NH on Radio Berkshire

175 posts
Davezk

NH on Radio Berkshire

by Davezk » 04 Sep 2013 08:26

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...

What is he saying on Radio Berkshire this morning? I can't listen to it as don't live in the catchment area.

How is he defending the lack of players coming in despite others saying 3 / 7 players would be signed before the window closed?

Thanks.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: NH on Radio Berkshire

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Sep 2013 08:40

Davezk Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...

What is he saying on Radio Berkshire this morning? I can't listen to it as don't live in the catchment area.

How is he defending the lack of players coming in despite others saying 3 / 7 players would be signed before the window closed?

Thanks.

You obviously have the internet, so why not listen on line?

Basically he gave the same old story, we have made three very good signings, the loan window opens next week, we didn't miss out on any deals on deadline day, etc, etc....

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 04 Sep 2013 08:41

Based only on whats been put on twitter, we are not in a position financially to purchase a striker.. really. No one seems to have mentioned much else so Im assuming either it was a super short interview or he'll be back on in a bit.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Sep 2013 08:46

Snippets of interview with him during the morning on Andrew Peach show - basically kept going on about how they'd been talking to Sissoko and he had seen the set-up here - seemed clear to me it was just a bit of spin and NH doesn't think we'll get him, but thinks it will keep us quiet because we've been talking to him, thus showing our intent. I think it basically boils down to the fact that we can't afford the players we want - though no-one seems to admit that. :roll: Ady also played clips of AZ talking about bringing more players in and also NA talking about the same - NH said he could understand fans' frustrations, but we have bought in Drenthe, Williams and Bridge. Nothing was said that I didn't expect tbh.

Davezk

by Davezk » 04 Sep 2013 08:56

Wycombe Royal
Davezk Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...

Thanks.

You obviously have the internet, so why not listen on line?

Basically he gave the same old story, we have made three very good signings, the loan window opens next week, we didn't miss out on any deals on deadline day, etc, etc....

Usually my efforts to listen via the internet are prevented 'due to BBC contractual reasons'. Don't think I've ever managed to get it to work - thought it would be easier to ask here.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 04 Sep 2013 09:01

Royal Lady Snippets of interview with him during the morning on Andrew Peach show - basically kept going on about how they'd been talking to Sissoko and he had seen the set-up here - seemed clear to me it was just a bit of spin and NH doesn't think we'll get him, but thinks it will keep us quiet because we've been talking to him, thus showing our intent. I think it basically boils down to the fact that we can't afford the players we want - though no-one seems to admit that. :roll: Ady also played clips of AZ talking about bringing more players in and also NA talking about the same - NH said he could understand fans' frustrations, but we have bought in Drenthe, Williams and Bridge. Nothing was said that I didn't expect tbh.

I think most players did not believe we would be going up this year. Our results and performances this year and our insistence of not going over the odds have left us in this position. It was interesting to see that we could not even attract a Southampton reserve striker. Cant believe the difference between us and a club like Southampton who were pretty much in the same position when we went up from the champ. One had ambition, invested and have now cemented themselves in the premiership. We have now cemented ourselves in the Championship.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Sep 2013 09:11

paddy20 It was interesting to see that we could not even attract a Southampton reserve striker. Cant believe the difference between us and a club like Southampton who were pretty much in the same position when we went up from the champ

Even with the parachute payments we can't really compete on wage with a Premier League teams wages for new players this season.

Generally I think the reason we've struggled to close deals for the players we've been after is just because we've been aiming at a higher quality of player. We've not just been looking to bring in the likes of Akpan, Le Fondre and Blackman. We're actually looking to improve our team and not just add more average players to the squad.

For me that's the right way to go with the squad we have right now.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 04 Sep 2013 09:34

Royal Lady Snippets of interview with him during the morning on Andrew Peach show - basically kept going on about how they'd been talking to Sissoko and he had seen the set-up here - seemed clear to me it was just a bit of spin and NH doesn't think we'll get him, but thinks it will keep us quiet because we've been talking to him, thus showing our intent. I think it basically boils down to the fact that we can't afford the players we want - though no-one seems to admit that. :roll: Ady also played clips of AZ talking about bringing more players in and also NA talking about the same - NH said he could understand fans' frustrations, but we have bought in Drenthe, Williams and Bridge. Nothing was said that I didn't expect tbh.

Did he mention anything about getting rid of or selling?:-
Hunt
Church
Harte
Shorey
Mariappa
Kebe
It strikes me that we now have less players than before and a squad no stronger than that which was relegated now that Mariappa and Jimmy have gone and is unbalanced in it's make up.
As others have said in similar topics it is the hype that drives us fans mad and an overhaul of the club's PR is very long overdue going back to the sanctimonious utterings of the Mad Man in years gone by.

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Sep 2013 09:36

Hoop Blah
paddy20 It was interesting to see that we could not even attract a Southampton reserve striker. Cant believe the difference between us and a club like Southampton who were pretty much in the same position when we went up from the champ

Even with the parachute payments we can't really compete on wage with a Premier League teams wages for new players this season.

Generally I think the reason we've struggled to close deals for the players we've been after is just because we've been aiming at a higher quality of player. We've not just been looking to bring in the likes of Akpan, Le Fondre and Blackman. We're actually looking to improve our team and not just add more average players to the squad.

^ this

For all those saying "splash the cash", it really isn't that simple.

I suspect we thought that we had Hooper tied up earlier in the window - terms agreed with Celtic, but then Norwich came in and the player chose the Premier League over the Championship.
I also reckon we were close to Lambert, but then he got the England call up, and scored, and realised that he might have a chance to go to Brazil (but not if he was playing in the Championship).

We aimed high earlier in the window and tried to bring in some quality - the money is there to buy the players, but you can't make them come if they don't want to.

But what about the parachute payments I hear the mongs shout....

Well, what about them? As someone pointed out, they're there to help soften the blow to players wages when teams drop to the Championship, not to fund transfer activities...

Well, what about Wigan and QPR, they both spent money scream the uneducated....

Yes, they did, but QPR made over £13M in player sales (and spent some £16M so a net spend of just £3M) and Wigan made over £20M in sales and spent just £6M - WHERE'S THE MONEY GONE WHELAN?

Those slating Anton, NH etc and trying to stir up protests are simply spoilt, ignorant twats IMO; products of a generation who want the World on a plate, and want it now.....

Get behind the team and support it rather than undermining it....

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 04 Sep 2013 09:38

Tokyo Sex Whale I think there would be far less frustration and annoyance from the fans if there hadn't been the statements that we were close to signing three more players, and earlier in the window that AZ expected 7 new signings.

If expectation had been set that we would operate shrewdly to bring in three quality signings while holding on to any of our current signings that wanted to play for the club - there would be little backlash.

I have seen someone write never over promise and under deliver, and that is what has happened here.

Drenthe, Bridge and Williams are great signings that I am very happy with - but, I still feel disappointed as was told to expect more. It all boils down to a PR disaster.

Regardless of all of the above, I would always be annoyed Mariappa left as I hate that we sell a very good player who could make a big difference in our "promotion push". A tad short sighted IMO.

^^^^ this

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Sep 2013 09:41

I congratul8 Nick on his ability to resist going on the radio and saying you're all a bunch pf pcunts

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 04 Sep 2013 09:43

Davezk Usually my efforts to listen via the internet are prevented 'due to BBC contractual reasons'. Don't think I've ever managed to get it to work - thought it would be easier to ask here.

That would be live match coverage. The broadcast rights to the Peach show are not so heavily sought after...

Williams asked Hammond if he thought we needed a striker. Hammond agreed but admitted that we are not in a financial position to buy a striker. I think Anton has been very naive talking about 7 signings for telling Adkins he can have 3. My opinion is that this depended on selling Pogrebnyak, which we were unable to do. Of course they can hardly publically admit that, we are stuck with him now.

Its only ever been the fans and media talking about insane bids for Hooper, Austin, £20m budgets etc. But it does make a nonsense of Adkin's comments upon sacking Brian... if Brian didn't spend his budget, why isn't it available now.

Also the amount of abuse for Nick Hammond amazes me. Fans are so quick to turn loyal servants, first Brian then Nicky. People with over a decade long association with the club. Surely it boils down to whether Anton is a billionnaire or a schemer?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 04 Sep 2013 09:48

Cypry
Hoop Blah

^ this

For all those saying "splash the cash", it really isn't that simple.

I suspect we thought that we had Hooper tied up earlier in the window - terms agreed with Celtic, but then Norwich came in and the player chose the Premier League over the Championship.
I also reckon we were close to Lambert, but then he got the England call up, and scored, and realised that he might have a chance to go to Brazil (but not if he was playing in the Championship).

We aimed high earlier in the window and tried to bring in some quality - the money is there to buy the players, but you can't make them come if they don't want to.

But what about the parachute payments I hear the mongs shout....

Well, what about them? As someone pointed out, they're there to help soften the blow to players wages when teams drop to the Championship, not to fund transfer activities...

Well, what about Wigan and QPR, they both spent money scream the uneducated....

Yes, they did, but QPR made over £13M in player sales (and spent some £16M so a net spend of just £3M) and Wigan made over £20M in sales and spent just £6M - WHERE'S THE MONEY GONE WHELAN?

Those slating Anton, NH etc and trying to stir up protests are simply spoilt, ignorant twats IMO; products of a generation who want the World on a plate, and want it now.....

Get behind the team and support it rather than undermining it....

Of course splashing the cash isn't simple. We've got to readjust to being back in the Championship but I think this is the combined frustrations of three transfer windows of over promise and under delivery from those at the top.

A bit of honesty is all Reading fans want from those at the top. If you know we're only realistically negotiating with one player on deadline day. Just come out and say at 9am, 'we've worked hard throughout the window to get targets but haven't been able to do deals due to financial constraints. Today we're talking with one player but that's probably the only target we'll get today' That way you don't have fans waiting with baited breath for 24 hours only to see diddly squat materialise. Again that's the club's business but just manage expectations a lot better rather than dish out the constant patronising spin.

All we really got on deadline day was 24 hours of silence and then a couple of paragraphs at 2pm the next day.

Yes fans are generally impatient and maybe spoilt but you still have to make an effort to treat them like adults. You can't just allow weeks of press interviews and soundbites strongly suggesting we'll make signings and then meekly hide behind a wall of silence and then puto ut drivel about Sissoko.

As TSW said, it's a bit of a PR nightmare really but as we don't know why transfers have fallen through we can't know if it's Adkins, Hammond, Anton, TSI, or just pure bad luck.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Sep 2013 09:49

Did he mention anything about Gylfi coming back?

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 04 Sep 2013 09:56

Pepe the Horseman Did he mention anything about Gylfi coming back?

Pretty much a done deal by all accounts.

Esteban

by Esteban » 04 Sep 2013 09:57

Hoop Blah

Massive +1

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 04 Sep 2013 09:57

Pepe the Horseman Did he mention anything about Gylfi coming back?

Yes, signing tomorrow.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Sep 2013 09:58

Silver Fox I congratul8 Nick on his ability to resist going on the radio and saying you're all a bunch pf pcunts

Yeah congratulations Nick, because apparently everyone who just want the club to do a little bit better really want them to spend loads of dosh and go the same way as Portsmuff according to the everything's fine brigade.

Would've been happy quite with "Reading way" like signing's of a fourth choice cb, a back up LB and a striker (which unfortunately you have to spend a bit more on). For what it's worth I actually think Nick is getting most of the abuse unfairly and it's his boss that is the one who should be being scrutinised.
Last edited by sandman on 04 Sep 2013 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Sep 2013 10:00

Wimb
Tokyo Sex Whale I think there would be far less frustration and annoyance from the fans if there hadn't been the statements that we were close to signing three more players, and earlier in the window that AZ expected 7 new signings.

If expectation had been set that we would operate shrewdly to bring in three quality signings while holding on to any of our current signings that wanted to play for the club - there would be little backlash.

I have seen someone write never over promise and under deliver, and that is what has happened here.

Drenthe, Bridge and Williams are great signings that I am very happy with - but, I still feel disappointed as was told to expect more. It all boils down to a PR disaster.

Regardless of all of the above, I would always be annoyed Mariappa left as I hate that we sell a very good player who could make a big difference in our "promotion push". A tad short sighted IMO.

^^^^ this

I think it's been a bit of a PR disaster for the club, rightly or wrongly, but to be fair to them all they've done is be relatively open and honest and said they're looking to bring in a number of players to improve the squad. Unfortunately they've not been able to get the players they want, and I presume that's because those players have gone to the Premier League (or not wanted to leave it) and so instead of just adding dross to what was a bloated squad by the end of last season, they've concentrated on keeping the players the manager wanted and adding quality not quantity.

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Sep 2013 10:07

Wimb
Of course splashing the cash isn't simple. We've got to readjust to being back in the Championship but I think this is the combined frustrations of three transfer windows of over promise and under delivery from those at the top.

A bit of honesty is all Reading fans want from those at the top. If you know we're only realistically negotiating with one player on deadline day. Just come out and say at 9am, 'we've worked hard throughout the window to get targets but haven't been able to do deals due to financial constraints. Today we're talking with one player but that's probably the only target we'll get today' That way you don't have fans waiting with baited breath for 24 hours only to see diddly squat materialise. Again that's the club's business but just manage expectations a lot better rather than dish out the constant patronising spin.

All we really got on deadline day was 24 hours of silence and then a couple of paragraphs at 2pm the next day.

Yes fans are generally impatient and maybe spoilt but you still have to make an effort to treat them like adults. You can't just allow weeks of press interviews and soundbites strongly suggesting we'll make signings and then meekly hide behind a wall of silence and then puto ut drivel about Sissoko.

As TSW said, it's a bit of a PR nightmare really but as we don't know why transfers have fallen through we can't know if it's Adkins, Hammond, Anton, TSI, or just pure bad luck.

But this is exactly what I'm saying, there's every chance that "financial constraints" weren't the factor that meant we didn't get the players we were chasing.
Remind me, where did Cameron Jerome end up? Oh, yeah - at Palace in the Premier League - I think we were in with a shout at getting him, and could afford it, but he simply got (what he saw as) a better offer elsewhere - money doesn't have to come into it....

I'm sure that we did intend to sign up to 7 players, I'm sure we did hope to get 3 in as late as last week, but for whatever reason (and it doesn't have to simply be a case of we wouldn't pay the going rate), the players concerned chose to go elsewhere...

175 posts