his Wolves spell might be putting teams off.

Yeah it's fair. Still, not like injury prone players haven't had their time in the sun before eh? Get your point though.

Wallace and Bannan make me question if I know anything about football. Both could surely have been bought for reasonable prices and done a job in the PL.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2021 10:00

NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth Dunno man, stranger things have happened. Several Championship players over the years who could have probably spent either some or more time in the Premier League. Bannan probably deserved a second shot, Jed Wallace is serially underrated, there is probably someone else obvious I am forgetting but meh.

Yeah it's fair. Still, not like injury prone players haven't had their time in the sun before eh? Get your point though.

Wallace and Bannan make me question if I know anything about football. Both could surely have been bought for reasonable prices and done a job in the PL.

Suspect Bannon was on a cushy deal, so little motivation to go back to the PL for a struggling team.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Aug 2021 10:03

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul But both of the players you mentioned play 40 games a season. Swift's issue isn't ability, its being able to keep him fit. His fitness issues also affect his workrate at times to the point he becomes a passenger in games. Scouts will pick up on that.

Suspect Bannon was on a cushy deal, so little motivation to go back to the PL for a struggling team.

Playing League 1 football this season, should piss all over everyone (if he stays).
Last edited by NathStPaul on 10 Aug 2021 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 10:05

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Yeah it's fair. Still, not like injury prone players haven't had their time in the sun before eh? Get your point though.

Playing League 1 football this season, should piss all over everyone this season (if he stays).

He's bound to stay isn't he? Signed a new deal I thought? It's gonna be a man playing amongst kids for him.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Aug 2021 10:07

NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal Suspect Bannon was on a cushy deal, so little motivation to go back to the PL for a struggling team.

Playing League 1 football this season, should piss all over everyone this season (if he stays).

He's bound to stay isn't he? Signed a new deal I thought? It's gonna be a man playing amongst kids for him.

He has a contract until the end of the 2023 season, can't see him leaving or Wednesday selling unless they get a silly offer.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 10:09

NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul Playing League 1 football this season, should piss all over everyone this season (if he stays).

He has a contract until the end of the 2023 season, can't see him leaving or Wednesday selling unless they get a silly offer.

Bets on who will have a better season: Hoolahan or Bannan?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2021 10:14

NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth He's bound to stay isn't he? Signed a new deal I thought? It's gonna be a man playing amongst kids for him.

Never particularly rated Bannan. Obvs too good for Div1 though. Jed Wallace is quality though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2021 10:15

NathStPaul There are a lot of supporters who fall over themselves to back John Swift no matter what, very weird. He is extremely poor value for money given how little he is available for us.

It is one thing for a Premier League club to enquire but it is quite another to stump up the cash to get him. Nobody was willing to.

well they did stump it up, Just not enough to persuade us to sell him

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2021 10:18

Hound
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul He has a contract until the end of the 2023 season, can't see him leaving or Wednesday selling unless they get a silly offer.

Never particularly rated Bannan. Obvs too good for Div1 though. Jed Wallace is quality though

Local lad too. Sign him up.

4464 posts