The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Elm Park Kid » 25 May 2021 15:22

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
SpaghettiHoop It shows how unfit for purpose the FFP rules are. They prevent new investment in the sport.

Agree, FFP is just there to maintain the status quo so that all the smaller clubs stay smaller. The whole system should be taken down and scrapped.

It's not investment. It's financial doping.

FFP allows clubs to inject vast amounts of money beyond their income continually. We've just done vastly more than allowed.

It's to stop clubs going into financial armageddon

I agree.

I understand why people can look at this situation and ask how it is that FFP doesn't allow the owners to fund even the wages of the players we have, let alone the ones we might need to compete in the league. But the reality is that wages have only gotten to this level due to the impact of rich 'investors'. If we're allowed to pump in more money, that means everyone else is as well and we'll just get to a point where wages are pushed up even more.

How would it feel to be a fan of a club that are trying to do things 'properly'? Spending only what you're raising in income; investing in the youth squad, working hard with scouts to find cheaper talent in the lower leagues and trusting your manager to eventually get the best out of all of them. You do that for 2-3 years and start doing well - then clubs like Reading comes along splashing millions of pounds around and picking off your squad one by one. It's like that Mitchell and Webb sketch where you have to start asking . . . . Are we the baddies?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 May 2021 15:40

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Agree, FFP is just there to maintain the status quo so that all the smaller clubs stay smaller. The whole system should be taken down and scrapped.

It's not investment. It's financial doping.

FFP allows clubs to inject vast amounts of money beyond their income continually. We've just done vastly more than allowed.

I agree.

I understand why people can look at this situation and ask how it is that FFP doesn't allow the owners to fund even the wages of the players we have, let alone the ones we might need to compete in the league. But the reality is that wages have only gotten to this level due to the impact of rich 'investors'. If we're allowed to pump in more money, that means everyone else is as well and we'll just get to a point where wages are pushed up even more.

How would it feel to be a fan of a club that are trying to do things 'properly'? Spending only what you're raising in income; investing in the youth squad, working hard with scouts to find cheaper talent in the lower leagues and trusting your manager to eventually get the best out of all of them. You do that for 2-3 years and start doing well - then clubs like Reading comes along splashing millions of pounds around and picking off your squad one by one. It's like that Mitchell and Webb sketch where you have to start asking . . . . Are we the baddies?

I feel like we're basically QPR of a few seasons ago, tried to overspend to get in the Prem and now trying to reign it back now that it has failed. I agree with the principal of FFP but it is at times too inflexible which contributes to this overarching view that it favours the big teams.

The number 1 issue that has caused the financial situation in the Championship is the grossly uneven distribution of money across the leagues, it affects even those not chasing the Premier League honeypot because every time there is a wage hike in the Prem, it trickles down to the Championship but incomes don't rise at the same rate.

Then you have parachute payments where they once served the purpose to stop relegated teams imploding, they now just give them a bigger financial cushion to outspend their divisional rivals.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 May 2021 14:31

tidus_mi2
Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal It's not investment. It's financial doping.

I agree.

I feel like we're basically QPR of a few seasons ago, tried to overspend to get in the Prem and now trying to reign it back now that it has failed. I agree with the principal of FFP but it is at times too inflexible which contributes to this overarching view that it favours the big teams.

The number 1 issue that has caused the financial situation in the Championship is the grossly uneven distribution of money across the leagues, it affects even those not chasing the Premier League honeypot because every time there is a wage hike in the Prem, it trickles down to the Championship but incomes don't rise at the same rate.

Then you have parachute payments where they once served the purpose to stop relegated teams imploding, they now just give them a bigger financial cushion to outspend their divisional rivals.

Personally I don't have a big problem with the 'big' clubs having a natural advantage. Clubs with more fans and higher income should be able to outspend the rest, it's the reward for growing your club and attracting fans over decades. But that sort of financial advantage doesn't guarantee success, there is still enough randomness in the game to make it competitive. It's only when you can outspend your rivals multiple times due to outside 'investment' that it becomes an issue in our league - something that FFP is suppose to stop but doesn't.

The parachute payment system is fundamentally flawed. There obviously has to be something to stop clubs being bankrupted by trying to pay PL wages on Championship income. But that could be resolved through mandatory relegation clauses and compensation payments direct to the affected players - rather than giving clubs millions to spend as they see fit.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 26 May 2021 20:55

Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers Play-off semi`s are
Stoke v Sunderland
Crystal Palace v Wolves
only 1 game
Leeds and the play-off winner go up to Div 1 and Southampton and Leicester will play in div 2 next season.

Final is Palace v Sunderland

Palace won on Pens- Interesting that the 2 new Cat 1 academies in their 1st season in PL 2 got promoted. Burnley were the other new Cat 1 in the division and they didn’t do to badly.

2 new Cat 1 academies announced today- Birmingham and Notts Forest.unless any team loses Cat 1 status it could mean Sunderland move up and the new teams go into Div 2.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 May 2021 11:19

Congratulations to Jökull Andrésson on his first call up to the Iceland U21 squad!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkReading/ ... 6614052864

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Jun 2021 16:15

Apparently Reading U 23`s have signed 19 year old right winger Herve Malebe on a free from PSG.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jun 2021 16:44

"We've got Malebe, Herve Malebe..."

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2021 17:39

Our last signing from PSG has done all right

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Jun 2021 20:06

Royals and Racers Apparently Reading U 23`s have signed 19 year old right winger Herve Malebe on a free from PSG.

ITK Eddie says

This lad had a trial with #ReadingFC but did not sign for us.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ajonesrfc/st ... 8973078531

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 26 Jul 2021 15:39

U23`s fixtures for the 1st 3 months. 13 home league fixtures in total- 10 to be played at the Select car Leasing stadium(7pm) and 3 at Bearwood(daytime) - the 3 Bearwood games are Forest in September, Villa in November and WBA in April.
August
Mon 16th Newcastle A
Mon 23rd Wolves H
Mon 30th Stoke A
September
Sun 12th Notts Forest H
Mon 20th Norwich H
Mon 27th Burnley A
October
Mon 4th Birmingham H
Fri 15th Fulham A
Mon 25th Southampton H

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Jul 2021 10:49

Pendlebury doing well at Wycombe - did we release or did he just not sign on again?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2021 10:54

Mid Sussex Royal Pendlebury doing well at Wycombe - did we release or did he just not sign on again?

Is pre-season really the time to judge if a player is doing well?

Hope he goes on to have a great career and L1 is probably the right level for him at this stage in his development.

We released him as I imagine we didn't see him as being in a position to make a positive contribution to the first team in the near future.

Seagull Statto

by Seagull Statto » 30 Jul 2021 19:04

Reading U-23s were beaten 3-1 by a Brighton and Hove Albion side in Sussex today, for anyone interested:-

Albion under-23s see off Reading in pre-season win

Gallery: Royals beaten in pre-season build up

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Aug 2021 20:04

U23s playing Maidenhead this evening, just seen they've gone 1-nil up

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2021 20:38

morganb U23s playing Maidenhead this evening, just seen they've gone 1-nil up

Any ideas of the team?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Aug 2021 21:13

Hound

Any ideas of the team?

Sorry, no idea - just have alerts on in Flash Score, it's 1-1 now. The only Reading player I know is there is James Holden on the Maidenhead bench, as they published a team sheet.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 06 Aug 2021 21:48

morganb
Hound

Any ideas of the team?

Sorry, no idea - just have alerts on in Flash Score, it's 1-1 now. The only Reading player I know is there is James Holden on the Maidenhead bench, as they published a team sheet.

my mate went and this could have been how we started
Boyce-Clark
lackey
Bristow
Dorsett
Stickland
Abbey
Camara
McNaulty
Ehibhatiomhan
Sackey
Gomes

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Aug 2021 22:24

Royals and Racers
morganb
Hound
Any ideas of the team?

my mate went and this could have been how we started
Boyce-Clark
lackey
Bristow
Dorsett
Stickland
Abbey
Camara
McNaulty
Ehibhatiomhan
Sackey
Gomes

Surely some of these will need to be on the bench tomorrow?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Aug 2021 07:14

We quite often had players on the bench last season that had played 90 for the u23s the day before.

Looking forward to seeing lackey and sackey in the first team together in the future

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Aug 2021 08:01

Simon's Church We quite often had players on the bench last season that had played 90 for the u23s the day before.

Looking forward to seeing lackey and sackey in the first team together in the future

Yeh, fair point, guess they'll just have to travel up this morning.

Ha, genuinely thought Lackey was a typo as I didn't go down as far as Sackey.

7490 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:54