The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7491 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Hound » 09 Nov 2021 13:30

Snowflake Royal Random thought... who in the youth set up has been semi regular in the England youth set up?

I know Loader was... I just wonder if there's a correlation there with being quality and not doing the business for us by getting head turned and an ego.

Happened with Shorey and the full squad. Could make a case for similar with Loader....

But that could just be confirmation bias.

To be fair, Loader had been talked up for a long time, and not just because of England set up links. Not sure who are currently in age group squads (CBC I think, not sure who else), but also think Nolan and Pendlebury were, and they obvs didnt really work out - here at least.

Clarke does appear to have been a bit under the radar, but thats also a reminder that he is so young to be considered at first team level

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2021 13:34

piqued a bit of interest so had a look

Imari Samuels and CBC in U19
Princewill Ehabhatiomhan in U17

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Nov 2021 11:44

Next Monday is the 15th, so the U23`s must be playing !!- this time away to Derby in the PL Cup qualifying group C( played 2 points 3). KO 7pm at the Loughborough University stadium

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Nov 2021 19:02

Southwood was an England U19 and U20 international. Going back a bit, so was Robson-Kanu. Richards had one U21 cap. Unless you're suggesting there's something inherent to England, I'd also point out that Michael Olise has been a French youth international for a long time. Quite a lot of our successful youngsters have had Ireland or Scotland or Wales call-ups.

There have been quite a few over the years and it's never been a great indication that they'd make it. At the time I made a big thing on here about how ridiculous it was that Jack Mills and Angus MacDonald were getting call-ups ahead of Michael Hector, but at the time the U19s management was a bit shambolic and most clubs seemed to have similar stories to tell. Another one is Ethan Coleman and Harry Philby getting called up for England U16s. Coleman made our bench a few times iirc, but Philby was a centre back the same age as Tom Holmes, Akin Odimayo, and Andre Burley and never even made a Reading bench. In fairness Holmes was injured at the time, but I've always just viewed England call-ups below U21 level as basically random, at least until fairly recently.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2021 17:45

SCIAG Southwood was an England U19 and U20 international. Going back a bit, so was Robson-Kanu. Richards had one U21 cap. Unless you're suggesting there's something inherent to England, I'd also point out that Michael Olise has been a French youth international for a long time. Quite a lot of our successful youngsters have had Ireland or Scotland or Wales call-ups.

There have been quite a few over the years and it's never been a great indication that they'd make it. At the time I made a big thing on here about how ridiculous it was that Jack Mills and Angus MacDonald were getting call-ups ahead of Michael Hector, but at the time the U19s management was a bit shambolic and most clubs seemed to have similar stories to tell. Another one is Ethan Coleman and Harry Philby getting called up for England U16s. Coleman made our bench a few times iirc, but Philby was a centre back the same age as Tom Holmes, Akin Odimayo, and Andre Burley and never even made a Reading bench. In fairness Holmes was injured at the time, but I've always just viewed England call-ups below U21 level as basically random, at least until fairly recently.

Definitely suggesting inherent to England.

You're not going to become bill big bollox representing.Scotland :lol:

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 11 Nov 2021 22:51

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Southwood was an England U19 and U20 international. Going back a bit, so was Robson-Kanu. Richards had one U21 cap. Unless you're suggesting there's something inherent to England, I'd also point out that Michael Olise has been a French youth international for a long time. Quite a lot of our successful youngsters have had Ireland or Scotland or Wales call-ups.

Kenney Dalgleish, Graeme Souness, Denis Law, etc and probably the best of them Jim Baxter

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2021 23:31

72 bus
Snowflake Royal

Kenney Dalgleish, Graeme Souness, Denis Law, etc and probably the best of them Jim Baxter

Yeah, we know the 70s and 80s were more your kind of decade.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Nov 2021 14:30

Snowflake Royal

France?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2021 18:23

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal

France?

They have a more laissez faire attitude.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Nov 2021 18:53

Collins
Abrefa
Ashcroft
Purcell
Senga
Holzman
Scott
Osorio
Ehibhatiomhan
Camara
Vickers
SUBS
Rowley
Abdel-Salam
Talent-Aryeetey
Nyarko
Campbell

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Nov 2021 19:04

Derby 1 Reading 0 1 min
2-0 43 mins
h-t 2-0
2-1 84 mins Senga
F-T 2-1

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Nov 2021 21:42

No Arauna tonight. Injured again or not wanting to get him injured as he's back in the first team squad?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Nov 2021 22:16

morganb No Arauna tonight. Injured again or not wanting to get him injured as he's back in the first team squad?

Wasn`t anywhere to be seen last Monday either.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 Nov 2021 13:28

6 mins of highlights from last night's match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1Tn7qk5nk

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Nov 2021 14:50

Royals and Racers
morganb No Arauna tonight. Injured again or not wanting to get him injured as he's back in the first team squad?

And relax.... He's in the Andy Carroll training highlight video https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/st ... 2908627978 at 3:56

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Nov 2021 15:07

morganb
Royals and Racers

And relax.... He's in the Andy Carroll training highlight video https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/st ... 2908627978 at 3:56

Well Carroll looks in thoroughly decent nick on there. Obvs match fitness will be missing but wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench within the next couple of games.

Nice to see Drinkwater and Tetek involved in there fully as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2021 15:18

Hound
morganb
Royals and Racers Wasn`t anywhere to be seen last Monday either.

Well Carroll looks in thoroughly decent nick on there. Obvs match fitness will be missing but wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench within the next couple of games.

I will be very surprised if he doesn't at least make the bench on Saturday but guess it is possible he waits until the Sheffield game. Would love a Puscas/Carroll front 2 but don't see that happening sadly.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 Nov 2021 21:12

FA Youth cup 3rd round draw done today. Reading fc away to Bromley who beat FGR in 2nd round tonight.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Nov 2021 09:42

Hound
morganb
Royals and Racers Wasn`t anywhere to be seen last Monday either.

No sign of Puscas in that video though!

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Nov 2021 10:46

Royalwaster
Hound
morganb

No sign of Puscas in that video though!

It would have needed a long lens to see him in Romania :wink:

7491 posts