Jason Roberts nearly back

732 posts
TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jason Roberts nearly back

by TFF » 12 Aug 2013 11:11

Alexander Litvinenko But the older you are, the more susceptible you are to both injuries and recurrences of previous injuries and the recovery time from each injury also increases - it';s harder to regain full fitness as well.

Roberts is now 35, and I fear that anyone who sees him as a season-long answer to our problem of a lack of a striker is clutching at straws here.

He's also building up a nice little media career, and has nothing really to prove in the game - what's his motivation for spending the time and effort regaining full match fitness?

If he recovers enough to play again (and I do think it's a big "if" - footballers' tweets can hardly be classed as "reliable evidence") then I can't see him making more than a handful of appearances/sub roles.

I don't think any of that is wrong but the h8 being whipped up by Dellor and co at the weekend is bang out of order.

Roberts is contracted to RFC and doubtless turns up for training/treatment Monday to Friday as required. If the club don't ask him to travel with the team then Saturday is his own time to do what he likes with.

The club took a punt on his age/fitness. It paid off big style with promotion and all the associated revenue. Plenty of RFC players have spent months on the treatment bench without getting dog's abuse. But Roberts is on the radio.

Roberts had a burgeoning media career before he joined RFC. I'm sure his media ambitions and commitments were discussed and agreed at the outset of his employment - in fact, I recall a 606 show which Roberts did live from the Mad post match.

If he spent his weekends parachuting or motorbike racing then it'd be fair enough to have a pop at the fella but bitching and whining cos he's on BBCR5 and Final Score is worse than lame. It stinks of jealousy from our smalltime local radio pundits.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Aug 2013 11:14

Compare and contrast with the free ride being given to JImmy "sicknote" Kébé

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 12 Aug 2013 11:17

TFF
Alexander Litvinenko But the older you are, the more susceptible you are to both injuries and recurrences of previous injuries and the recovery time from each injury also increases - it';s harder to regain full fitness as well.

Roberts is now 35, and I fear that anyone who sees him as a season-long answer to our problem of a lack of a striker is clutching at straws here.

He's also building up a nice little media career, and has nothing really to prove in the game - what's his motivation for spending the time and effort regaining full match fitness?

If he recovers enough to play again (and I do think it's a big "if" - footballers' tweets can hardly be classed as "reliable evidence") then I can't see him making more than a handful of appearances/sub roles.

I don't think any of that is wrong but the h8 being whipped up by Dellor and co at the weekend is bang out of order.

Roberts is contracted to RFC and doubtless turns up for training/treatment Monday to Friday as required. If the club don't ask him to travel with the team then Saturday is his own time to do what he likes with.

The club took a punt on his age/fitness. It paid off big style with promotion and all the associated revenue. Plenty of RFC players have spent months on the treatment bench without getting dog's abuse. But Roberts is on the radio.

Roberts had a burgeoning media career before he joined RFC. I'm sure his media ambitions and commitments were discussed and agreed at the outset of his employment - in fact, I recall a 606 show which Roberts did live from the Mad post match.

If he spent his weekends parachuting or motorbike racing then it'd be fair enough to have a pop at the fella but bitching and whining cos he's on BBCR5 and Final Score is worse than lame. It stinks of jealousy from our smalltime local radio pundits.

Hear hear!

Why the fúck would he be on the treatment table when the physio team are all up North? Why not relax and talk about football on TV/Radio?

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 12 Aug 2013 11:42

FridaysGhost
super darren caskey Will be like having a new signing if he can come back and be as good as he has been for us

I think you may be thinking of Lazarus. Roberts would be at retirement age or 'drop down the leagues' age had he retained a decent level of fitness. As he has just had major surgery, his recovery is the same as any other middle-aged recovery. His Media career is doing well and RFC are a great Pension whilst he is changing careers.

A fit Jason Roberts will be like new signing in the same was as signing Robbie Fowler would!

Note that i said if he could come back and be as good as he has been for us

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2013 12:13

Platypuss Compare and contrast with the free ride being given to JImmy "sicknote" Kébé

I've consistently bemoaned Kebe's injury issues, and the length of time it usually takes him to find his form on his eventual return, but to be fair to him he isn't out there putting his head above the parapet to be shot at.

Roberts is a different character than Kebe and if he wants to take the plaudits and attention, and the trappings of that, when things are going well he needs to be able to put up with a bit of criticism when it's not so rosey.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 12 Aug 2013 12:30

Even if Jason Roberts does regain fitness, he is not likely to be playing 90 minutes for us any time soon. However, if a match got to the 75 minute mark and you were looking for somebody to come on and win the game, would you rather have Roberts or Blackman on the bench? Roberts or Pog? Roberts or ALF? Assuming he does get fit, I'd take Roberts over Blackman or Pog, but ALF over Roberts in that role.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 12 Aug 2013 12:50

He's not a long-term answer but he's certainly an asset with his experience and nous at this level.

Will he come-back fully fit? Like AL I have my doubts but if he has bothered to come back you have to believe it's because he feels he's got something left to give. His media commitments suggest he could have quite easily hung up the boots but the fact he's still here I'd hope suggests the fact that he wants to proove something, either to himself or the fans and if we get 6 good months out of him because of that, I'm all for it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2013 13:16

I'm pretty sure his media commitments aren't going to earn him £25k a week for the next year or give him the best medical help possible to make sure his future health is well taken care of.

Would you give up the chance of earning that kind of money whilst having a year of hanging around the rest of the squad (the bit players miss most when they give up) and getting paid to do a few gym sessions a week?

I wouldn't either.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 12 Aug 2013 13:18

Hoop Blah
Platypuss Compare and contrast with the free ride being given to JImmy "sicknote" Kébé

I've consistently bemoaned Kebe's injury issues, and the length of time it usually takes him to find his form on his eventual return, but to be fair to him he isn't out there putting his head above the parapet to be shot at.

Eh? Roberts re-stating his commitment to getting fit and contributing is somehow a negative?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 13:22

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not genuinely trying to get fit.

I just wonder if he's got the "hunger" that a much younger player would have to get back to fitness when his livelihood depends upon it.

It's not necessarily a conscious thing, but it's got to be harder for someone at his age and in his situation to come back than it would be for someone with their whole career in front of them.

I also wonder if he does come back how much longer he'll last and how effective he'll be.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2013 13:25

Platypuss
Hoop Blah

Eh? Roberts re-stating his commitment to getting fit and contributing is somehow a negative?

Who was talking about this specific artical/comment/tweet as the only evidence of him sticking his head above the parapet?

He's rarely out of the public eye, as opposed to Kebe who we hardly ever hear from. That doesn't mean one is working harder than the other, but the one putting himself out there to make more money and kick start another career off the back of that exposure is going to attract negative comments as well. It's part of the PR game, you can't have the pro's without the con's I'm afraid.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 12 Aug 2013 13:28

Hoop Blah I'm pretty sure his media commitments aren't going to earn him £25k a week for the next year or give him the best medical help possible to make sure his future health is well taken care of.

Would you give up the chance of earning that kind of money whilst having a year of hanging around the rest of the squad (the bit players miss most when they give up) and getting paid to do a few gym sessions a week?

I wouldn't either.

Quite possibly, I'd like to think he's not that cynical but I suppose that's a possibility....

Wouldn't Roberts or the club have just been able to claim on the insurance if his injury was that chronic? Have to admit I've got no idea how such things work.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 13:45

Wimb
Hoop Blah I'm pretty sure his media commitments aren't going to earn him £25k a week for the next year or give him the best medical help possible to make sure his future health is well taken care of.

I wouldn't either.

Quite possibly, I'd like to think he's not that cynical but I suppose that's a possibility....

Wouldn't Roberts or the club have just been able to claim on the insurance if his injury was that chronic? Have to admit I've got no idea how such things work.

Only if they thought it was worth insuring a player at his age - just like with pet insurance, premiums go up the older the insured is.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2013 14:02

Wimb

I wouldn't either.

I've no idea how it actually works, but I'd imagine that the pay off would be lower than the full potential earnings plus, for me, I'd imagine it's the non-financial side of things that also effect things. Pro's love being part of the dressing room and having the profile of being a player as opposed to an ex-player don't they?

Accepting you're past it and physically unable to play is probably quite a big thing for someone in Roberts position too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2013 17:38

Kebe's given years of good service, is hilarious and didn't activate an extra year on his contract when 34/35 whilst suffering from an injury that would see him have no chance of playing for at least six months and had probably all but finished his career.

I have little problem with Roberts media career, outspokenness or quality. But he does rather appear to be using us as a retirement cash cow. Fair enough, he's a professional and has to look after himself. But he's being more cynical than most players we've had IMO (maybe because they didn't get the opportunity) so I'm not really prepared to cut him much slack.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Aug 2013 17:56

It was better when blacks weren't allowed on the mainstream media outlets banging on about wanting equal rights etc.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 12 Aug 2013 17:56

:?

So what should Roberts have done/be doing differently?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 18:14

Perhaps there's something in the detail of the extension that he only gets paid the full whack if he recovers from injury and plays a certain number of games ....?

We maybe learnt from the Glen Little story, where he was injured for so long, we paid for all his treatment over a long-period and then he buggered off to Pompey.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Aug 2013 18:17

Like TSW says though, that's the club's fault if they agreed to such clauses. Reading have exploited or stood by plenty of clauses in the past, so why shouldn't a player? It's laughable to think that Roberts should just retire and walk away from shedloads of future earnings.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 12 Aug 2013 18:37

read that as 'Jason Roberts nearly black'

thought this would be another race rant thread

732 posts