Peterborough (A) Match Thread Sponsored by COC (lol)

615 posts
LittlePosh

Re: Peterborough (A) Match Thread Sponsored by COC (lol)

by LittlePosh » 29 Aug 2013 10:42

Hi Guys

Posh fan here thought I'd let the dust settle after Tuesday

First we made 4 changes from our usual starting line up Tuesday

Next apologies to the Reading fans I was speaking to walking to ground for the idiotic behavior of a few small minded so called Posh fans for the spitting and abuse

Next all you Reading fans who did not travel should be proud of those that did they were a credit to your club

Next sorry but I really did enjoy the game for us to make 4 changes and play as well if not better than last Saturday when we beat a poor (it must be said) Tranmere team 0-5 was incredible

Finally good luck for the season hopefully we'll both have a good 'un

Oh and yes Sunderland away :cry: maybe we did get the short straw :shock:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 29 Aug 2013 10:53

Hi LittlePosh, welcome to the board and thanks for your contribution.

Good luck in the next round.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 29 Aug 2013 10:57

Hi Littleposh

Question - is Assombalonga as fat in real life as he looks in the picture? (page 29)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 11:00

lol

LittlePosh

by LittlePosh » 29 Aug 2013 11:03

TBM Hi Littleposh

Question - is Assombalonga as fat in real life as he looks in the picture? (page 29)

Are you mixing up Assombalonga (the black striker) with Tomlin (the white striker, well plays off the strikers scored a hat trick Tuesday night) whatever I wish I was as fat as either of them :)

Lee Tomlin on page 29 and no he's not fat Celtic are trying to sign him offered 4m but we wont sell, him Fergie has stated he's going nowhere we don't need the money after Palace paid 6.5m for Gayle can't help thinking Hollaway got mugged even though Gayle was a great player for us, got him from Daggers was only with us for 6 months a year ago he was playing in non league then half a season with Daggers and half a season with us we paid 400k for him

bikinired

by bikinired » 29 Aug 2013 11:48

Another Posh fan here with my thoughts on Tuesday. I have a soft spot for Reading having been at University in Reading and spent many a cold wet night at Elm Park (yes, I'm that old!). Anyway, here goes:

Firstly, a bit of credit for the Posh. We lost the first 7 games of last season. Even if we had only picked up one point from those games we would have stayed up. In the last game at Palace we were 2-1 up with 7 minutes left. With 1 minute left it was 2-2 and we were safe. We got relegated. In retrospect this may not have been a bad thing. On our form in 2013 we were a top 8 Championship team. When we've been in the Championship previously I think the team has viewed it as a novelty and didn't really think they belonged. After performances in 2013 in the Championship I think the players have divested this mindset and realised they are now a Championship team in the wrong League (and this is no disrespect to the other decent "proper" football clubs in League One). In the first 5 games of the season we've been playing OK in places, banging in a few and then seeing the game out. On Tuesday we played full on for 90 minutes possibly because you are a Championship team and Posh wanted to show they were half decent. Having said that here's my comments on Reading:

1. The goals. Having a slow day at work I read all the posts in this thread. I don't understand the background to why a few posters seem to have it in for Federici. He could have done better for the first but the defender should never have let Assombalonga turn him so easily. For those of you who weren't at London Road, believe me, without him it would have been 9 not 6. Lee Tomlin's goal for the second was a "worldie" and I don't think you can blame the keeper. The 3rd goal was a shocker - you let a guy run 70 yards with a 3 in 1 in your favour and if you watch the highlights the attempted challenges are so pathetic he has time to take a step back to get the shot away. No.4 - stonewall penalty. No.5 - personally I wouldn't have given it as our 15 stone 6ft 3 forward went down like a sack of spuds but, having said that, he was having his shirt tugged. No. 6 - I think blaming Federici is harsh as it was a belter.

2. Your application. This is the real issue. I've seen Posh v Reading games for over 30 years and you always think "This ain't gonna be easy". You always know Reading are gonna turn up and compete. After we beat you 3-1 in your promotion season to the Prem our centre half, Gaby Zakuani, tweeted afterwards "need to rest for 24 hours - just been in a boxing match with Jason Roberts for 90 minutes". Tuesday night was the first time I've seen a Reading team at London Road who didn't put in a shift. The thing our team learned in the Championship last season was that teams close you down fast when you lose the ball. We've retained that knowledge and, yes, we have goals in us, but we're beating teams by closing down and getting possession back. on Tuesday the Royals were woeful at this. No effort, no application. I'm aware you get more possession in the Premiership but you won't win many games if you can't be bothered to get the ball back.

3. The Players. On the basis of that team you need to shift at least 5-6 out. I didn't even notice Pogrebnyak was playing until the 90th minute. Total waste of a shirt. Ferguson made 4 changes from Saturday and I can't see that team changing now. We had more pace in midfield than earlier in the season.

4. Britt Assombalonga/Lee Tomlin - Britt is definitely black! The picture on this thread is Lee Tomlin. Britt will be gone from us next summer. He cost £1.25m (allegedly) and will score 30 for us if he stays fit. Tomlin is mercurial but if you think he's fat now you should have seen him in previous seasons. he'll also be gone next summer for upwards of £4m.

5. Adkins. His previous record at London Road was played 4. Won 3. Drawn 1. I''m pretty sure he won't have enjoyed Tuesday night.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope you get promoted but unless you put in a shift it will be difficult.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 29 Aug 2013 12:04

Good (and repeated) use of "put in a shift"

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 29 Aug 2013 12:07

Useful contributions from the Posh fans, pretty much ties in with what our fans have said. I liked the use of the phrase 'pace in midfield' since I have never seen it used in any context on our site.

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 29 Aug 2013 12:46

Yup. Good, reflective, non gloating responses.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 13:17

Posh are now my second team.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 13:18

Third team actually, after Spurs.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Aug 2013 13:18

COYS 8)

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 Aug 2013 13:36

Pepe the Horseman COYS 8)

Hear hear, looking forward to a new team winning the Premier League this season

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Aug 2013 15:18

Gordons Cumming That's a strong team with alot to prove.

Wont be easy for Posh.

How wrong can someone be? :roll:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 29 Aug 2013 15:27

Gordons Cumming
Gordons Cumming That's a strong team with alot to prove.

Wont be easy for Posh.

How wrong can someone be? :roll:

:lol:

Don't quit the day job just yet then GC.

615 posts