Squad review now transfer window has closed

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad review now transfer window has closed

by floyd__streete » 04 Sep 2013 18:35

Lower West Against Yeovil there was little/no central midfield cover. Guthrie/Karacan aren't a polished duo yet either.

That was kind of what I was referring to when I said that defending also takes place higher up the pitch. Adkins sides are far too open for my liking, and we haven't got the quality in the squad to dominate teams with our passing game.....

Worryingly, for me, at this moment in time it feel to me like:

Adkins at Reading =/= Brendan Rodgers at Reading.

A loud of management-speak waffle and mediocre results. Targets not acheived in the market. Playing style that the squad are unable to ever achieve.

Plenty of time for Adkins to prove this theory wrong, of course.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Sep 2013 18:37

Once were Biscuitmen SHopefully all the types that text Sky Sports News to ask where they, 'reckon the parachute payments have gone' will be so appalled they will stop going

Yeah thats what we need isn't it. An owner seemingly unable to invest decent money in the squad. Hopefully fewer people will attend matches, that will help no end :|

Fan oneupmanship = :roll:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Sep 2013 18:45

floyd__streete Worryingly, for me, at this moment in time it feel to me like:

A loud of management-speak waffle and mediocre results. Targets not acheived in the market. Playing style that the squad are unable to ever achieve.

I think you're trying to hard here. There are few compArisons to be made IMHO . Rodgers was pure empty .
waffle whereas Adkins says less and has a cv to back what he does say
Adkins also clearly does have players who can play his way. We're not consistent yet but Adkins team has delivered performances way ahead of Rodgers era.

Davezk

by Davezk » 04 Sep 2013 18:46

Alex Pearce = the next John Terry

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 04 Sep 2013 19:14

Nameless
floyd__streete Worryingly, for me, at this moment in time it feel to me like:

I think you're trying to hard here. There are few compArisons to be made IMHO . Rodgers was pure empty .
waffle whereas Adkins says less and has a cv to back what he does say
Adkins also clearly does have players who can play his way. We're not consistent yet but Adkins team has delivered performances way ahead of Rodgers era.

Yeah, Rodgers was empty waffle as he clearly didn't know anything about football. I mean, where is he now eh ? He'll never make it in the game

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Sep 2013 21:17

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal I was going to deconstruct why you've described your own post in your first word 2ww1wc. But really, I'd be pissing into the wind. So I can't be arsed.

I'll just point out that sacking McDermott was entirely in the Reading Way. See Bullivant, Burns, Rodgers.
I'll add that our wage bill is consistently in the top half dozen or so in this league. Wages are more important than transfer fees. So it is an utter fallacy that McDermott operated on a shoestring budget.
It is not a miracle to take a team who finished in the top six and got to the Play Off Final the previous season to promotion. It's a miracle to take a team who finished 21st the previous season to promotion, without a significant increase in wages.

Finally. At no point, has anyone at the club said there will be a change in the Reading Way. In fact quite the reverse. Zingaravich has been quite clear the club will be run in the same way. The only differences are, higher wage bill, investment in infrastructure and the club can run at a loss if necessary without having to tout players to make up the short fall.

If you are more than mildly disappointed in this start and transfer window. Then you only have yourself to blame for deluding yourself into thinking something significantly different would happen.

"100 goals and 21 clean sheets" I hear you cry. "Champions" you say. Grow up, and stop taking everything at face value, I say.

With you most of the way.
But the Manager/Zingarevich must take responsibility for raising the hopes of fans.
As someone else already pointed out it was a total PR fail, you're supposed to 'under-promise and over-deliver'.
Whats all this bollocks about "you deluded yourself". oxf*rd off! The club raised my expectations and didn't deliver.

Even putting aside the clubs previous statements about signing players, the failure to sign a striker is still a oxf*rd up.
We needed to buy a striker to have any hope of success and we didn't. Regardless of whether it was likely that the club would sign a striker it is still something I'm disappointed and annoyed about.

Why is it not possible to be disappointed by something even if it is a likely scenario anyway?
Every time I read a post of yours Ian Royal I am disappointed by you, yet this is fully expected. Am I deluded?

The club has a message to sell to gain support. I have no goal to achieve other than to shit my mind out my fingers and hopefully be right. Under promise, overchieve is great customer service. But it fails to deliver on the strategic level. It's purely tactical at best. And this is what fans have to accept. The club is going to state its aims it's not going to play things down in laconic fashion. It's going to sell the dream, which is strategically spot on.

The lack of striker is worry. No doubt. But it's not that straight forward. And we've still got about 10 days before our next competitive match. So it's not like we're stuck with what we'#ve got until January.

All I (and others) ask for. Is for our fans to have some sort of functioning sense of perspective. That's all. It's not a great deal.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Sep 2013 23:31

Has Adkins said that his main inspiration is conversations with Steve McClaren and Alex McLeish yet?