Jason Roberts nearly back

732 posts
TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jason Roberts nearly back

by TFF » 10 Jan 2014 16:15

LOL

You reckon pundits are paid better than players?

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Jan 2014 16:21

I misread the thread title is "Jason Roberts is nearly black"

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Jan 2014 16:42

TFF LOL

They do in Abu Dhabi.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2014 16:47

Stuka I misread the thread title is "Jason Roberts is nearly black"

I keep reading it as "Jason Roberts merely black".

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 10 Jan 2014 16:53

Uke
winchester_royal Yep, not sure why Roberts gets all the abuse tbh. The club were daft enough to give him a option in his contract, so have to pay the penalty.

This is why we previously had a policy of never giving over 30's more than a 12 month long deal.

It would have been sanctioned by our (then) new young owner to say "thank you" to Jason

#AZBusinesskillz

It is becoming ever clearer that AZ in his short time in charge of his RFC toy made a number of ill-judged decisions. My pick:
- Roberts decision above (if true)
- sacking McDermott with no real plan for what followed
- appointing Adkins, presumably with a view to a considered change in style and approach, then not following through on it
- wasting money on Drenthe but not keeping proven performers like Kebe and Mariappa
- fill in your own.....

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2014 17:07

- tried to make his own 'T-disc' for a Tassimo pod-type coffee machine but it ended up overheating and flooding the mechanism.
- said "f/ck it, shall we get some coke? Just to end the night off - no, I still don't want a late one" on Saturday night when he had shit to do on Sunday.
- forgot to cancel his landlord's visit on Sunday. Place was a mess.
- Gave those mint choclate pringles a try.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 10 Jan 2014 17:10

Extended-Phenotype - tried to make his own 'T-disc' for a Tassimo pod-type coffee machine but it ended up overheating and flooding the mechanism.
- said "f/ck it, shall we get some coke? Just to end the night off - no, I still don't want a late one" on Saturday night when he had shit to do on Sunday.
- forgot to cancel his landlord's visit on Sunday. Place was a mess.
- Gave those mint choclate pringles a try.

I meant 'your own' examples of AZ's cock-ups. But it's interesting to hear about some of yours. :D

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2014 17:27

Elm Park Old Boy
Uke
winchester_royal Yep, not sure why Roberts gets all the abuse tbh. The club were daft enough to give him a option in his contract, so have to pay the penalty.

This is why we previously had a policy of never giving over 30's more than a 12 month long deal.

It would have been sanctioned by our (then) new young owner to say "thank you" to Jason

#AZBusinesskillz

It is becoming ever clearer that AZ in his short time in charge of his RFC toy made a number of ill-judged decisions. My pick:
- Roberts decision above (if true)
- sacking McDermott with no real plan for what followed
- appointing Adkins, presumably with a view to a considered change in style and approach, then not following through on it
- wasting money on Drenthe but not keeping proven performers like Kebe and Mariappa
- fill in your own.....

TBF Kebe and Mariappa had made it quite clear that they wanted to be in the PL. AZ and co could not have bought that for them at RFC this season. No matter how much they were offered I think they would have still gone if PL interest (we don't know how much they were offered). What's more I think we would have seen Kebe out injured again a lot this season if he had stayed.

I think he also had a plan for following McDermott but then screwed up by not following through with it in terms of the financial backing that was required.

Extended-Phenotype
Stuka I misread the thread title is "Jason Roberts is nearly black"

I keep reading it as "Jason Roberts merely black".

As do I! That being the case, I'm surprised that JR hasn't complained about the wording of the title!

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 10 Jan 2014 18:12

RoyalBlue
TBF Kebe and Mariappa had made it quite clear that they wanted to be in the PL. AZ and co could not have bought that for them at RFC this season. No matter how much they were offered I think they would have still gone if PL interest (we don't know how much they were offered).

I imagine they had contracts.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Jan 2014 18:31

TFF LOL

Didn't say that.

We'd pay up a percentage of his contact, but not all of it, so say 80/90%. It saves us say £45/50k, plus frees up a place in the squad, committed wages and everything else that's bad about keeping on a player we can't use. Then he's free to earn, over what would've been the remaining six months of his contract, extra from his media work or whatever plus do whatever he wants and invest the £350/400k we've given him upfront to leave. Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to earn £50k from that IMO.

Whilst he's still on our books he costs us a lot more than just what he takes home each week, so even paying him off at 100% probably saves us a decent wedge too.

1871 not 1998

by 1871 not 1998 » 10 Jan 2014 20:41

soggy biscuit Anyone thought that the doctors/physio may have been telling him that he has a chance of coming back from this injury?

Adie Williams heard the opposite. He was told that Roberts knew the severity of the injury and he was advised he wouldn't make a full recovery. It's the clubs fault for offering an aging player a 2 year deal with the option of a 3rd year, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth knowing he took full advantage just to fill his pockets before announcing his retirement. I doubt we'll ever know the truth one way or the other, I'm just glad a million pound will soon be shaved off of the wage bill.

He tweeted tonight that his body may be telling him to pack it in... dropping the soundbites now in readiness for 'the announcement'..

@JasonRoberts30 2h
@stevenmeyer106 I would give anything to be fit..and I was feeling positive up to a week ago!! Maybe my body has had enough!!

starbug

by starbug » 10 Jan 2014 22:38

RoyalBlue
TBF Kebe and Mariappa had made it quite clear that they wanted to be in the PL. AZ and co could not have bought that for them at RFC this season. No matter how much they were offered I think they would have still gone if PL interest (we don't know how much they were offered). What's more I think we would have seen Kebe out injured again a lot this season if he had stayed.

You sure about this? I heard on good authority Mariappa had no wish or desire to move but was basically forced out for the cash. Dont know about Kebe but considering he's just joined dirty Leeds I guess he's not bothered about the Prem either.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Jan 2014 23:44

Dave-Royal Jason Roberts never come back and play for reading his football career over

Aren't the school holidays over? Give it a oxf*rd rest with the "comedy" log-ons.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Jan 2014 10:47

where AZ was wrong was to give Roberts an option that he, the player, could trigger. Options are normally weighted in favour of the club. I have also been told the same thing that Adie had heard.

Mariappa definitely wanted out, not the other way round, as did Kebe.

On, and btw, Alan Hansen is on 1million a year for being on MOTD, with Lineker on 1.5m as host. Not bad money if you can get it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Jan 2014 10:53

Elm Park Old Boy
RoyalBlue
TBF Kebe and Mariappa had made it quite clear that they wanted to be in the PL. AZ and co could not have bought that for them at RFC this season. No matter how much they were offered I think they would have still gone if PL interest (we don't know how much they were offered).

I imagine they had contracts.

Yes no doubt but thanks to a Belgian **** called Bosman they are entirely one way. Club always has to pay out and if a player still wants to walk away from his he either goes on strike or gets 'injured'. Stand up and take a bow Kebe!

starbug
RoyalBlue

You sure about this? I heard on good authority Mariappa had no wish or desire to move but was basically forced out for the cash. Dont know about Kebe but considering he's just joined dirty Leeds I guess he's not bothered about the Prem either.

We had the cash at that point and I seem to remember Adkins making a remark along the lines that he would only select players who were committed to stay at the club (hence Pog not featuring at the start). Furthermore, if we just wanted the cash, why not flog a keeper where we had plenty of class cover, rather than a CB where we had sod all?

So what was your good authority?

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 11 Jan 2014 11:16

3points On, and btw, Alan Hansen is on 1million a year for being on MOTD, with Lineker on 1.5m as host. Not bad money if you can get it.

Not to mention the newspaper columns and the fact that Lineker for instance hosts on other channels like Al Jazeera. Add up all the money they get paid and it's not bad if you are a top pundit certainly.

In related news I saw Roberts on the BBC website talking about Sam Allardyce and how he can lead West Ham to safety. Why is he talking about West Ham? Shouldn't he be focused on Reading while he is still a player at least?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Jan 2014 11:21

1871 not 1998
soggy biscuit Anyone thought that the doctors/physio may have been telling him that he has a chance of coming back from this injury?

Adie Williams heard the opposite. He was told that Roberts knew the severity of the injury and he was advised he wouldn't make a full recovery. It's the clubs fault for offering an aging player a 2 year deal with the option of a 3rd year, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth knowing he took full advantage just to fill his pockets before announcing his retirement. I doubt we'll ever know the truth one way or the other, I'm just glad a million pound will soon be shaved off of the wage bill.

He tweeted tonight that his body may be telling him to pack it in... dropping the soundbites now in readiness for 'the announcement'..

@JasonRoberts30 2h
@stevenmeyer106 I would give anything to be fit..and I was feeling positive up to a week ago!! Maybe my body has had enough!!

If your employer was contractually obliged to pay you what is effectively a years gardening leave or notice period, would you turn it down? No one on here would.

The shareholders and the employer may not like it, but you'd be a complete fool to turn it down for 'the sake of the company profit line'

Kingsley Junior
3points On, and btw, Alan Hansen is on 1million a year for being on MOTD, with Lineker on 1.5m as host. Not bad money if you can get it.

Not to mention the newspaper columns and the fact that Lineker for instance hosts on other channels like Al Jazeera. Add up all the money they get paid and it's not bad if you are a top pundit certainly.

In related news I saw Roberts on the BBC website talking about Sam Allardyce and how he can lead West Ham to safety. Why is he talking about West Ham? Shouldn't he be focused on Reading while he is still a player at least?

FFS

"Jason, what are your views on Big Sam and West Ham this season?"

"Yeah, I'm sure Nigel will do well for Reading by the end of the season..."

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 11 Jan 2014 11:39

Uke
Kingsley Junior

FFS

"Jason, what are your views on Big Sam and West Ham this season?"

"Yeah, I'm sure Nigel will do well for Reading by the end of the season..."

Hmm. Rather longer set of quotes than him just giving a quick reluctant answer to a question when asked. Read the article, he had plenty to say on West Ham. Given the article calls him "Reading striker Jason Roberts" not "BBC pundit Jason Roberts" it would be quite nice for him to keep his views to himself for a change. If he wants the media spotlight, then do us a favour and retire from playing and go full time on the Beeb's wage bill.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jan 2014 11:52

Every week every manager is asked a question(s) at their press conference which are mKing the news that week albeit sackings, bad tackles and the like. Get over it.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 11 Jan 2014 12:03

paultheroyal Every week every manager is asked a question(s) at their press conference which are mKing the news that week albeit sackings, bad tackles and the like. Get over it.

Sorry, I missed the bit where Jason Roberts became a manager and held press conferences. I missed Nick Blackman's press conference too, and Jobi McAnuff's. No, just Jason wasn't it. Therein lies my bugbear which I will get over in my own time thanks.

732 posts