Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by SCIAG » 21 Sep 2021 12:22

Jackson Corner
SCIAG
LUX we are a bigger club than them, they would be horrified to read that, but it's true. We'd be getting more than them in the Premiership. And more if they were struggling with results in this league (ok there is a Premiership dividend vibe still going on for them).

And so we should , with their very small catchment area

Not sure I buy that. OK, they’ve got Chelsea on their doorstep, but Everton have Liverpool on theirs and still draw much bigger crowds than us. Easy to underestimate just how bloody big London is - it’s twenty times the size of Liverpool and something like forty-five times the size of Reading. SW London isn’t exactly Manhattan but it’s way denser than Berkshire.

Reading will draw from the surrounding counties but Fulham also draws a lot of people from Surrey and even a fair share from Berks and Bucks.

Trust me it never used to be like that. I remember going there in the old div 3 days in the early 80s and it was about 3-4 thousand they went down to the 4th division. And were there for a while until Micky Adams got them up. Then Al Fayed came in with his millions and the rest is history. I wonder if Richard Osman and Hugh Grant were fans in the 4th division days.

So a lot like Reading then? We were a third tier team for most of our history and spent more time in the fourth tier than the second. Average attendances in the 80s and early 90s weren’t exactly impressive.

Honestly don’t think it’s worth measuring dicks over average attendances 40 years ago.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2021 12:28

Obviously, it's all relative. Fulham fans like to to forget the last Century because they were relatively shit.

Conversely, Forest fans like to hark back to the last Century becaue they are now relatively shit.

And let's be honest, how many of our fans are like that too? Not so much on here but Twitter is rife with it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2021 12:32

From Despair To Where? Obviously, it's all relative. Fulham fans like to to forget the last Century because they were relatively shit.

Conversely, Forest fans like to hark back to the last Century becaue they are now relatively shit.

And let's be honest, how many of our fans are like that too?

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can look at both our clubs and say Reading are bigger. Maybe in deep football history? But now? No chance.

Not that Fulham are big or there's a huge amount between us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2021 13:23

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Obviously, it's all relative. Fulham fans like to to forget the last Century because they were relatively shit.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can look at both our clubs and say Reading are bigger. Maybe in deep football history? But now? No chance.

Fulham though are largely consistently dividing 1 and 2 throughout most of last century, it was only the 20 years following 1980 where they became more or less permanent fixtures in the bottom divisions.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Sep 2021 13:35

Anyway, we beat the twats. So happy days.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Sep 2021 13:48

Snowflake Royal

all I was saying is, given equal success, we would be better supported.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Sep 2021 13:56

I'm prepared to let this one go tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2021 14:58

LUX
Snowflake Royal

all I was saying is, given equal success, we would be better supported.

Ahhh, that makes a bit more sense.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Sep 2021 20:58

paultheroyal
From Despair To Where?
NathStPaul What is wrong with Paul these days? I swear he never used to be this aggressive and fighty? Sad to see.

Ian also had a point, not specifically Paul's post, but you can go on any BFTG thread and find quotes that drive whatever narrative you're pushing. Paul is definitely becoming more touchy and belligerent.

You can, but i am pushing no narrative because what i posted was a fair balance of all views i.e. we were crap, we were good, give reading credit, referee rubbish, shouldnt be losing to that club etc.... so the replies since have been utterly pointless and a typical Ian rant at my posts..... which continue.

I am not touchy, nor belligerent, just the bumbling fool managed to press my buttons. All is good but thanks for asking along with others x

I’m with you PTR on this one. The selection you posted was a mixture. In fact I was disappointed they didn’t suit MY anti Fulham agenda.

The snide remark followed by the lame excuse got the response they deserved.

You’ve still got fcuking shit music taste, mind.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Sep 2021 21:02

Keep on posting oppo fans views Paul, most o us enjoy their opinions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 08:29

leon
paultheroyal
From Despair To Where?
Ian also had a point, not specifically Paul's post, but you can go on any BFTG thread and find quotes that drive whatever narrative you're pushing. Paul is definitely becoming more touchy and belligerent.

You can, but i am pushing no narrative because what i posted was a fair balance of all views i.e. we were crap, we were good, give reading credit, referee rubbish, shouldnt be losing to that club etc.... so the replies since have been utterly pointless and a typical Ian rant at my posts..... which continue.

I am not touchy, nor belligerent, just the bumbling fool managed to press my buttons. All is good but thanks for asking along with others x

I’m with you PTR on this one. The selection you posted was a mixture. In fact I was disappointed they didn’t suit MY anti Fulham agenda.

The decent posters got it, not surprised you didn’t.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Sep 2021 08:33

Snowflake Royal
leon
paultheroyal

The decent posters got it, not surprised you didn’t.

More than happy not to be in the Ian Royal circle jerk.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 22 Sep 2021 09:47

SCIAG
Jackson Corner
SCIAG Not sure I buy that. OK, they’ve got Chelsea on their doorstep, but Everton have Liverpool on theirs and still draw much bigger crowds than us. Easy to underestimate just how bloody big London is - it’s twenty times the size of Liverpool and something like forty-five times the size of Reading. SW London isn’t exactly Manhattan but it’s way denser than Berkshire.

Reading will draw from the surrounding counties but Fulham also draws a lot of people from Surrey and even a fair share from Berks and Bucks.

Trust me it never used to be like that. I remember going there in the old div 3 days in the early 80s and it was about 3-4 thousand they went down to the 4th division. And were there for a while until Micky Adams got them up. Then Al Fayed came in with his millions and the rest is history. I wonder if Richard Osman and Hugh Grant were fans in the 4th division days.

So a lot like Reading then? We were a third tier team for most of our history and spent more time in the fourth tier than the second. Average attendances in the 80s and early 90s weren’t exactly impressive.

Honestly don’t think it’s worth measuring dicks over average attendances 40 years ago.

SIr John never spent the millions Al Fayed did. Yes we got a lovely stadium and we’re relegated before we even kicked a ball in it. They had high profile managers spent over 10 years in the Premier league even reached the Europa league final. We could only dream of those things and they still play at CC not an industrial estate off the M4.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 12:26

If we were measuring dicks though, I'd win. Just thought it's worth saying.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:09

Millsy If we were measuring dicks though, I'd win. Just thought it's worth saying.

You measured a lot then?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 13:17

Snowflake Royal
Millsy If we were measuring dicks though, I'd win. Just thought it's worth saying.

You measured a lot then?

I'm the king of measuring dicks.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 13:21

Millsy
Snowflake Royal

You measured a lot then?

Makes a change from wishful thinking I guess

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 14:16

WTRoyal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal You measured a lot then?

Aww, you can be too.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 22 Sep 2021 16:22

WTRoyal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal You measured a lot then?

I know which I'd rather be known for.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Sep 2021 14:05

leon
paultheroyal
From Despair To Where?

Thank you and apologies.

4464 posts