Oman (H)

145 posts
Rfc1987

Re: Oman (H)

by Rfc1987 » 15 Aug 2013 15:09

its due an international break and a long period without a game! its to keep our players match fit for when we restart our promotion campaign.
oxf*rd morons

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 15 Aug 2013 16:09

I really don't get a lot of the hate? It's something a bit different, and I imagine most of those who hate the idea would be sulking even more if it had been another behind closed doors friendly, just enjoy it for what it is!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Aug 2013 16:31

Rfc1987 its due an international break and a long period without a game! its to keep our players match fit for when we restart our promotion campaign.
oxf*rd morons

Yes, Oxford are morons. What's your point?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 Aug 2013 16:42

sandman Are you struggling to know what to get your team for the next international break? Want to show ambition to your loyal fans? Well then why not arrange a match with a middle eastern state? Because nothing says ambition like a friendly with Oman.

Spot on pal.
Can't wait for the game!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2013 18:13

A friendly game in the middle of the season gives us the ideal opportunity for the non-internationalists in our squad to get an injury in a completely needless fixture designed around the laughable concept of increasing the profile of RFC in a country whose interest in the club is currently around the level of interest I show in Equestrianism. Actually, it is even lower than that because I have at least heard of Equestrianism.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2013 18:15

sandman Are you struggling to know what to get your team for the next international break? Want to show ambition to your loyal fans? Well then why not arrange a match with a middle eastern state? Because nothing says ambition like a friendly with Oman.

:lol:

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 15 Aug 2013 18:16

IN

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2013 18:19

winchester_royal a team based in a region where we're trying to gain a decent market foothold

Looking forward to seeing a loud of Arabs strolling around in RFC branded tea-towels round their heads in years to come then.

^ don't write in saying thats racist. Its not.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2013 18:41

floyd__streete
winchester_royal a team based in a region where we're trying to gain a decent market foothold

Looking forward to seeing a loud of Arabs strolling around in RFC branded tea-towels round their heads in years to come then.

Laugh all you want Floyd, but English football is huge out there and it's a rapidly developing market. I bet people like you were lolling away at football clubs reaching out to China 15 years ago

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Aug 2013 18:44

floyd__streete A friendly game in the middle of the season gives us the ideal opportunity for the non-internationalists in our squad to get an injury in a completely needless fixture designed around the laughable concept of increasing the profile of RFC in a country whose interest in the club is currently around the level of interest I show in Equestrianism. Actually, it is even lower than that because I have at least heard of Equestrianism.

You really have become quite pitiful in middle age.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2013 18:45

winchester_royal Laugh all you want Floyd, but English football is huge out there and it's a rapidly developing market. I bet people like you were lolling away at football clubs reaching out to China 15 years ago

Manchester united - YES, Liverpool - YES, Chelsea - YES, Manchester City - YES, Arsenal - YES, Spurs - YES.

Reading - NO.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2013 18:49

floyd__streete
winchester_royal Laugh all you want Floyd, but English football is huge out there and it's a rapidly developing market. I bet people like you were lolling away at football clubs reaching out to China 15 years ago

Manchester united - YES, Liverpool - YES, Chelsea - YES, Manchester City - YES, Arsenal - YES, Spurs - YES.

Reading - NO.

Well, at least the club don't seem to foster that kind of defeatist attitude..

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 15 Aug 2013 22:58

floyd__streete

Reading - NO.

Leading

littlejohnnyoster

by littlejohnnyoster » 15 Aug 2013 23:14

Royalee Really don't see the problem with this, it'll give the players no on international duty match practice, generate interest and revenue for the club meaning we can sign better players. If anyone's against this, go and support a club with no ambition like Swindon.

Playing one friendly against a country which has half the pop of London, in front of a few thousand fans isn't ambitious. Nor is there any evidence it is going to generate revenue. It's just what it is, a pointless but sort of fun way to spend a couple of hours.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Aug 2013 20:58

DaveBanana I really don't get a lot of the hate? It's something a bit different, and I imagine most of those who hate the idea would be sulking even more if it had been another behind closed doors friendly, just enjoy it for what it is!

...or just do something else instead.

It's a friendly that people are free to take or leave. It's not as if we are disrupting out season flying over there to play.

Still, it gives some a bit extra to add their usual quota of things to whinge about this week, so it serves that function too.

I think in the last dozen years or so, only the big 4 type clubs have won more games than us. It's as if some miss having something to really moan about, so they'll take their chances where they can.

I should have whinged as well, really. Then I could have been a Oxf*rded off "newbie" with my 1st post.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Aug 2013 13:26

You moaners should think on. Remember our high-profile games against Dnepr and Genoa in the early 90s? More than 2000 turned up for those and we're now MASSIVE in Russia and Italy.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 17 Aug 2013 18:17

Jerry St Clair You moaners should think on. Remember our high-profile games against Dnepr and Genoa in the early 90s? More than 2000 turned up for those and we're now MASSIVE in Russia and Italy.

What was the long term effect of "George Best's Reading" on our support in New Zealand?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Aug 2013 19:06

Ouroboros Can you support Reading and Swindon at the same time? I'd like to think that would be ok. It might be hard when they play each other though. I guess then I would just support whichever one is the best.

Seen Reading twice and Swindon (Spurs reserves) twice already this season already .I walked across the road often when Di Canio was manager. Compared to overpriced Premiership football some of the football played was sublime. PDC had many faults. However the discipline and fitness levels he imposed on the squad were to be admired.

Now we're back in a competitive league I'll be watching URZ more often again :D

Some of the Spurs kids would make good signings once they've gained experience and physical strength. Technically better than Readings youngsters in my opinion.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Aug 2013 17:22

Jerry St Clair You moaners should think on. Remember our high-profile games against Dnepr and Genoa in the early 90s? More than 2000 turned up for those and we're now MASSIVE in Russia and Italy.

You are bang WRONG - Dnepropetrovsk is actually in Ukraine.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 19 Aug 2013 18:28

winchester_royal
floyd__streete

Laugh all you want Floyd, but English football is huge out there and it's a rapidly developing market. I bet people like you were lolling away at football clubs reaching out to China 15 years ago

LOL @ 'out there'

there's only one real market with a big enough population to make any real impact in the GCC and that's Saudi. I'm sure this is just a marketing sop from Anton's backers to a country whose ruler is fabulously wealthy and has likely cut them a deal or some such.

145 posts