The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7492 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Simon's Church » 23 Aug 2020 07:34

Royals and Racers
morganb http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/august/22/match-report

5-0 defeat v Fulham. No idea of the Reading team as this report from the Fulham site.

Were you being kind :D the report says 6-0

But then only describes 5 goals, strange.

Could be a long old season for the u23 and u18s, both are gonna be pretty inexperienced I imagine.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2020 15:08

Simon's Church
Royals and Racers
morganb http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/august/22/match-report

5-0 defeat v Fulham. No idea of the Reading team as this report from the Fulham site.

Were you being kind :D the report says 6-0

But then only describes 5 goals, strange.

Could be a long old season for the u23 and u18s, both are gonna be pretty inexperienced I imagine.

6-0 “Four goals from Fabio Carvalho and one each for Jean-Pierre Tiehi and Ben Davis secured a comfortable win for the side.”

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2020 15:34

Very young Reading side by all accounts.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 Sep 2020 08:09

Premier league 2 div 2 fixtures out here https://www.readingfc.co.uk/matches/under-23-fixtures/
1st match is away to Norwich on Monday September 14th KO 7pm. 1st home match is Friday September 18th KO 1pm.
This is from the Reading FC article.

Due to the ongoing situation, there have been some changes in relation to host venues and match arrangements. There is no obligation to play any fixtures at main stadia this season and no limit on the number of fixtures played at training grounds. The Premier League have also afforded flexibility over kick-off times in order to minimize the requirement of overnight stays, wherever possible.

Fixtures across the division are scheduled to take place over the course of any given long weekend (between Friday and the following Monday); at present, all of our home fixtures have provisionally been pencilled in for 1pm kick-offs on Friday afternoons at Bearwood.

Information about our Under-23s’ involvement in cup competitions for this season will be announced in due course.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Sep 2020 09:49

Understandable decision, but boo :cry:

Hope they stream matches at Bearwood.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 Sep 2020 11:00

SCIAG Understandable decision, but boo :cry:

Hope they stream matches at Bearwood.

Yes hopefully.
Some new teams we are playing this season in Div 2
West Ham and Man Utd were promoted to Div 1
Wolves were relegated from Div 1
Leeds, Crystal Palace and Burnley have joined Div 2
Swansea lost Cat 1 and are out of Div 2- so it`s now 13 teams - 1 more than in 2019/20

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Sep 2020 14:18

https://mobile.twitter.com/ExclusivesFc ... 4709101568

Good to see that the U23s will kick off the season on 14th September with Mehmet Ali and Peter Scott in charge

(Not sure where this info originated)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Sep 2020 11:04

So Holsgrove has gone permanently to Spain as per the OS.

Seems odd to me that we never gave him a chance here. Have we received a lot of money for him? Doubtful I would have thought. Or do we simply think he is not good enough.

We have had a lot of Academy lads break through but increasingly there is a list of players such as Stacey, Fosu and Dickie that we seem to have let go far too quickly without giving them a chance. We have also lost the likes of Loader and Osho as they felt that their chance of playing here would be too limited. I for one would love to see a Reading first team made up of mostly Academy players but owners these days (not just at Reading) don't seem to want to play the long game and just want instant glory.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Sep 2020 11:12

andrew1957 So Holsgrove has gone permanently to Spain as per the OS.

Seems odd to me that we never gave him a chance here. Have we received a lot of money for him? Doubtful I would have thought. Or do we simply think he is not good enough.

We have had a lot of Academy lads break through but increasingly there is a list of players such as Stacey, Fosu and Dickie that we seem to have let go far too quickly without giving them a chance. We have also lost the likes of Loader and Osho as they felt that their chance of playing here would be too limited. I for one would love to see a Reading first team made up of mostly Academy players but owners these days (not just at Reading) don't seem to want to play the long game and just want instant glory.

I think it might be a case of that he just wasn't going to get a look in this season and the offer probably worked for all parties.

As I said on another thread, hopefully we have put a sell on % or a buy back clause in the contract, just in case.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Sep 2020 11:39

In the case of all the players mentioned isn't it just as much the case that the players themselves don't want to "play the long game" every bit as much as the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Sep 2020 14:10

Three academy products start most games (Richards, Olise, Rinomhota) then you have McIntyre stepping in for Moore or Morrison (and maybe even regularly keeping one of them out before long) and Southwood now seemingly the no.2 keeper. Don’t think you can really ask for much more and keep Reading in with a chance of a fight for a top half finish. That said the club could do with getting a quality striker to come through (might that be Nevers or Melvin-Lambert)?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Sep 2020 14:28

Sutekh

Three academy products start most games (Richards, Olise, Rinomhota) then you have McIntyre stepping in for Moore or Morrison (and maybe even regularly keeping one of them out before long) and Southwood now seemingly the no.2 keeper. Don’t think you can really ask for much more and keep Reading in with a chance of a fight for a top half finish. That said the club could do with getting a quality striker to come through (might that be Nevers or Melvin-Lambert)?

Nevers seems to have disappeared, not seen any mention of him (or Dorsett/Lawless who seemed to be on the fringes of the first team last season) training with the first team or playing for the U23s?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2020 17:51

Holsgrove is a real shame. Victim of signing Ejaria / not selling Swift for sure.

Would have really liked to see him getting sub appearances and cup games.

An injury to Rino or Laurent and we're looking light on box to box / defensive minded players, Swift and it's a bit sketchy on a play maker, which is where I'd have thought Holsgrove fit in.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Sep 2020 18:01

Simon's Church Nevers seems to have disappeared, not seen any mention of him (or Dorsett/Lawless who seemed to be on the fringes of the first team last season) training with the first team or playing for the U23s?

Somehwat cryptic tweet from Nevers yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ThierryNevers/statu ... 8841311232
"Don’t underachieve while being overlooked"

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Sep 2020 21:38

U 23`s league season gets underway tomorrow night away at Norwich KO 7pm. If the Reading FC media department don`t cover the game, updates will be available here https://twitter.com/NorwichCityAcad

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Sep 2020 19:17

Norwich 1 Reading 0 15 mins- no idea who is playing for Reading- Norwich yes !!
Azeez is playing- he`s just been booked.
2-0 29 mins

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Sep 2020 19:54

H-T 2-0
3-0 64 mins
F-T 3-0

Team
Boyce- Clarke
Harry
Pendlebury
Hewitt
Samuels
Azeez
Onen
Ashcroft
Asose
Lawless
McGiff
subs
Ehibhaimha
Holden
Melvin- lambert
Puccell
Talent

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Sep 2020 11:22

Strange that Melvin Lambert was given a squad number but has still never played for the U23s. Also that Samuels travelled with the first team all pre-season, then immediately dropped behind Bristow.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Sep 2020 11:42

Simon's Church Strange that Melvin Lambert was given a squad number but has still never played for the U23s. Also that Samuels travelled with the first team all pre-season, then immediately dropped behind Bristow.

Being rested for when Joao gets injured.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2020 12:37

Simon's Church Strange that Melvin Lambert was given a squad number but has still never played for the U23s. Also that Samuels travelled with the first team all pre-season, then immediately dropped behind Bristow.

It's almost like something changed at the club between pre-season and the first game.

:wink:

7492 posts